low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #121
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Whoa! What happened to Mudb8?

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #122
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Family troubles man.....Good luck Mud
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #123
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yeah man, good luck...we love you here on JF...and that's in a totally "no homo" way! haha

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #124
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

LOL~! Seriously though you've done alot for the jeeper on a budget Mud......Hope everything turns around for ya
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #125
tucanbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
If you take a look at the upper shock mount hole, you'll see it's a large square hole.
The Tera adapter fits up through the hole and bolts to the x-member using the factory shock bolts. you knock out the Bar pin, insert the correct shock bushing sleeve, bolt the adapter to the shock as if it were a BPE then stick it in place the same as you normally would when replacing rear shocks. the adapter requires a BL because they stick up an inch through the top of the x-member when installed.
since there isn't a similar product out like you are making, and you don't seem to be making any right now... is this teraflex product a good substitution? I really need to remedy this before I swap axles in a few weeks.
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #126
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Man I bought the Terra upper shock brackets and they seem to work fine. I'm running a 10" travel shock for a 4" lift on 2.5" RCX springs and I have about 4"+ of uptravel using the stock lower mounting location. I think Im gonna relocate the lower mount and go with 12" travel shocks when the Skyjacker Hydros wear or rust out.
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #127
tucanbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Man I bought the Terra upper shock brackets and they seem to work fine. I'm running a 10" travel shock for a 4" lift on 2.5" RCX springs and I have about 4"+ of uptravel using the stock lower mounting location. I think Im gonna relocate the lower mount and go with 12" travel shocks when the Skyjacker Hydros wear or rust out.
that is exactly what I'm looking for. thanks. I have the same setup.
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #128
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Can you post some pics? I'm interested in these but there isn't much for pics of them mounted w shocks installed.

Thanks.
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #129
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In a word....NO. LoL My camera died when my 4yr old dropped it in a mud hole on a Memorial Day trail ride....I will say that I did have to mod the top of the Skyjacker Shocks so that they would work with the Terra relocatiors. I had to grind the "washer" off the shaft, where the red boot hooks to the end of the shocks' shaft, so that the shocks could move from side to side and not connect the bracket. I ground all the "washer" thing off. I may have some pics somewhere of just the shocks and terra bracket before I installed them though....I'll c if I can find them.
Unread 07-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #130
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Whoa! What happened to Mudb8?
LOL, I'm starting to come around more, I haven't stopped the fabrication at all, just trying to concentrate on the important things, Now I'm sporting an XJ so we'll be seeing what I have cooking for that POS soon as well.... I MISS my rubi. I haven't figured how to put a BL on it yet tho

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #131
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see you back Mud!!! Xj's go good man. Cant wait to see what you can cook up for one of those.

rs4race here you go. I found these saved on my computer from when I did my frame swap. You can see how the Terra brackets mount up through the rear cross member. You also catch a glimse of my little Jeep Tech in training!!!! My life would be very dull without him!!

Unread 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #132
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Glad to see you back Mud!!! Xj's go good man. Cant wait to see what you can cook up for one of those.

rs4race here you go. I found these saved on my computer from when I did my frame swap. You can see how the Terra brackets mount up through the rear cross member. You also catch a glimse of my little Jeep Tech in training!!!! My life would be very dull without him!!

perfect pic of the tera mounts....

to be honest, I can't stand the xj's, they ride like tanks and have no flex in the rear, I can get evey bit the same flex from the front as the TJ if I remove the fenders, but the leafs will only fall so far with what unsprung weight it has pulling on the springs... here's a perfect example.

I have 14" travel shocks on all four corners of the toy, long chevy springs... and people brag about all the flex their yota's have...LOL

MY TJ has/had 2.5" rancho coils, 12" front shocks and 13" rear shocks in that pic, not to mention the shorter wheelbase... anyone who's thinking your RE 5.5" long arm will drive up on that rock without almost tipping over, or ANY out out of the box suspension kit you can buy.... you're very very wrong, it will not. BTW that rock is much taller than it looks..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #133
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mud put a 4 link in the rear of that Xj. So is it a 2 door or 4 door? Auto or 5 speed?
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #134
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How can I get a set of weld-ons for my D35? It'd be a nice setup till I go 8.8 and a bit more serious.

I want the these rancho shocks to work on my 2.5" lift http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RA...9340/?rtype=10
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #135
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Man those only have 8" of travel.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.