low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #46
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great info. $10 in scrap steel for better travel. One of the best mods I have ever seen.

cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #47
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

DIY shock shifters

A few questions about this too. What part # is the Chevy shock stud/what were you saying about a grade 8 fine threaded bolt? Would the bolt be used in place of the Chevy part?

Have you had any problems with binding since the upper shock mount hasn't been moved? Just want to make sure these would be fine on a DD/weekend warrior. Thanks.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #48
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
A few questions about this too. What part # is the Chevy shock stud/what were you saying about a grade 8 fine threaded bolt? Would the bolt be used in place of the Chevy part?

Have you had any problems with binding since the upper shock mount hasn't been moved? Just want to make sure these would be fine on a DD/weekend warrior. Thanks.
no binding or messed up bushings, most all the ones I've done are daily drivers.

using the 5/8" bolt in place of the chevy part is just as easy as the chevy stud. sorry I can't find a pic of how it's all put togther but you can see I used a bolt with washers on each side of the shock bushing, put a nut on and snugged it up just a bit beyond hand tight to slightly compress the bushing, put it through the bracket and used an acorn lock nut to secure it to the axle bracket, you hold the bolt head till the acorn nut is snug, then put a wrench on the bushing side nut along with the acorn nut to lock and tighten the bolt stud.... dbbd1 could prolly get you a pic since this one is on his TJ.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #49
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Shock Relocation

mudb8, I fabbed up the relocation brackets that you suggested in this thread and this is where I am at. Planning on gaining close to 5" of up travel when I am done

jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #50
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
mudb8, I fabbed up the relocation brackets that you suggested in this thread and this is where I am at. Planning on gaining close to 5" of up travel when I am done

]

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #51
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nriver View Post
My extended pics

Not fully extended IIRC

Full Droop

I did not like this setup and moved on.
Im interested in setting up some shocks like this. I would like to get some more travel from the front, mostly down travel though. Im running the RC 2.5" lift, and actually wouldnt mind killing two birds with one stone. Get a smoother ride with some better shocks, and gain some articulation.

Any info on the cons of this setup? It seems like to me I could make a simple bracket and bolt it on with the lower control arm bolt or also weld it on.
Unread 06-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #52
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

i know you are supposed to mount the lower shock bolt at the same angle as the lower control arms, but i cant see why you couldnt mount that bolt parallel to the ground. what am i missing?
Unread 08-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #53
jeepbastard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for sharing this.
This looks like a solution from bottoming out . I am in the process of assembling a fox 2.0 shock setup wi 2 inch spring lift and 32 inch tires. This is not a ton of clearance and uptrqvel for a long shocks meant for 4 iNches of lift.

This way i an increase my range with the shocks instead of brakin everything!
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #54
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbastard View Post
Thanks for sharing this.
This looks like a solution from bottoming out . I am in the process of assembling a fox 2.0 shock setup wi 2 inch spring lift and 32 inch tires. This is not a ton of clearance and uptrqvel for a long shocks meant for 4 iNches of lift.

This way i an increase my range with the shocks instead of brakin everything!
it helps a bit, ultimately, a full outboard is the best way to go, especially when you're dumping a load a cash on good shocks.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #55
DavidAnderson
1993 ZJ 

tttt
DavidAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #56
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
Im interested in setting up some shocks like this. I would like to get some more travel from the front, mostly down travel though. Im running the RC 2.5" lift, and actually wouldnt mind killing two birds with one stone. Get a smoother ride with some better shocks, and gain some articulation.

Any info on the cons of this setup? It seems like to me I could make a simple bracket and bolt it on with the lower control arm bolt or also weld it on.
there are only cons if it's not clearanced to keep the shock body from hitting the bracket... one of the advantages is it keeps the shock bodies from hitting the frame during articulation with a 12" travel or longer shock, with about 7" down travel from ride height, you also end up with the drive shaft rubbing the auto transmissions...

heres one I did which keeps the bar pin and factory mounting, I simply cut it off and lowered it down 2".... well, there was a little more than that to the story..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
i know you are supposed to mount the lower shock bolt at the same angle as the lower control arms, but i cant see why you couldnt mount that bolt parallel to the ground. what am i missing?

it will bind the bushing in the range of movement the arms create. the shock needs to be at a 90* anlgle to the lower control arm... you can't actually get it there with the stock upper mount and just changing the lower mount. you do get some lost and useable uptravel tho.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Last edited by mudb8; 08-24-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #57
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post

Rubicon Express has a shock/sway bar stud kit part # RE2051, this is the ticket if it's too much trouble for the local auto parts slacker to figure out...

RE2051 - SWAY BAR/SHOCK MOUNT STUD KIT - Rubicon Express

no binding, just rock rash.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #58
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
heres one I did which keeps the bar pin and factory mounting, I simply cut it off and lowered it down 2".... well, there was a little more than that to the story..
whats the rest of the story? got more pics? i'm interested
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #59
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
whats the rest of the story? got more pics? i'm interested
I have pics... still on the camera, I've been so busy lately I just haven't had the time I used to. I'll get to it soon...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #60
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

mudb8 thanks for the reply to that question. Ive actually talked to the guy who owns the jeep and I need to talk to him again soon. We talked about doing something similar to my rig and he will help with the welding. I like the idea of what you just posted. How does that effect access to the lower control arm bolt? I will be waiting for some more pics too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.