Lowering from 6 inches lift to 4 inch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lowering from 6 inches lift to 4 inch

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
ptrj96
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lowering from 6 inches lift to 4 inch

Alright so i have a 98 wrangler with a RC 6 inch long arm kit on it and 35s, i understand many of you have poor opinions of the lift but that is not important right now, i am currently custom fabing tube fenders for it and would like to lower it from the 6 inches of lift to around 4 inches
1) would i need shorter shocks if i lower it
2) what coil springs would you guys recommend
Thanks!

ptrj96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You probably should get shorter shocks. You could outboard the rears and probably get away with them. Go with Currie Springs.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
ptrj96
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok, where would the best place to get currie springs be and how much would they cost, and what shocks would you recommend?
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you'll need to address bumpstop extensions, shocks, springs, brake line length, control arm length, axle position, caster, pinion angle, alignment, sway bar link length, track bar lengths, and of course verify clearances at full bump, full droop & full flex, turning the wheels lock to lock, with the springs removed.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
ptrj96
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
you'll need to address bumpstop extensions, shocks, springs, brake line length, control arm length, axle position, caster, pinion angle, alignment, sway bar link length, track bar lengths, and of course verify clearances at full bump, full droop & full flex, turning the wheels lock to lock, with the springs removed.
i already have the bumpstop extensions, i have extended stainless steel brake lines, i have adjustable control arms, sway bar links, and track bar so i'll have to tune everything that goes along with that, i'll make sure to take and get it aligned, i will have enough clearance no problem because of the tube fenders and a little trimming in the rear, but what do you suggest for shocks and springs? I might end up having to run the same shocks for a little bit, what would be the downfall of having the longer shocks with the shorter springs? wouldn't that just increase my down travel?

Last edited by ptrj96; 09-05-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
Alarcon92yj

Hi I recently bout a yj with a 6 inch lift that I want to drop to a 4 inch. Just wondering if you got it done and any ideas as to where to start? I'm a newbee to the jeep world. Thanks
Alarcon92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
glwood6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarcon92yj View Post
Hi I recently bout a yj with a 6 inch lift that I want to drop to a 4 inch. Just wondering if you got it done and any ideas as to where to start? I'm a newbee to the jeep world. Thanks
You'll find better info on the YJ forum instead of the TJ. Leaf springs vs. coils.
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarcon92yj View Post
Ask over at this link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/
Unread 08-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Would be easier to stay with a 6" lift and just get new coils and shocks. Although I don't blame you for wanting to lower it a bit, 6" is pretty tall.
1ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.