low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #61
pdempseyns
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I relocated my lower shock mounts today. I have OME N67's so i went with the second option, reusing the stock mount. I ran in to some problems with the dust shield jamming up against the frame and it dented the shield pretty good, made a nice clunk and bottomed out the suspension. I popped the shocks off, cut a notch marginally larger then the dented area out of the dust shield and viola, good to go. The jeep seems more planted on road, and definitely doesn't roll as much through the corners. It seems to make the vehicle feel as though is has a longer wheel base and slightly more planted. Of course this could all be in my head, but all in all I'm happy with it thus far. I will report later when i have logged some more seat time. Cheers.

pdempseyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #62
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
mudb8 thanks for the reply to that question. Ive actually talked to the guy who owns the jeep and I need to talk to him again soon. We talked about doing something similar to my rig and he will help with the welding. I like the idea of what you just posted. How does that effect access to the lower control arm bolt? I will be waiting for some more pics too.
I weld them just above the bolt so they can be removed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdempseyns View Post
I relocated my lower shock mounts today. I have OME N67's so i went with the second option, reusing the stock mount. I ran in to some problems with the dust shield jamming up against the frame and it dented the shield pretty good, made a nice clunk and bottomed out the suspension. I popped the shocks off, cut a notch marginally larger then the dented area out of the dust shield and viola, good to go. The jeep seems more planted on road, and definitely doesn't roll as much through the corners. It seems to make the vehicle feel as though is has a longer wheel base and slightly more planted. Of course this could all be in my head, but all in all I'm happy with it thus far. I will report later when i have logged some more seat time. Cheers.
it's not in your head!
I generally just cut the whole dust shield off of the OME shocks, I do have one guy that refused to have them cut off so I took the air nibbler to it and cut out a notch as well.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #63
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't had a problem yet with my OME's touching the frame. At ride height there is about 1/4". We'll see when I flex it out though. I need to do that in a few days before my off road trip to see if I need to cut that dust shield off.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #64
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
I haven't had a problem yet with my OME's touching the frame. At ride height there is about 1/4". We'll see when I flex it out though. I need to do that in a few days before my off road trip to see if I need to cut that dust shield off.

they hit on full compression if they are going to... I make sure to hold them to the inside a bit now instead of centering them in the CA bracket. it's less of a problem if they are held up high but the reason I move them in the first place is to relocate for more uptravel.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #65
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was just thinking, it wouldnt be that hard to make a bolt-on version. If you could make or use something like this, couldnt you weld on a modified version of your mount onto the the flat portion.

TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #66
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

yep, I have a mock up partially done, just haven't had the time to mess with them anymore, not to mention I actually did a full outboard last sunday with 12" travel shocks on the rig (DBBD1's) I was using to make them. I don't have anything that's still stock at the shop now.....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 10-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #67
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Since it got bumped, I figured I'd post up an update. I recently went to Superlift and ran 4s and 5s all weekend and didn't have any problem with the shocks! Mine didn't even touch the frame where I thought they would. One of the best mods I've done to help with uptravel and stability!
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #68
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mudb8,

I could drop it back off if you need it.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #69
spedly
2011 JK Wrangler 

What 2.5" springs are you running that they aren't coming unseated with 10" rear and 12" front shocks? I ask because my RE 3.5" springs would almost fall out with 10" rear and 11" front shocks.
spedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #70
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
What 2.5" springs are you running that they aren't coming unseated with 10" rear and 12" front shocks? I ask because my RE 3.5" springs would almost fall out with 10" rear and 11" front shocks.
Rancho and OME, fronts work with 12's when the rig is leveled with spacers to match the rear hieght, and the rears work with 12", 2.5" RC rears work with 12" as well. I don't know where the RC fronts come unseated since I never messed with the front, dbbd1's jeep still has the RC2.2 shocks up front with outboard 12" bilstien rears.
I installed 11.8" travel Rancho 9000XL on the front of cb3's LJ and will have outboard 12.8" travel Rancho 9000XL's on the rear later today or sunday with Rancho 2.5" coils

now, bear in mind here I set these up balanced with 6 up and 6" down, the least I'll go with is 5" up which would be due to the lift hieght. the rears will bind the drive shaft with 6" down with flat belly skids. stock skids hang low enough to not worry much about 6-7" down.

RE springs tend to be short and stiff, which I think is part of the reason they use 9" travel rear shocks with the 5.5" lift and the 3.5" drop coils. I had a jeep apart today for a rear track bar bracket repair, I pulled the 3.5" RE coils out with the shocks still installed.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 10-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #71
spedly
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to know. I want to drop my tj down to 2.5" coils, but I want physically longer coils.
spedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #72
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
yep, I have a mock up partially done, just haven't had the time to mess with them anymore, not to mention I actually did a full outboard last sunday with 12" travel shocks on the rig (DBBD1's) I was using to make them. I don't have anything that's still stock at the shop now.....
This has me extremely interested, a bolt on option. I'm watching the progress.
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #73
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro View Post
This has me extremely interested, a bolt on option. I'm watching the progress.

LOL, I guess I'll have to put that back on the "to do" list.... Its so much easier for me to just weld em on, I did two 10" travel lower mount mods just today, mostly to get the shocks off the spring buckets due to SYE/pinion adjustment, and have another scheduled for tomorrow. It's kinda funny tho since I hadn't even made a single pair for prolly a couple months, in fact the last pair I sent out were made by one of my boys..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 11-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #74
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
Since it got bumped, I figured I'd post up an update. I recently went to Superlift and ran 4s and 5s all weekend and didn't have any problem with the shocks! Mine didn't even touch the frame where I thought they would. One of the best mods I've done to help with uptravel and stability!

Sweet!...

I had dbbd1's mounts out quite a bit which dented the RC "long" shocks, tho they arent' messed up to the point of being unuseable, they are dented, despite the spring out suspension cycling I did on the rack before the final burn, they never hit. They were originally installed before the SYE and new shaft which changed the pinion angle. I think that contributed.

BTW Dave, I still haven't seen those pics of the new outboard 12" bilsteins?... I gotta get a new camera!

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 11-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #75
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
LOL, I guess I'll have to put that back on the "to do" list.... Its so much easier for me to just weld em on, I did two 10" travel lower mount mods just today, mostly to get the shocks off the spring buckets due to SYE/pinion adjustment, and have another scheduled for tomorrow. It's kinda funny tho since I hadn't even made a single pair for prolly a couple months, in fact the last pair I sent out were made by one of my boys..
Sure its easier but not everyone can weld or have welding shops nearby, and some of use live thousands of miles away from you. So bolt on is a better option.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.