low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #211
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBluE View Post
This is why I reccomend going fully out board. As far as I'm concerned, moving only the lower mount is a band aid, the shock works awkwardly, and at a pretty bad angle IMO.
Based on my experience, the angle is minimal and the shocks work great in this position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Yeah, I'm not particularly interested in just moving the lowers out and leaving the uppers where they are. More curious if anyone noticed that one side seems to restrict movement more than the other side. I would think the factory upper mounts should be symmetric and behave the same, but on my jeep it appears that they aren't??
Never noticed what you are describing.

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #212
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
It is likely that mrblaine would use a length that is very close to being balanced on the 4". That said, they could be a length recommended for shorter lift by the manufacturer...
When we start messing with high clearance skids, downtravel will often be compromised by a binding cv joint. For example a rokmen with a factory tranny mount, 1" mml and 3" lift springs can bind with 8.5" travel rear shocks. Close to 4" max downtravel from ride height.
Savvy, fox, and bds all carry the same p/n, which is advertised from 4-6" lift. But bds says it will work for the 3"+. I believe savvy's valving is different, although I'm not positive. I might try it and see. I've also seen where people are running the fox shocks with the savvy 3" lift, but I don't really have the time to weed through 75+ pages to see everyone's setup. Most seem to run the ranchos anyways. I was going to have savvy do Wayne's valving from what I've seen recommended. If I can find out if fox's bar pin can be removed, I'll flip the shocks can down and run the Tera top mount and gain that extra inch I need. I guess I still have some more searching to do.

Edit: seems I was wrong about the p/n, they all carry a different number. I'm not getting them from anyone but savvy, so if anyone knows the ext and collapsed length for the ones that use stock mounting points

Bds are :

Unread 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #213
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post

Savvy, fox, and bds all carry the same p/n, which is advertised from 4-6" lift. But bds says it will work for the 3"+. I believe savvy's valving is different, although I'm not positive. I might try it and see. I've also seen where people are running the fox shocks with the savvy 3" lift, but I don't really have the time to weed through 75+ pages to see everyone's setup. Most seem to run the ranchos anyways. I was going to have savvy do Wayne's valving from what I've seen recommended. If I can find out if fox's bar pin can be removed, I'll flip the shocks can down and run the Tera top mount and gain that extra inch I need. I guess I still have some more searching to do.

Edit: seems I was wrong about the p/n, they all carry a different number. I'm not getting them from anyone but savvy, so if anyone knows the ext and collapsed length for the ones that use stock mounting points

Bds are :

I'll do some digging for you. A friend has the shocks you're asking about.

BDS has issues with too long of shocks with the fox's they offer.
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #214
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You know, I still plan to outboard, but have people tried moving the upper and lower mounts around? Check out my setup: Super 88, 4" back spacing, 12" shocks. I don't have any interference or binding at bump or droop. I can't have a unique enough setup to be the only one that doesn't NEED to outboard. Yes the upper is only single shear, but that was only supposed to be temporary. Hmmm.
image-3194664047.jpg

image-2904766444.jpg

image-1104208223.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #215
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
You know, I still plan to outboard, but have people tried moving the upper and lower mounts around? Check out my setup: Super 88, 4" back spacing, 12" shocks. I don't have any interference or binding at bump or droop. I can't have a unique enough setup to be the only one that doesn't NEED to outboard. Yes the upper is only single shear, but that was only supposed to be temporary. Hmmm.
How have your shocks not gotten ripped off your axle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #216
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494
How have your shocks not gotten ripped off your axle?
Ripped off from what?
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #217
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From the terrain, those look like thin metal, unpainted, and not reinforced in any way ......
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #218
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My rear upper mounts are only 1/4" tabs. They were only supposed to be temporary, but it's been at least a year since I moved the shocks outside of the frame. I am waiting on my final placement of my rear axle, rear upper spring buckets, rear link length, and rear link mounts. When I get all that figured out, I will outboard... Maybe.
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #219
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
So here's a question to you concerning moving the lower shock mounts outward. Last time I had the lower bolts pulled out of my rear shocks, I was positioning the bottom around in different places to see what worked. It felt as though the shocks upper bushings resisted having the lower ends moved outward. One side, can't remember which, seemed to really be stretching the upper bushing to get the lower end back behind the control arm mount. This was with the upper connections in the OEM mounts. Curious if you or anyone has noticed if one side seems to be easier to deflect the lower mount outward? Kind of wondering if my jeep is special and maybe something is up with my upper mounts.
Used shocks with polly bushings will do that. New bushings will hang the shocks outboard of the mounts...

Stock with molded rubber....
Left

Right

You can see they are straight..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #220
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven
What size tires and rims?

I have 315-75-16 on rubi rims and 1.25 spacers and have wondered about running them to the outside with out cutting frame...
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #221
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4
What size tires and rims? I have 315-75-16 on rubi rims and 1.25 spacers and have wondered about running them to the outside with out cutting frame...
I have 15x10" rims, 37x12.50x15 old style MT/Rs.
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #222
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man, looking at mine I am still around 4 inches back spacing and essentially have the same tire width as you.

It would be tight but the body of a shock might fit. I run a 10 inch shock now with the teraflex uppers no prob but I could really use a 11-12 shock with my lift.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #223
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post

What size tires and rims?

I have 315-75-16 on rubi rims and 1.25 spacers and have wondered about running them to the outside with out cutting frame...
I used to run 34x12.5 16's on rubi moabs without spacers. The tires rubed both sides under articulation with the shocks in the frame.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #224
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8

Used shocks with polly bushings will do that. New bushings will hang the shocks outboard of the mounts...

Stock with molded rubber....
Left

Right

You can see they are straight..
Hmm, yep I see that those are symmetric. Thanks. Mine are the white Rancho 9000x, almost 10 years old. So you think the upper bushings took a set, and that's why they deflect differently between the sides?
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #225
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Misfit has his shock bodies low on the sidewall, the brackets only have to be strong enough to overcome the forces of the valving. They arent likely gonna tear off unless a bumpstop fails to do its job.
Look at the diameter of re sway bar links, youd want to think they'd bend or buckle

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.