low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #16
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread Mud!

CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

[quote= so..... what did we accomplish here with a 2.5" lift and 24.25" long extended, 14.25" collapsed shocks?

it's self explanatory if you can read a tape! they are measured at ride height... ya, no joke this is the advantage.. went from 2.75" uptravel to 4 5/8" without loosing any downtravel....QUOTE]

b8, just got done reading this thread, and don't mean to be a d***, but if you have a 10" travel shock, and you move the lower shock mount down say 2", this extends the shock 2", so you gain 2" in uptravel(if your shock was limiting factor), but you lost 2" of downtravel, right? Trying to grasp this as I have only a 2" spacer in rear but I have 4WD Hardware shocks that are for a 4" lift. I did this originally to make it easier to go to 4" lift later, but have decide it is high enough, so I need to make some of those relocator mounts. I extended the rear bumpstops by 2" as well, which was a big mistake, as I now have only about 3-3 1/2" of uptravel. This was before I ever heard of Jeepforum, btw. Thanks for any advice.

Also, I can flex my front far enough (more than in my avatar pic) that the spring will unseat by 1/2", but that's to be expected with them, huh?
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

they are mounted outboard so, so yes, you loose some downtravel but no where near 2", the axle articulates in a radius, not straight down.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #19
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
they are mounted outboard so, so yes, you loose some downtravel but no where near 2", the axle articulates in a radius, not straight down.
QFT 10 char
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #20
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

As always... nice work, and great documentation.
I'll probably get off my butt and ask you for the pattern when I order the RC 2.5/2.2 lift that's in my future. I'll ASK for the longer shocks to get the benefits you espouse here.

It should be interesting and functional even that low and inexpensive; I just stuffed the trans and tcase up well above the frame rail. I was shooting for a dead flat to the frame belly, but ended up about 1 1/16 below the frame at the bottom of the plate. Could been higher, but I wanted the trans support separate from the armor.

I got a question for ya Mudb8.. Pm if preferred, it's off subject. What are the consequences of a front stretch? I went out about an inch, and noticed my 33s neatly removed the floaties from my bumper, but what else happens? With the belly-up (probably close to 4.5 inches at the front of the tcase), am I getting too close to pulling the front stock shaft splines out? - still stock height - just flat fenders to clear the 33s and a 1" MML/BL.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take some more pictures of the lower mount? I am getting ready to outboard my rears with Ford F250 shock mounts and need to figure out how I am gonna mount the axle side of the shock. And where did you get the shock stud for that mount?
1997 Sahara - 2.5"OME HD Springs and 2" BB - Bilstein 5100s - 35" BFG KM2s - Doug Thorley Header - Warn M8000 - Nates 4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers - JeepMedic Engine Skid - Shrockwork Rockers - OR-Fab Sport Cage - Ford 8.8 - 4.10s - TNT Customs 4.5" Tube Fenders in Front and Rear - Viking Soft Top - many other mods
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken
mountaineerjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what are the benefits are outboarding the rear shocks ?
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #23
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CleanTJ View Post
what are the benefits are outboarding the rear shocks ?
To allow fitment of longer shocks. Otherwise you're limited by the top of the frame/bottom of the tub being the highest mounting point.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when trying to build a low COG rig, you end up with shocks limiting your downward travel, or you have shocks that are too long and bottom them out entirely too easy
1997 Sahara - 2.5"OME HD Springs and 2" BB - Bilstein 5100s - 35" BFG KM2s - Doug Thorley Header - Warn M8000 - Nates 4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers - JeepMedic Engine Skid - Shrockwork Rockers - OR-Fab Sport Cage - Ford 8.8 - 4.10s - TNT Customs 4.5" Tube Fenders in Front and Rear - Viking Soft Top - many other mods
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

gotcha , i may look into doing that then
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerjp View Post
[IMG]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/mudb8-/shock%20relocation%20brackets/PICT00181.jpg[/IMG

Can you take some more pictures of the lower mount? I am getting ready to outboard my rears with Ford F250 shock mounts and need to figure out how I am gonna mount the axle side of the shock. And where did you get the shock stud for that mount?
yep, I have a pattern also for the lower mount I made, the shock stud is a 3/4 and 1 ton chev shock stud, 5/8" mounting, you can also get 1/2" mounting studs that are for use of 5/8 shock bushings from the front of 1/2t 2wd chevs.

I only use the short axle mounts for high clearance full outboard mounting or with short shocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
To allow fitment of longer shocks. Otherwise you're limited by the top of the frame/bottom of the tub being the highest mounting point.
not to mention stability

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #27
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

is that pattern by chance in a format that you can email or pm? no biggy if its not, just thought i would at least check. and where did you get those shock studs? junkyard? or did you order them from somewhere?

and thank you for the extra pictures
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Unread 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Send him an envelope and he will send you a template.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #29
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

and where exactly would i be sending this envelope
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Unread 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #30
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could send it Rob's offroad or PM him for an address.

Robs Off Road

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.