LSD diff and Anti-spin diff... What's the difference? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LSD diff and Anti-spin diff... What's the difference?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

LSD diff and Anti-spin diff... What's the difference?

I have allways thought that my TJ had an LSD rear diff. I was just reading the build sheet I got from the dealership and it says DSAP Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle. So is this also an LSD diff or what?
Also I have noticed that the front D30 carrier looks exactly the same as the rear D44 carrier and spider gears! I mean there are no clutches or anything else in my rear "Anti-Spin" D44 it looks like a normal open diff.

How does this Anti-Spin system work???

And how can I test it?

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 09-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That "Anti-Spin" is another term for the optional (extra cost) Tracloc limited slip differential your TJ apparently has. Your front axle is a Dana 30. It looks a lot like the Dana 44 but it's not. And the front Dana 30 is always open, it never comes with any kind of limited slip differential or locker.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That "Anti-Spin" is another term for the optional (extra cost) Tracloc limited slip differential your TJ apparently has. Your front axle is a Dana 30. It looks a lot like the Dana 44 but it's not. And the front Dana 30 is always open, it never comes with any kind of limited slip differential or locker.
But where is the Tracloc mechanism? Where are the parts in my rear carrier that does this? It just looks as an open diff. Normal carrier, normal spider gears and normal open diff setup!!!

How can I test it to see if it's working or not?
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

IF you do indeed have the Traclock, it is just tucked into the side of the inside of the carrier. You will still see the spider gears inside the carrier. they are still present with the Tracloc.

Jack up the rear axle and spin one of the tires. If the other tire spins in the same direction, the Tracloc is still at least partially functional. If the other tire spins in the opposite direction, either the Tracloc's clutch pack is worn out or there is no Tracloc LSD present.

In the below photo, the carrier on the left is open. The carrier on the right is the Tracloc carrier.
dana35openvs_traclokcarriers-copy.jpg  

Unread 09-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
IF you do indeed have the Traclock, it is just tucked into the side of the inside of the carrier. You will still see the spider gears inside the carrier. they are still present with the Tracloc.

Jack up the rear axle and spin one of the tires. If the other tire spins in the same direction, the Tracloc is still at least partially functional. If the other tire spins in the opposite direction, either the Tracloc's clutch pack is worn out or there is no Tracloc LSD present.

In the below photo, the carrier on the left is open. The carrier on the right is the Tracloc carrier.
I don't think it moves in the same direction. As I recall it spens in the opposite direction. Allways has been this way What should I do now?? I have to fix it, right?
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the carrier on the right which verifies you have the Tracloc LSD, its clutch pack can be replaced to restore it back to operation. Doing so won't be all that cheap to do however.

However, the Tracloc is not that good of a LSD to begin with and for the cost of rebuilding it, I would replace it with the much better Detroit Truetrac LSD. The Detroit Truetrac is gear based so it does not need or use a clutch pack that wears out like the Tracloc does. The Detroit Truetrac will hold up much better too, it is a much (!) better performing LSD than any other LSD out there.

Unread 09-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you have the carrier on the right which verifies you have the Tracloc LSD, its clutch pack can be replaced to restore it back to operation. Doing so won't be all that cheap to do however.

However, the Tracloc is not that good of a LSD to begin with and for the cost of rebuilding it, I would replace it with the much better Detroit Truetrac LSD. The Detroit Truetrac is gear based so it does not need or use a clutch pack that wears out like the Tracloc does. The Detroit Truetrac will hold up much better too, it is a much (!) better performing LSD than any other LSD out there.
I get your point Jerry and thanks for the advice and info

I will look into replacing the whole system as you advised. I'm still waiting on my front aussie locker to arrive. So I will be getting into the rear diff right after I finish up the front

Man it just never ends with jeep builds, does it?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.