low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #196
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,629
The mounts hide behind the lower ca's much like jk's. And and can be used as high clearance or to adjust the uptravel to the point of coil bind instead of making a sacrifice.

I dont know the collapsed length of the fox shocks. I have installed 14" collapsed ome rears on stock 104 springs with a 3/4" spacer on them using lower mounts i build off the same pattern. Stock arms bind up droop roughly about 23" of shock extension length measuring from factory upper shock mounts

I personally wont run on less than 5" uptravel which can be had from a 1" spacer on a stock spring. The rear of my tj has 7.5 " uptravel and 6" downtravel with my truss which is a three link that resides in the tub tunnel next to the driveshaft @ full stuff. My truss and trackbar mount require 1.5" bumpstop extension to keep from punching a hole in the tub. Springs are 2.5" advertised rancho rock crawlers
with a 1.25" spacer on it to fill the gap at full droop. They are tight enough to require a big bar to pry them out while the axle is hanging from the shocks.

__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #197
Melissas6570
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 378
Hey Mud,

Thanks for sharing all the info with us. I have a OME 2.5 inch HD lift, with a 1.25 inch BL. I am running the OME normal travel shocks that came with the lift. I would like to outboard the shocks, but while I am working on figuring out what I need and all, I was wondering what if anything would just moving the lower shock mounts out like on the Jeep pictured above would do for me? Is it even possiable to do this on my setup, or should I just wait until I do the true outboard?

Thanks,

Mel
__________________
I DO IT WITH MY TOP OFF!
Melissas6570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #198
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissas6570 View Post
Hey Mud,

Thanks for sharing all the info with us. I have a OME 2.5 inch HD lift, with a 1.25 inch BL. I am running the OME normal travel shocks that came with the lift. I would like to outboard the shocks, but while I am working on figuring out what I need and all, I was wondering what if anything would just moving the lower shock mounts out like on the Jeep pictured above would do for me? Is it even possiable to do this on my setup, or should I just wait until I do the true outboard?

Thanks,

Mel
Just moving them over cleans up the axle and gets rid of a major "hang up" spot. I believe the tjs always feel mpre stable as well on the hwy with the lower mount relocated.
The standard length ome n66 is very near centered at ride height with the ome hd spring. I would simply swing it over and reattach it at the ca mount.
We all must remember not to center it up in the ca mount. The shock body will rub the frame in full suspension compression situations, not mention the upper bushing could need replacement more often.

Just did this one using the factory mount i cut off, welded to a 1/4" plate. Much like the mount you can buy from clayton off road but the clayton locates the shock a bit to far out imo. They need to be right on the inner ca bracket.



Im not sure how it wouldnt be worth the effort for this alone...

__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #199
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 2,979
For those who are intersted... kNOw where 2 jeep has recently acquired the rights to all the TJ Nth mobility stuff from AEV. http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalo.../?manufacturer[]=472 They have the Nth shock shifters listed on their website for $129. Along with other Nth degree suspension stuff. Its still a weld on system and it doesn't provide extra travel if you use the top bracket. But if you want to outboard the lowers for handling reasons, its an option that just came back again. I am using this on my Jeep.


__________________
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #200
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
For those who are intersted... kNOw where 2 jeep has recently acquired the rights to all the TJ Nth mobility stuff from AEV. http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalo.../?manufacturer[]=472 They have the Nth shock shifters listed on their website for $129. Along with other Nth degree suspension stuff. Its still a weld on system and it doesn't provide extra travel if you use the top bracket. But if you want to outboard the lowers for handling reasons, its an option that just came back again. I am using this on my Jeep.
When using only the nth lowers, they cAnt be installed as instructed due to shock body clearances at the frame.
Nths design is to change the anlge to match the control arm angle... 90 deg. Used as intended as a kit @ 4.5 to 6" lift, they do allow users to adjust the shock travel during initial set up.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #201
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,866
So...are you selling these?
__________________
I want your used D30/D35 chromo shafts!

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #202
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
So...are you selling these?
Last pics posted by Mudb8 appears that he used the factory mounts.

If your's are usable, that is what I'd do.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #203
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Last pics posted by Mudb8 appear that he used the factory mounts.
They are factory mounts welded to plate steel to span the ca mounts, i dont sell them, just something i do. It takes me about a half hour to get the mounts ready to reinstall once they are cut off the axle tube with a sawzall. I maxe up a pattern that takes the guess work out of the angle.
Just about all the tjs sold by the company i work with have some of my dumb ideas welded on bolted up or fliped over.. Rear shock mounts/damaged shock tubes and uptravel are a major peeve of mine.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #204
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
They are factory mounts welded to plate steel to span the ca mounts, i dont sell them, just something i do. It takes me about a half hour to get the mounts ready to reinstall once they are cut off the axle tube with a sawzall. I maxe up a pattern that takes the guess work out of the angle.
I did this with mine several years ago, but I didn't weld the factory mounts to a piece of plate. Just cut them off, cleaned them up, and welded them on the backside of the lower CA bracket.

I like your idea better though. The plate would make it look cleaner and it adds some nice strength to the bracket.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #205
aparke4
Web Wheeler
 
aparke4's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,866
I have an extra set of jks lower control arm mount plates that needed some love to fit on the rear. Flat plate for the record would have been much easier! But the plate does allow a full box in of the lower arm mount plus a nice clean 1/4 piece of metal to burn in to.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #206
The_Dealer
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Macon, Georgia
Posts: 1,430
The fox shocks I'm looking at are the ones that use factory mounts, but are for a 4" lift. I'll be running 3" lift, so if I can figure out how to get an inch longer between mounting points I'll be good. I can't use the teraflex, as the fox has the barpin already installed, and it doesn't look like it just presses out
__________________
My build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/the_dealers-soft-core-build-1476982/
The_Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #207
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
The fox shocks I'm looking at are the ones that use factory mounts, but are for a 4" lift. I'll be running 3" lift, so if I can figure out how to get an inch longer between mounting points I'll be good. I can't use the teraflex, as the fox has the barpin already installed, and it doesn't look like it just presses out
It is likely that mrblaine would use a length that is very close to being balanced on the 4". That said, they could be a length recommended for shorter lift by the manufacturer...
When we start messing with high clearance skids, downtravel will often be compromised by a binding cv joint. For example a rokmen with a factory tranny mount, 1" mml and 3" lift springs can bind with 8.5" travel rear shocks. Close to 4" max downtravel from ride height.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #208
J03_TJ
Self Smarted
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,290
So here's a question to you concerning moving the lower shock mounts outward. Last time I had the lower bolts pulled out of my rear shocks, I was positioning the bottom around in different places to see what worked. It felt as though the shocks upper bushings resisted having the lower ends moved outward. One side, can't remember which, seemed to really be stretching the upper bushing to get the lower end back behind the control arm mount. This was with the upper connections in the OEM mounts. Curious if you or anyone has noticed if one side seems to be easier to deflect the lower mount outward? Kind of wondering if my jeep is special and maybe something is up with my upper mounts.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #209
LittleBluE
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
So here's a question to you concerning moving the lower shock mounts outward. Last time I had the lower bolts pulled out of my rear shocks, I was positioning the bottom around in different places to see what worked. It felt as though the shocks upper bushings resisted having the lower ends moved outward. One side, can't remember which, seemed to really be stretching the upper bushing to get the lower end back behind the control arm mount. This was with the upper connections in the OEM mounts. Curious if you or anyone has noticed if one side seems to be easier to deflect the lower mount outward? Kind of wondering if my jeep is special and maybe something is up with my upper mounts.
This is why I reccomend going fully out board. As far as I'm concerned, moving only the lower mount is a band aid, the shock works awkwardly, and at a pretty bad angle IMO.
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #210
J03_TJ
Self Smarted
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBluE

This is why I reccomend going fully out board. As far as I'm concerned, moving only the lower mount is a band aid, the shock works awkwardly, and at a pretty bad angle IMO.
Yeah, I'm not particularly interested in just moving the lowers out and leaving the uppers where they are. More curious if anyone noticed that one side seems to restrict movement more than the other side. I would think the factory upper mounts should be symmetric and behave the same, but on my jeep it appears that they aren't??
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.