Ok this bug has bit and is going nowhere so I guess I will start a build thread so I can document and reference what I have done and am in the process of doing to my new to me TJ. I am planning a fairly modest build and am looking for a good solid rig that is both capable and reliable enough to just jump in hit the road or the trail and see where it brings me. You know what they say "You never see a jeep parked outside of a psychiatrist's office
I grew up as a kid wrenching on FJ40's and we had several of them in the family and still do. I am just returning to the jeep world after a 10+ year hiatus with 4wd atv's. While I will always love the FJ40's I decided to try the jeep brand for the first time this go round and am very happy I did. I have rented them several times on vacations and always loved driving them. So my search began.
After months of looking I finally worked a deal on my Lil' Mule. It seemed like a pretty solid build and culmination of products that would set me in the direction I wanted to head with little waste in things I would not have done. I have never been able to leave anything I have owned alone so let the build begin.
Here is what I started with:
97 TJ tub on an 03 Rubicon chassis
• HAS A NEWLY REBUILT MOTOR 4.0 6 CYL WITH 4.6 STROKER KIT AROUND 3,000 MILES ON IT
• 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION WITH A TRANSFER CASE SLIP YOKE ELIMINATOR KIT INSTALLED ALSO A TERA LOW 4:1 KIT WITH 2WD LOW
• HAS C.V. DRIVESHAFT
•BOTH AXLES ARE LOCKED WITH Factory Rubicon Air LOCKERS AND HAVE YUKON 4.10 GEARS, ALL SEALS AND BEARINGS WERE REPLACE AROUND 1 MONTHS AGO.
• FRONT AXLE IS A DANA 44 WITH YUKON GEARS AND Alloy USA CHROMOLY INNER AND OUTER SHAFTS
• REAR AXLE IS A DANA 44 WITH YUKON GEARS AND Alloy USA CHROMOLY SHAFTS
• NICE RED PAINT
• 5 MICKY THOMPSON CLASSIC LOCK 15x10 WHEELS WITH RED AND SILVER BEADLOCK RINGS
• 4 33X12.50-15 AT RADIAL TIRES AROUND 3,000 MILES (37" TIRES WILL FIT WITH VERY LITTLE MODIFICATIONS)
• CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER WITH WINCH PLATE AND 2 HOOK POINTS WITH CLEVIS
• REAR HAS A SWING OUT TIRE CARRIER
• HAS A WARN 9000XDI WINCH (NEW)
• HAS A FULL UNDER BODY SKID PLATE AND GAS TANK SKID
• BLACK HALF TOP SOFTOP
• REAR CARGO RACK
• MASTERCRAFT RUBICON DIRT SPORT SEATS (RED AND BLACK)
• MASTERCRAFT 5PT HARNESSES
• CD PLAYER
• OVERHEAD SOUND BAR
• CB INSTALLED IN LOCKING CONSOLE
• HAND THROTTLE MOUNTED ON B&M SHIFTER
• 4" SUPER LIFT KIT WITH 2" COIL SPACER FOR A TOTAL OF 6" OF LIFT
• QUICK SWAY BAR DISCONNECTS
Seemed to be a good foundation to build on.
On the trailer loaded up and ready to go to a new home.
We spent 3 days in Gatlinburg on the drive home and had a great time. Such a beautiful part of the country. Here is a pic from the balcony of our room. Can't wait to go back there.
Made it home and in the driveway.
It is my intent to document here all that I am doing to my jeep and if any info gives ideas or helps others in their builds then I have achieved one of my goals. I will generally post all full write-ups I do in a separate thread as well as on this one but will only post all that I do to the jeep on here. This way I will have a living thread containing all that I have done. If you have any questions or comments along the way let me know.