low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #181
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C54 View Post
Bringing a good thread back here. I have my brackets ready to be burned on. I just have one question be for doing so. I do not have a sye yet. If I put my brackets on now. Will the shock bind up once I roll my pinion for the sye?
If you use a stud mount it will slightly bind the lower bushing.
Your upper ca will be about a 1/4" longer for the sye unless you are over 3.5 to 4" lift without a high clearance skid.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #182
C54
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok think I will hold off for a bit then. I planned on using a stud mount. I only have 3" lift with 10" travel shocks. But I know I am going to sye in the future. Think I will just do like you posted in another thread and off set the shock to the out side of the stock shock mount for now.
C54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #183
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Question...

I currently have 3" rear BDS springs that net me 4". I'm considering lowering it a bit to the RC 2.5" spring. Problem is I have 8.5" travel shocks...could I run Mud's mounts and not lose anything I have now or possibly move to a 10" travel shock?

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #184
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Question...

I currently have 3" rear BDS springs that net me 4". I'm considering lowering it a bit to the RC 2.5" spring. Problem is I have 8.5" travel shocks...could I run Mud's mounts and not lose anything I have now or possibly move to a 10" travel shock?
8.5" will work beter on 2.5" lift than a 4" without relocation. 10" is great on 2.5" lifts only if they are relocated.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 08-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #185
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm still wishing you were making a bolt on version, any chance you would?
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #186
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
8.5" will work beter on 2.5" lift than a 4" without relocation. 10" is great on 2.5" lifts only if they are relocated.
I currently have 4.5" of uptravel, if I went down to a 2.5" I would only have 3"...unless I'm missing something here?

-Jack
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #187
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro View Post
I'm still wishing you were making a bolt on version, any chance you would?
I have messed with a few ideas, nothing yet tho that is simple.
I had a tj come into inventory a while back with fab tech relocators that gave me a new idea. Just havent had time to explore it.

I did something i felt was a little cheesy on skyjacker's flagship LJ tho that got the right side off the exhaust and the left off the fuel tank... It did nothing for travel but works.

I cut 1/4" thick tubing for spacers which fill the space intended for the shock, added longer bolts and mounted the shocks outboard of the mounts. It has the skyjacker shock shifters intended to get the shocks off the spring buckets caused by pinion angle.

Skyjackers front trackbar relocation bracket was busted as well and had been repaired a couple times prior... I fixed it by installing a JKS take off i had laying around.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #188
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am really interested if you come up with something!

I actually thought about doing what you posted. I was not sure if the stock mount could take the leverage so I bent my exhaust hangar so the shock would clear.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #189
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mud, do you still have these on CAD? I pair will come in handy for me when I get my 2.5" springs.

-Jack
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #190
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

To anyone reading, if you have to ask about the gains and needs or advantages of outboarding your rear shocks, or running lower shifters, this isn't for you.

Travel benefits are everything especially for a real LCG build. I'm running 2" springs on 10" of travel fox tuned by Wayne, and my travel limit is my rear truss. Just measure, measure, measure more, and make the cut. The only real way to effectively gain travel is to notch the frame. There isn't another way around it.

Personally I pre run in my jeep and it was totally worth it for me to do the welding. I have 4.5" up and am going to a 5" spring and 12" shocks in the rear and removing my borough lift and will expect 5.5"-6" uptravel in the rear. That's a lot for most people but for me it is necessary with what I do on my jeep. My suspension limits are needing fox's up front and air bumps. Other than that, with my triangulated rear I can push it to the limit of the vehicle but it takes a lot. When I take it to the next level, I'll report back...I expect to be able to hit whoops faster than I already do and have virtually no bucking with the air bumps.

LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #191
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Would perhaps your lower shifters with stock uppers allow me to run fox 4" lift shocks from savvy on my 3" rear lift? Are you selling these shock shifters?
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #192
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
Would perhaps your lower shifters with stock uppers allow me to run fox 4" lift shocks from savvy on my 3" rear lift? Are you selling these shock shifters?

If you're shifting lowers, shift the uppers. The stock lowers are as low as they should ever hang. Ever wonder why you always mount higher for long travel shocks?

1. You physically can't go low enough to safely achieve the travel necessary without jeapordizing your shock and mount.
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #193
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I thought it was adding shock lengths by relocating the shocks further over.

pretty soon I'll be running 3" bds rears, and a 3/4" spacer on my bds front, and id really like to run some of the fox shocks that savvy offers. They are recommended for 4" lift in the rear, and that would help with up travel. Eventually I want to outboard the rear, but as of right now, its not really in the plans. I need some better shocks, and I want a better ride. I can't see spending 90 each for some ome's when I can get the fox for a little more
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #194
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
I thought it was adding shock lengths by relocating the shocks further over.

pretty soon I'll be running 3" bds rears, and a 3/4" spacer on my bds front, and id really like to run some of the fox shocks that savvy offers. They are recommended for 4" lift in the rear, and that would help with up travel. Eventually I want to outboard the rear, but as of right now, its not really in the plans. I need some better shocks, and I want a better ride. I can't see spending 90 each for some ome's when I can get the fox for a little more
To run fox's effectively you need to outboard. That's that, its a waste and they're flat out too big of a shock to fit properly in the stock location. Mine sat for 9 months before I outboarded purely because I couldn't fit them.

You're moving them over to achieve something. That something is to allow moving the upper mount up, and the lower slightly down. By moving the upper mount higher you can set your travel mix however you want, based on application. Using fox's without the rear upper relocated leaves little to no downtravel. That's the whole point of this thread.

Save up, pony up, and do everything at once.

I also recommend getting them tuned by Wayne at alltech motorsports out here in menifee CA. His tune makes savvy's out of the box non resi's and resi's look like junk (the tune not the shock itself). Buy yourself some resi fox's through savvy and get them tuned. With a truss the max travel up will net 4-4.5" at 2" lift 10" travel, and 4" lift will accomodate 12" travel with about the same. Without a truss you will get between 4.5-6" up depending on mounting location.

Measure, find your limit point and measure again, then use deductive reasoning to find the correct length shock and mounting location.
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #195
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Half of what's in here are just the lowers moved. Using Muds mounts, he got close to 5" of uptravel out of a 2.5" spring with a 10" shock. Pretty nicely balanced for what it is.

These are great for those of us that don't want to cut the frame yet.

If you can only run the Foxs "effectively" by fully outboard, then Savvy would never sell them for their lifts...

-Jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.