Lower door hinge on windshield hinge bracket for mirror - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lower door hinge on windshield hinge bracket for mirror

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lower door hinge on windshield hinge bracket for mirror

Wait a minute. Hold on just a minute.

I've been really struggling with getting some 2-piece soft doors (uppers and lowers) that could be thrown in the back when not in use but could be thrown right back on if the weather turns wet or the mud comes calling or whatever. I want to do it, but I've not been able to figure out what to do with the mirrors. Most of the existing solutions are pretty crappy, to be frank. You usually can't see the passenger side mirror much, it looks awkward, it vibrates excessively, etc, if all the reviews are to be believed, and I have zero fabrication ability to invent something new myself. And I just bought this awesome Jeepit mirror setup that I like better than the factory mirrors--they're great with the doors off but will have to come off again to put the doors back on. But then I saw this picture when looking at Shrockworks' rocker guards, and it set a light bulb off over my head. Check it out:

OK, I have no idea what mirror solution that is, and no search has turned up anything (maybe I'm just not using the right terms?). EDIT: I'm pretty sure they're these. But all of a sudden an idea occurred to me that would make it a non-issue.

I went out to the garage and measured it, and it looks as though it's the exact same set of screws with the exact same measurements between them. If this can be done, then shouldn't it be a simple matter of obtaining a pair of those lower hinges and mounting them up there on top of the existing bracket (or aftermarket bracket with light tab, if that's what you're into), at which point the Jeepit mirror mounts or similar solution of your choice can be set up on that hinge in such a way that they're now easily visible on both sides and don't ever have to come off regardless of full doors, half doors, soft doors, etc?

Someone please tell me it's that easy.

Last edited by Deacon; 06-03-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

i am trying to figure out the same thing but my added issue is the snorkle on the passenger side. i think in California its ok to not have a passenger side mirror as long as you have that rear view mirror and vice versa
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bumper music.
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK, well, does anyone know where I might acquire a lower door hinge by itself? Well, a pair of them really, but you know what I mean...

Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Junkyard? Jeepsareus.com?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I guess that's where I've got. Looks like Jeeps Are Us may have it, if I can figure out which of the pieces I'm looking at. Looks like it's either 18 or 19 (note that the numbers in the illustration seem to be cut off on the left), right?
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, after looking at the Jeep OEM Parts Catalog, it does appear to be part 18 of the Jeeps Are Us catalog, the body half of the hinge for $26.75. Man, that's a lot of money when I need a pair of them. I'm thinking I may take it to a body guy I've got here in town and see if he can take the upper windshield hinge off, cut a rectangular hole in it, insert and weld in the hinge piece, bondo it over, and paint it up to look as though it were supposed to be like that, so everything's on the same level, counter-sunk, whatever you call it. Assuming it ends up working properly in general, that is

Does this make sense to anyone else, or am I just some crazy mad scientist who'll shortly have buyer's remorse?
Unread 06-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If they do line up, the winshield bracket bolts are angled. That will put the mirror at an angle towards the door opening. Will you be able to open the door?
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's certainly something I've been wondering about myself. I plan on mocking it up on some cardboard and testing it out with the Jeepit mounts to see if it might work. Not only does the angle make me wonder whether the doors will clear but also whether the mirror itself can be set at a usable angle; I'm concerned it may run out of vertical adjustment travel with the mount at that angle. I asked Davey's Jeeps about pricing on some of their part-out TJ's, and hopefully they can come through to make it more affordable. I can't imagine it's a commonly requested part in high demand...

EDIT: Unfortuantely David from Davey's Jeeps priced them at the same price as the local junkyard plus $13 shipping (these things would do so much better in a small flat-rate box or envelope from USPS). I would've taken him up on it, though, if he'd had them in red, since the local junkyard only had a blue TJ donor. Unfortunately, the red donor pics on the site either aren't accurate or otherwise unavailable, because there are no red ones
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to ask about paint. I'd go with black since the mirrors are black or that bracket is so small. factory match rattle can paint would be fine.

Without going out and looking at mine, is the lower hinge painted with the body or separate, or in other words, is there a break already in the paint? Take one of you hinges off and trial fit it.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Yeah, I guess that's where I've got. Looks like Jeeps Are Us may have it, if I can figure out which of the pieces I'm looking at. Looks like it's either 18 or 19 (note that the numbers in the illustration seem to be cut off on the left), right?
You're looking for #18.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13010_102.htm
$25 for a pair and they're stainless.
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, hey, I didn't even think to look there. Nice! It looks like you can get a pair (not stainless) for $15, too. Is Kentrol and/or stainless really that important?

Load strength certainly isn't an issue, consider it's just for holding the mirrors... Actually, now that I think of it, the thinner the plate itself the better (within reason). I'm kinda getting all excited about it now
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Actually, I found a pair of black stainless by Smittybilt at 4 Wheel Parts which they ordered in for me at $9.99 and should be here Monday. I'm so excited to try it out! If it works out well I should talk to the Jeepit guys and give them the idea so they can save other people the hassle
Unread 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, once again inspiration has struck, and reality has struck back, angrily. It was a good idea, but there's probably a reason nobody's ever heard of this being done before: it doesn't work. Sure, it'll bolt on right over the top of the bracket, but it fails for two reasons: 1) bad angle on the mirror mounts and 2) with the Jeepit mounts, even if the angle worked it'd be a pain the *** to tighten everything down hard enough without scratching up the paint. The real tragedy is that this is a good idea, but it would take someone with the resources and know-how to fab it up, dealing with the proper angles and such. I'll probably just end up going with those Rugged Ridge mirrors shown in the OP. I want to be able to put the steel doors on, take them off, throw the soft doors on, take them off, etc, at will, without having to contend with constant mirror issues.

Here's a pic, btw. I now have an extra set of hinges of what may be questionable quality for actual full steel door hanging. Hey, for $10 it was worth a shot. By the way, I was scared I might strip the factory torx bolts, as I had to lean hard on a ratcheting socket driver to break them loose, but the blue loctite on the inside finally broke, and they came out fine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.