lowering shifter? HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lowering shifter? HELP

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
pvjeeper

lowering shifter? HELP

ok so my dad had a jeep right 91 and he got a 2 inch body lift and 31's and he said that him and his friend had to grind out where the shifter was and when it was all over the shifter was lower. Why does this happen and will I have to do this to my 97 wrangler if i get a suspension lift? appreciate the HELP

pvjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The transmission is bolted to the frame of the Jeep. The body lift raises the body off of the frame. The shifter stays in the same spot and the tub of the Jeep rises around it.
Unread 04-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
pvjeeper

so i dont have to do all the stuff if i get a suspension? would i have to do anything besides just the lift in a suspension lift, with the body or frame or anything?
pvjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you only lift the suspension, you will not have problems with the shifter. I have a 1" body lift and my shifter dropped, but it feels better where it is now.
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
bclevenger

If you go with a 4" suspension you have to lower the transfer case with supplied spacers....this makes the shifter hit...so you have to heat and bend the shifter or just put in a B&M short shifter.....a MUCH better alternative and awesome shift feel, short throws, tight and firm(just the way I lik'em) Brian
bclevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You don't need to adjust anything with the t-case when you lift. All he needs is a SYE.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.