Lucas Xtra heavy grease - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lucas Xtra heavy grease

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lucas Xtra heavy grease

I bought some Lucas Xtra heavy grease to replace the moly grease i was using in the jeeps frt end joints.Now comes the unhappy part,after using this for about 6 months my ball joints have lots play in them.Anyone else using this green Lucas grease and did you have trouble?

I'm going to switch back to the moly grease i was buying from walmart.I've used it for years and never ever had a worn joint.I guess i made a stupid mistake thinking the Lucas grease was as good as their fuel additive.

Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
I'm going to switch back to the moly grease i was buying from walmart.I've used it for years and never ever had a worn joint.I guess i made a stupid mistake thinking the Lucas grease was as good as their fuel additive.
very basic rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lucas red and tacky is awesome. I havent used anything but it on the last 4 jeeps I have owned. (I figure if I cant even wipe it off my skin, or steam clean it off the carport..it's going to hold in a joint pretty well )
Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
very basic rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
What can i say...what really frosts me is i recommended the moly grease to a friend of mine a few years ago after he had constant ball joint failures!It fixed his trouble and he had no more failures.Now i go and switch and get snake bit.I'm a IDGET!
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnys TJ View Post
Lucas red and tacky is awesome. I havent used anything but it on the last 4 jeeps I have owned. (I figure if I cant even wipe it off my skin, or steam clean it off the carport..it's going to hold in a joint pretty well )
x2 It's great stuff. Ive used it for a few years now.
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not using the red and tacky,its the green Xtra i bought.Anyone know the max allowable ball joint wear measurement before i look it up?
Unread 02-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm after looking through the 98 service manual i can't find any info on the max amount of ball joint play.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.