lower lift, bigger tires, longer bumpstops? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lower lift, bigger tires, longer bumpstops?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 04-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
BNovak

lower lift, bigger tires, longer bumpstops?

Ok so here's what I was thinking this morning and wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Maybe I'm crazy though.....

I know the measurement points are lousy, but it at least gives you an idea -

right now I'm running 33's (measure to about 31.5) and have about 12" between the top of the tires and the BOTTOM of my fender flares (the lowest point.)

I'm thinking of going to 35's or 36's which still leaves me with quite a bit of fender gap. I'm wondering if I can drop my springs an inch (of the BL) and just increase the bumpstops to keep the wheels from rubbing.

So, the question is, if I limit the UPTRAVEL to about 5 or 6" is this going to hurt any traction?

I'm just getting sick of this thing being so damned tall but I want the taller tires.

Sorry - I know, long winded today.

Thanks
-BN

Unread 04-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think you'll be fine. I know quite a few guys around here (myself included) that run 35's with 4" suspension and 1" body.
Unread 04-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
jayr

A veteran Jeeper in one of our clubs has a Rubi with 2" coil spacers and a 2" BL and runs 35s no problem. Youd swear they were 33s cause the Jeep sits lower than most with 35s.
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

AHere's a shot fully flexed in the front on the bumpstop.
Unread 04-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Spiderman

If the bumpstops are too long, you'll bang your axle going over bumps ect. It's not fun, I've been there.
33 X 12.50 BFG A/T's with A/R Atlas 15 X 8 wheels
4.56's, RE 3.5" lift, Currie 1" BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML
Aussie D30 Locker, & other crap[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
BNovak

even dropping the springs an inch (or getting rid of the BL) I figure I'll still have at least 8 inches of travel between the bumpstops. (I've hammered bumpstops before, it hurts)

I'll try and snap a picture tonite - my rig looks retarded with the enormous fender gap & 33's. Maybe I'll just run 36's.

-BN
Unread 04-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd remove the bl before lowering the springs.
Unread 04-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiefire702
I'd remove the bl before lowering the springs.
if he's complaining about being too tall, it'll help with the COG to drop the springs down a bit, rather than removing the BL ...

Low(er) COG = GOOD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.