LSD For Front Rubicon Locking Axle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
my05rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

LSD For Front Rubicon Locking Axle

I drive in a lot of snow and know that locking the front axle is useless, no steering. But would like more traction from the front wheels in 4wd.

Is there a LSD that can be installed with a Rubicon front locking axle? Like a geared Tru-trac LSD?

Can a rear Rubicon LSD/locking axle assembly be installed in the front Rubicon axle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you speaking of 4wh low or 4wh high?
post #3 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 07:29 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You need to look under the article section up above on your toolbar! Hit that link and scroll down to the Bypass of Factory Locker Switch article!

post #4 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

you can swap the front to the rear and vice versa. lots of Rubi owners have swapped out the rear unit in favor of the stronger front rubi case.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 PM
QuickSilverCon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
You need to look under the article section up above on your toolbar! Hit that link and scroll down to the Bypass of Factory Locker Switch article!
he says he doesn't want to lock the front, because of the difficulty steering.

You SHOULD be able to purchase a rear LSD/locker and install it in your front, but the rear locker is known to be weaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
I think you are confusing the right to free speech with the right to be a **** bag, only one is protected by the constitution.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 PM
jdragger

I thought the TJ Rubi's had a tru track style LSD when the air locker wasn't engaged and that the electrics in the JK were open. Or is that only on aftermarket air lockers?
post #7 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 PM
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my Rubi has a 4 high. he doesn't want a locker, he has that already. he wants to add a LSD and a locker. the easiest (only way that I can think of) is to swap his carrier with a rear carrier from a TJ Rubi.

jdragger, the TJ Rubis has open/locked diffs in front and a LSD/locked diff in rear, all air operated. from what I understand the electric JK Rubi lockers are all open/locked regardless of which diff (front or rear) its in
post #8 of 28 Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
jdragger

Got it. Thanks. So my05rubi can accomplish steerable LSD with a rear locker in the front. Right?
post #9 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 06:34 AM
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thats right but the rear LSD/locker on the rubis is known to be weaker than the front open/locked carrier
post #10 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
my05rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Even though the rear may be weaker, I don't thrash it around that much in rocks, etc, so putting a rear Rubi LSD/locker in the front, may be the plan.

Thanks for the input.
post #11 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you dont want a LSD in front. you want what you have, a full open or fully locked locker on a switch. a LSD front will be much worse in the snow.

you should always drive in snow on the street fully unlocked.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #12 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 07:51 AM
never monday
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can't recommend an LSD for a front axle.

For years I auto crossed and road raced Hondas. We would run an 80% limited slip in them. In the rain it was a hand full. Even if you wanted to turn the car would go straight. I can't imagine how it would be in snow and ice.
Being locked or limited int he rear is easier to deal with in a low traction situation. The truck will be predictable in how it steps out to a fish tail and you can catch it.

post #13 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
you dont want a LSD in front. you want what you have, a full open or fully locked locker on a switch. a LSD front will be much worse in the snow.

An LSD will be much worse in front in the snow than what? The Detroit Truetrac LSD when in the front, rear, or both axles is excellent on snow or ice.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #14 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 03:52 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

Total agreement. I have run lsd in front, and in the winter I did NOT like it. Bad handling characteristics.
I'd never do it again, unless it was a truetrac.
Selectable open/locker is the best of both worlds.

|
|
post #15 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
An LSD will be much worse in front in the snow than what? The Detroit Truetrac LSD when in the front, rear, or both axles is excellent on snow or ice.
LSD will be much worse in snow than an open diff (or selectable locker) in a Jeep. You don't have to drive on ice covered roads with your LSDs front and rear. Selectable lockers are the best of both worlds, we're not talking about viscous coupling differentials with variable torque distributions here.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.