Magnaflow Glasspack vs. Magnaflow Competition Series Exhaust System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Magnaflow Glasspack vs. Magnaflow Competition Series Exhaust System

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Shannondhuntley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Magnaflow Glasspack vs. Magnaflow Competition Series Exhaust System

I have a 97 TJ I6. I am stage emergency for muffler replacement. I have been listening to exhaust systems on youtube and exhaustvideos.com. That doesn't wholly do justice to the sound of anything cat back to me. I am wondering if anyone out in Jeep land would chime in. I think I have narrowed it down to Magnaflow Glasspack or Magnaflow Competition Series exhaust system. Not sure what to do with the cat as of yet. Leave it alone, get a high flow or just cut it out. Thoughts anyone?

S.D.

Shannondhuntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
tjthorson
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannondhuntley View Post
I have a 97 TJ I6. I am stage emergency for muffler replacement. I have been listening to exhaust systems on youtube and exhaustvideos.com. That doesn't wholly do justice to the sound of anything cat back to me. I am wondering if anyone out in Jeep land would chime in. I think I have narrowed it down to Magnaflow Glasspack or Magnaflow Competition Series exhaust system. Not sure what to do with the cat as of yet. Leave it alone, get a high flow or just cut it out. Thoughts anyone?

S.D.
The thought of most people here is that its just a 6 cylinder, in a jeep, and not a sports car. Put in a stock setup, save the money and be happy. You will not get any performance increase by purchasing any sort of a high flow setup - and as a matter of fact, you may decrease performance by cutting out that CAT, let alone that its illegal to do so. replace the pieces you need to, buy a cheap muffler and call it a day.

My .02 since you asked!
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
wiseguy52
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know it is illegal here in PA, but where do you live that you could remove the CAT? I have to pass emmissions testing every year with my inspection.
wiseguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That "cat" i believe is just a resignator used to limit the sound output more. there is no sensor after the muffler and resignator so you will still pass emissions fine.

i installed just a basic Magnaflow muffler on my jeep replacing the resignator and the stock muffler, i didnt notice any real power difference but that combined with my Airaid intake gave me another 1-2MPG.

It also sounds awesome.

my old muffler was very leaky so i didnt just do this for sound or power, i needed a new muffler.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
tjthorson
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
That "cat" i believe is just a resignator used to limit the sound output more. there is no sensor after the muffler and resignator so you will still pass emissions fine.

i installed just a basic Magnaflow muffler on my jeep replacing the resignator and the stock muffler, i didnt notice any real power difference but that combined with my Airaid intake gave me another 1-2MPG.

It also sounds awesome.

my old muffler was very leaky so i didnt just do this for sound or power, i needed a new muffler.
OK - so - just for the record, there is so much misinformation in this post I have to speak on it.

I believe the word you are looking for is "resonator". A catalytic converter is not a resonator. While a resonator can be removed from an exhaust system without much adverse affect, a catalytic converter cannot. It is against federal laws to cut them out - doesnt matter if you have an emissions test in your state or not.

An exhaust system that flows freer then stock will not increase MPG, if anything it decreases it. The ease at which the air flows out, will increase horsepower, which takes more fuel to compensate for the extra air. The backpressure of the cat and exhaust system is designed as part of the emissions system, as well as the performance of the engine. A slight amount of backpressure actually increases performance by keeping some exhaust in the combustion chamber. because of this - many cars actually see a decrease in horsepower, and a decrease in MPG with those "performance" exhaust systems. On the 4.0L jeep I6, a performance exhaust and/or an intake are a waste of money and do not increase performance at all. The stock system already flows more in and out then the engine can with the stock cam profile and head configuration.

The only thing you will gain is a lighter wallet and a louder vehicle.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy52
I know it is illegal here in PA, but where do you live that you could remove the CAT? I have to pass emmissions testing every year with my inspection.
I live in Florida. It's not illegal here and there are no vehicle inspections. Most trucks you see here are runnin straight pipes. I was thinkin about just hackin off my muffler as it is badly rusted.
markjolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Shannondhuntley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For clarity let's all get educated. It is from my friend named Google and he told me the following:

A catalytic converter (colloquially, "cat" or "catcon") is an exhaust emission control device which converts toxic chemicals in the exhaust of an internal combustion engine into less toxic substances. Inside a catalytic converter, a catalyst stimulates a chemical reaction in which noxious byproducts of combustion are converted to less toxic substances by way of catalysed chemical reactions. The specific reactions vary with the type of catalyst installed. Most present-day vehicles that run on gasoline are fitted with a "three way" converter, so named because it converts the three main pollutants in automobile exhaust: an oxidising reaction converts carbon monoxide (CO) and unburned hydrocarbons (HC), and a reduction reaction converts oxides of nitrogen (NOx) to produce carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen (N2), and water (H2O).

Just thought this would be beneficial (from a legal standpoint), and realized how misinformed some people are on the topic. I'm surprised there isn't some sort of sticky on this by now with all the threads out there!

According to Title II of the EPA Clean Air Act (Enacted Jan 1 1988) there are multiple regulations concerning the use or misuse of aftermarket catalytic converters, or the removal and/or modification of a stock catalytic converter. According to various parts of Section 203, all aftermarket catalytic converters must be EPA certified, and your car must have a gas conversion device of some manner. If not, both you and the installer are punishable of a Federal Offense by Section 205 (a). The operator's fine can be no more than $2,500 and the installation agency no more than $25,000.

It is also important to note the 1988 establishment of this statute, which could probably be your best legal defense to anyone operating a pre-1988 vehicle with street-illegal equipment. It is in the courts' hands to prove your system was installed post-1988 beyond a shadow of a doubt, as they cannot try you ex post facto. This would at least be helpful in any sort of plea-bargaining.

Now, in reality, most states do not run thorough emission control programs and some of those that do are loosely enforced. More than likely, most local offenses (on the off chance you are caught during a routine traffic stop) would be swept under the table and marked as some sort of equipment violation, because this is how the local ordinances make money. Its much more beneficial to police to fine you locally (as they will actually see that money) as opposed to reporting you in violation of a federal statute, as they will probably see none of that money come back to their area. Besides, the federal government has better things to do with their time.

I don't really have much of an opinion on this issue; I am all for emission control, but I am all for people having the liberty to rip their catalytic converters out as well (hypocritical, I know). And whether you like it or not, making an educated decision is important before you take any sort of risk.
Unread 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjolly View Post
I live in Florida. It's not illegal here and there are no vehicle inspections. Most trucks you see here are runnin straight pipes. I was thinkin about just hackin off my muffler as it is badly rusted.
It's illegal to remove the catalytic converter from your TJ in any state, give your DMV a call to find out...
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
markjolly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

It's illegal to remove the catalytic converter from your TJ in any state, give your DMV a call to find out...
Oh... Didn't know that. Thanks
markjolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I removed the cat and muffler on my 4.0 a little while back (effectively made it straight piped) and while I'll admit it was faster at high rpm, I lost a lot of low end grunt and my mpg got even worse. Wasn't a pleasurable jeep to drive.
Then that got real old real fast so I just put my muffler back on and kept the cat off. Definitely an improvement, but I got bored a couple months ago and decided to put the cat back on. i can HONESTLY say the jeep runs better with the cat and muffler both on. I'm really not just saying that. But I'm sure you're going to remove the cat anyway, because that's exactly what I did Guarantee it'll go back on soon enough
MallCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallCrawling View Post
I removed the cat and muffler on my 4.0 a little while back (effectively made it straight piped) and while I'll admit it was faster at high rpm, I lost a lot of low end grunt and my mpg got even worse. Wasn't a pleasurable jeep to drive.
Then that got real old real fast so I just put my muffler back on and kept the cat off. Definitely an improvement, but I got bored a couple months ago and decided to put the cat back on. i can HONESTLY say the jeep runs better with the cat and muffler both on. I'm really not just saying that. But I'm sure you're going to remove the cat anyway, because that's exactly what I did Guarantee it'll go back on soon enough
So young, yet not so dumb. You get a for that one...
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
So young, yet not so dumb. You get a for that one...
Thanks! Means a lot coming from you
MallCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok so TJ's have Cats right after the headers, i am calling that extra container by the muffler a resonator which doesnt do anything for emmissions. am i wrong or is this another cat? I still have the Cat or cats i cant remember if its one or two right after the header.

The only reason i have an aftermarket intake is because the stock intake wont fit with TNT tube fenders and the only reason i have aftermarket exhaust is because my old muffler had a nice hole rot in it. I would still run a stock setup if i could, but i do like how my jeep sounds now and i did this in a period of time when i was checking my gas mileage regularly and it did seem to increase the fuel mileage slightly.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
ok so TJ's have Cats right after the headers, i am calling that extra container by the muffler a resonator which doesnt do anything for emmissions. am i wrong or is this another cat? I still have the Cat or cats i cant remember if its one or two right after the header.

The only reason i have an aftermarket intake is because the stock intake wont fit with TNT tube fenders and the only reason i have aftermarket exhaust is because my old muffler had a nice hole rot in it. I would still run a stock setup if i could, but i do like how my jeep sounds now and i did this in a period of time when i was checking my gas mileage regularly and it did seem to increase the fuel mileage slightly.
The extra container right by the muffler is in fact another cat. You have the two mini cats right after the header and then the bigger cat above the T-case skid plate in front of the muffler.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Shannondhuntley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Didn't I just say that along with the EPA Laws? No one needs to call their DMV. It is a federal law. For ALL 50 states...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.