low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #31
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerjp View Post
and where exactly would i be sending this envelope

I'm not enough of a geek to figure out how to put it in a pdf you could just print to actual size.... so ya, send a self addressed, stamped envelope to Dave@rob's or to..

"LT" (long travel) shock mounts or "HC".. high clearance, which ever ones you want...
PO box 869
Estacada, or

my kids trace the pattern on the self addressed envelope and stick it back in the mail..

I usually have a few sets ready to go, but that'll cost ya... I havent' had time to make another batch for several weeks, I still gotta get alexia's cut out....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #32
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I still gotta get alexia's cut out....
Don't forget I can send them out for her too. Also, if you get me a pattern, I can scan it and post it up on the boards here.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

just out of curiosity, how much does a set of the brackets cost?
1997 Sahara - 2.5"OME HD Springs and 2" BB - Bilstein 5100s - 35" BFG KM2s - Doug Thorley Header - Warn M8000 - Nates 4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers - JeepMedic Engine Skid - Shrockwork Rockers - OR-Fab Sport Cage - Ford 8.8 - 4.10s - TNT Customs 4.5" Tube Fenders in Front and Rear - Viking Soft Top - many other mods
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken
mountaineerjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #34
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Are they at any risk of being ripped off since they're lower, etc? It looks like a good mod. This is for rears only, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #35
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
Are they at any risk of being ripped off since they're lower, etc? It looks like a good mod. This is for rears only, correct?
yep, the rear, the front is slightly more involved...

I use 1/4" 3x2" tube for the mounts even tho 3/16" works great, you'll bend the axle before it rips off or bends, provided it's properly welded.

they are well protected behind the ca's and can be redrilled higher up the mount and the lower unused portion cut off, for custom fit and or high clearance.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #36
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you source you shock studs? Junkyard or did you buy the somewhere?
1997 Sahara - 2.5"OME HD Springs and 2" BB - Bilstein 5100s - 35" BFG KM2s - Doug Thorley Header - Warn M8000 - Nates 4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers - JeepMedic Engine Skid - Shrockwork Rockers - OR-Fab Sport Cage - Ford 8.8 - 4.10s - TNT Customs 4.5" Tube Fenders in Front and Rear - Viking Soft Top - many other mods
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken
mountaineerjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #37
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerjp View Post
Where did you source you shock studs? Junkyard or did you buy the somewhere?
2wd chevy upper front, or 4x4 upper rear mounts.....

I also use 3.25x 5/8" grade 8 or better bolts. the stock chevy mounts are just quick and easy.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #38
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work.

I added a link to this thread in the FAQ.

My rear, lower shock mounts are very similar. We figured out the same thing you did when setting up a couple 8.8s.
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #39
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

B8, I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but I read through the whole thread and didn't see that you change anything about the upper mounts, true? Also, how much extra travel did you gain with the high clearance mounts? How much for the long travel lower mounts if I wanted a pair? This is the next mod I do to my jeep after adjustable control arms including front shock mount extension using a F-150 or f-250 shock mount. Why can't the money tree grow faster?

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #40
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
B8, I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but I read through the whole thread and didn't see that you change anything about the upper mounts, true? Also, how much extra travel did you gain with the high clearance mounts? How much for the long travel lower mounts if I wanted a pair? This is the next mod I do to my jeep after adjustable control arms including front shock mount extension using a F-150 or f-250 shock mount. Why can't the money tree grow faster?

One thing I'll point out is, useable travel doesn't come from taking away uptravel with high clearance mounts.

I use these on the uppers with small bodied shocks, a 1" BL is required for them to fit since they fit up through the square hole of the stock upper shock location and use the stock shock bolts to secure them... They give the suspension another inch of uptravel and or the ablity to reduce bumpstop extension length by an inch.

The high clearance mounts I make match the stock location on the axle as far as travel is concerned. The shocks swing outboard from the stock location and land on the relocated mount. which can end up in the correct position for a full outboard later on.

I can e-mail you a pattern for the Long Travel mounts, DBBD1 took care of putting the pattern in a PDF form a while back, which you can make for about 10 bucks and a little grinding. They are also adjustable, you drill the mounting hole where you want it and cut off the rest if it's not used. PM me if you want them made, I pretty much only sell mounts I also install, I just don't have the time to make a bunch of them at one time to sell.

as for the front shocks, how much longer are you looking to go...
this is an easy option for a couple inches... basicly 12" travel shocks, good with about 3" or more of lift with 2" bumpstop extension or 10" travel shocks (15.5" collapsed) on stock bumpstops, provided you have the tire clearance to keep them out of the sheet metal and most importantly, the Track Bar clearance of the differential/cover/Tie Rod. The pic is nriver's

I made towers for mine, mostly due to having blown out & bent shocks, lots of crap laying around including a pair of shocks that were to long, and no money to spend.
Don't forget, My fenders are highlined, a stock TJ doesn't have the room to do this without hackin the inner fender.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 04-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #41
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

My extended pics

Not fully extended IIRC

Full Droop

I did not like this setup and moved on.
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #42
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

mudb8, I've been thinking of hacking the front shock upper mount off at some point - probably when I go Highline. I'd extend them up 3" or so, and run N66L style shocks with 1" bumpstop or less, whatever I need to clear the *special* track bar & 35s . trying to keep roughly 50/50 or 60/40 downtravel/uptravel ratio with short arms, figure this will work well for what i do....washboard roads, forest service roads, moderate rock crawling and the occassionally hardcore colorado/moab trails.

Does OME make shocks with the same valving, extended and collapsed lengths as the N66L, but in eye/eye configuration instead of eye/stud ? I could use bronco towers if they do...otherwise I'd have to make something for the studs....which brings me to the next question - what size is the hole needed for the studs & bushing? 1/2"?

thanks
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #43
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I use these on the uppers with small bodied shocks, a 1" BL is required for them to fit since they fit up through the square hole of the stock upper shock location and use the stock shock bolts to secure them... They give the suspension another inch of uptravel and or the ablity to reduce bumpstop extension length by an inch.

And where can we find those? Would those work for most everyone?

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #44
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
And where can we find those? Would those work for most everyone?
Yep Most everyone that has a Body Lift!...

I make em as I use em, or you can get them from Tera.

TJ Wrangler Rear Upper Shock Adapter and Relocator | TeraFlex Suspensions

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 04-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #45
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
mudb8, I've been thinking of hacking the front shock upper mount off at some point - probably when I go Highline. I'd extend them up 3" or so, and run N66L style shocks with 1" bumpstop or less, whatever I need to clear the *special* track bar & 35s . trying to keep roughly 50/50 or 60/40 downtravel/uptravel ratio with short arms, figure this will work well for what i do....washboard roads, forest service roads, moderate rock crawling and the occassionally hardcore colorado/moab trails.

Does OME make shocks with the same valving, extended and collapsed lengths as the N66L, but in eye/eye configuration instead of eye/stud ? I could use bronco towers if they do...otherwise I'd have to make something for the studs....which brings me to the next question - what size is the hole needed for the studs & bushing? 1/2"?

thanks
Nothing works better than a 50/50 travel ratio, no matter what you do. not many springs have much over 6" downtravel from ride height before they unseat.... in which case, What good is 3" uptravel and 7" downtravel when you can have 6" up and 6" down on the same spring with slight unseating? Less Down Travel = More Flex That way. of course theres the tire clearance problem, use smaller tires or Highline, Tube fenders get you nowhere when they reuse the stock inner fender.

The N66L only needs to be relocated 2" to run with stock Front bumpstops... any more than that and you'll be putting a MML to clear the differential.
I'd have to measure the hole, I just make em fit the bushings of the shock I'm installing.

I've never looked into the OME applications for different mounting/valving, For any thing over 10" travel I mostly just use Bilstein 5125's and Rancho 9000, mostly cause they are readily available to me, have easily replaceable Bushings and don't have the stinkin Huge Dust Sheild on em (ever tried to press out the sleaves and use a 5/8" bolt in an OME shock? What a PITA )

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.