Lower radiator hose leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower radiator hose leaking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lower radiator hose leaking

I recently had my radiator replaced and keep noticing antifreeze spray on my front axle. I looked under and saw that the lower radiator hose had a trail of anitfreeze from where it connects to the engine.

Ive replaced my upper hose and that was a super easy. But for the lower radiator hose I know I'll need to drain the radiator fluid of course but there is a spring in the lower hose correct? that prevents the hose from crushing under vacuum.
I already have a lower hose to replace it but is it easy to put the spring in the new one?
Oh and is it a real pain to reconnect the lower hose to where it connects to the engine??

thanks

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
XJohnnyC

The spring will stretch as you pull it out of the old hose. So it may be easier to remove if you cut the hose along the entire length. To install the spring into the new hose, just start pushing and rotating the spring and it should go in with no problem.

If it does get hung up, like it just did on mine, you can cut the spring in half, and insert one piece from either end of the hose. Just make sure that the ends of the spring are pointed inwards so that they don't get snagged inside the hose.

I find that the lower hose is easier to install from the bottom, laying on your back.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

A new hose is not going to have the spring!Older hoses did, but not the newer types!Just buy a new lower hose an install...piece of cake!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is about a 90% chance that your hose is not leaking and that it is actually your water pump weep hole leaking onto the hose. So check that out first. It's real easy to replace the lower hose while replacing the pump....
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

whats the best way to check if its my water pump weep hole and not a bad lower hose connection?

wait the lower hose it connected to the water pump correct? sorry im still learning my engine parts

Mechanical Engineer
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well being that your radiator is a pressurized system, the easiest way to check it is while it is running and under pressure. also, cj847 is probably right. its more then likely your water pump. its all easy work though. i did mine in my driveway with a friend in about 5 hours.that was with removing the radiator and fan, cleaning out the radiator and flushing the whole system.
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

dang, i really dont have the tools right now to remove the radiator again, so should I just replace the water pump?
do water pumps go out eventually anyways?

Mechanical Engineer
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yes they do go, but theres no saying that it is.

the only tools you need are a set of metric and standard sockets.

and just check it when your engines running. you'll see where its coming from.
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

with the engine running will i see it squirting out?

Mechanical Engineer
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

To check the week hole, look from under the jeep. Shine a flashlight on the water pump. You will see a small hole in the bottom of the casting. If it is all gunkie or has green water coming out, it means your seal is going out and you have to replace the pump.
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
wlmonk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not trying to be a smarta** here but have you checked to make sure the hose clamp is tight enough?
wlmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmonk View Post
Not trying to be a smarta** here but have you checked to make sure the hose clamp is tight enough?
i plan on checking that too, i think the stock clamps are pieces of junk

Mechanical Engineer
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Watch out for issues with which year hose you have. There seem to be problems with some part numbers for 99 and 2000's. When you go to replace the hose watch out how the new one fits.
Unread 10-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

well dang im pretty sure it is the water pump now. there is now always a pool of coolant if i let me jeep sit in the parking lot for a while.
i think ill try and tackle this project myself and go get one at advance auto parts. ive look around for water pump write up's
is this a hard install and are advance auto parts' water pumps decent?

Mechanical Engineer
Unread 10-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would buy a factory water pump, or an equivelent OEM after market one to avoid problems in the future. Jerry pointed out in another thread that there is a definite difference in the cheap ones. I would not go with a rebuilt unit. Just my opinion. Not a hard job. If you're replacing the w.p., might as well flush the system, change heater hoses, replace thermastat.

Napa has a decent OEM replacement. Mine went out on a Saturday, the Jeep parts place wasn't open, and I needed the Jeep to drive to work on Monday. Purchased theirs and when comparing it to the original I took out, it seemed pretty comparable. Would still go with factory if I had the chance.

Last edited by garybattles; 10-08-2010 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: more info
garybattles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.