low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage? - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > low lift, long shocks, and DIY shock shifters... what's the advantage?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #151
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing specific yet. I was convinced I was going with AEV's shock shifter kit yesterday. But then I came across this mod. I have to say it looks absolutely brilliant. I've officially changed my mind. I'm installing my Under Armor next month so I know ill have to deal with axle rotation and spring problems. I just bumped it to subscribe. That's all. I'm sure I will have some questions soon though.

T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #152
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No bolt ons, huh, Mudb8? If not, can I still send a SASE for the template? BTW, thanks for sharing, looks like something I want to build into my current plans.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #153
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun
No bolt ons, huh, Mudb8? If not, can I still send a SASE for the template? BTW, thanks for sharing, looks like something I want to build into my current plans.
I am interested in a bolt on set too. I don't have the tools to make them myself but would really like to have a set.
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #154
97wrangler-242
1997 TJ Wrangler 

As for bolt on, Metalcloak just recently introduced their long travel shocks. Pretty cool design but 400$ a piece. Worth looking in to though for sure
97wrangler-242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #155
97wrangler-242
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Wran...Kit-p/7151.htm

There's the link for the suspension lift that includes those new shocks
97wrangler-242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #156
Mallanaga
TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you're trying to move the bottom shock mount over, Clayton has a pretty sweet design ready to go for you... website linkage

I like how it mounts directly to the back of the CA bracket. Not trying to take away from mudb8's thread, just posting this for all the not so do-it-yourselfers. It still needs some welding... but that's not too scary.
Mallanaga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #157
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the mounts on CAD now and have them burnt and bent for me as needed! haven't had time to make em bolt on yet but Its always on my mind.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #158
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
Nothing specific yet. I was convinced I was going with AEV's shock shifter kit yesterday. But then I came across this mod. I have to say it looks absolutely brilliant. I've officially changed my mind. I'm installing my Under Armor next month so I know ill have to deal with axle rotation and spring problems. I just bumped it to subscribe. That's all. I'm sure I will have some questions soon though.
I'm curious as to why you liked MudB8s design better than AEV. With AEV clearancing out all of their TJ stuff I picked up a set of their shock shifters in haste. I really wasn't looking for shock shifters, but I needed a way to fit a 1" longer shock on my Jeep. I haven't read this thread thouroughly yet, so I might find the answer upon closer review. But was their anything in particular that made you decide to go with MudB8 instead of AEV. Maybe I will need to return my AEV shifters. I'd hate to install the wrong ones.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #159
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just took the time to thoroughly read through this thread again. Some good stuff here. Like others I would have loved to see a bolt on option. I hate the idea of cutting off my factory stuff and I can't weld. So this mod will start to cost me more after I hire a welder. (not to mention I did a rush purchase of an AEV when I saw they were out of production and didn't know if Mudb8 was selling prebuilt units)

I did have a lot of questions and thoughts during my reading. Like others, I have been concerned about the top mount. So I layed under my Jeep for awhile looking at it. It seems to me that it wouldn't take much angle to help with any bind the top bushing would experience. My initial redneck thought was to just throw a couple of washers under the bar pin. Obviously that wouldn't be a final solution. But couldn't you fab up a simple bar pin eliminator type of system that set the bar pin at an angle? You could do something like that recessed Teraflex barpin eliminator but with one side tuck above the hole and the other side down near the stock mounting point. Or even a more simple design with both ends of the BPE below the original mounting point but at an angle. I realize that this would defeat some of the extra shock length but it might help with any bind. I'm surprise that Lupinsea didn't come up with something a little simpler. Let alone AEV. That whole upper bracket seems like it is more complex than it needed to be, just to put a little angle on the bar pin mount. But following Lupinseas thoughts on the mount I feel some comfort that the AEV mounts might be ok to have.

So this brings me to my question for Mudb8. Since I already ordered the AEV setup, how different is the lower mount than what you are doing? If I was to decide that I needed more extension could I use the AEV lower mount and ditch the top mount? Would that be more or less equivalent to what you are doing? I realize you probably could have made one for me a lot cheaper, but I have a certain amount of trust in AEV engineering so I jumped to get one when I realized they would all be gone soon. There were none at AEV, none at Northridge and only 2 left at Quadratech when I ordered mine. I guess I am just wondering if you are mounting your lower mounts at a different angle than AEV does due to the top mount. Or will I have more or less the same lower mount setup. So I wouldn't need the top mount if you dont.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #160
wizzo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How could i get a pair?
wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #161
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am just catching up on this mod and after reading the 11 pages did not see any mention of rear droop steer from the additional travel on short arm suspensions after using long travel shocks. Is this an issue and are there newer ways of accomplishing this that make better sense; e.g., Nth Degree Mobility Shock Shifter kit or a Poly Performance relocation kit?
aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #162
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
I am just catching up on this mod and after reading the 11 pages did not see any mention of rear droop steer from the additional travel on short arm suspensions after using long travel shocks. Is this an issue and are there newer ways of accomplishing this that make better sense; e.g., Nth Degree Mobility Shock Shifter kit or a Poly Performance relocation kit?
Nth relocators do not offer any additional travel benifits. The SS relocates the shock angle. The longer axle mounts give back the 2" the upper relocation brackets loose. Nth 6" lifts still run 9.75 " travel shocks. Simply relocating and lengthening the lowers alone gives you the ability to run 11" balanced travel on 2.5" lifts. Like a skykacker h7063.

Rear steer gets pretty evident when the downtravel is so much the springs will fall out with short arms. When the travel is balanced it is not really noticeable and does not effect driveability.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #163
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would think that I need to find a shock that simply does not limit travel in either direction, regardless of where I stand on an up/down travel ratio as long as I correctly use bump stops and limit straps.
aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #164
theremikegoes
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mudb8, are you selling those mounts? I'd like to buy a set if you are... I'm doing an 8.8 and hp30 swap on my tj and these look like they should give another 2-3" or so clearance over the stock location and save a little fab time for me, haha.

Also, thanks for the great thread, this one and the H&R 1" spring thread are going to help empty my pockets for a bit!

Looking at doing the H&R 1" springs and dropping the lower shock mounts 2-3" front and rear to shoehorn some longer shocks in, shooting for 1" more up and down travel over stock shocks.
theremikegoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #165
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Reviving an old thread here. What are you guys doing for the top bracket? Last summer I purchased the AEV shock shifter kit. When using their setup I actually lost an inch of uptravel. I like the setup but I'd like to gain some travel back. So I was thinking about going back to the stock location somehow. But using the stock location looks like its just going to bind too much. So I thought about using a bar pin eliminator or something that turned the shock 90*. Then it wouldn't bind at ride height, but I have concerns it might bind when the axle travels through its motions. So what are you guys using up on top?
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.