Low cost, no cut, no drill LED install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Low cost, no cut, no drill LED install

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom By You View Post
I wonder if there is some type of 5" PVC or metal end cap, you could use, instead of having to make/weld the light housing....
I wasn't able to find anything, I even looked at the pvc manufacturers. But if you could find it I think it would work the same. I'll take some daylight and side view pics tomorrow.

Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
SaharaJeep

do you think that there is any room inside the exhaust pipe to add side markers?
SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJeep View Post
do you think that there is any room inside the exhaust pipe to add side markers?
Probably not, it was a tight fit.

I took the roof rack down after I changed the oil tonight, so I could get some better pics. It's in a lit garage, so they didn't come out in the greatest light, even with the flash. But I uploaded 23 more pictures.
You can see all the pics here LED install pictures

I was able to get the brake lights through my work, but I had to order the smaller LED reverse lights, not many places carry that size in a clear lens. I used this site to buy the reverse lights and grommets.
http://autolumination.com/truck.htm

The brake/signal lights came in a few different types. I chose the snowflake ones, they have the most LEDs per light and are the brightest, as far as I know. I've seen them run for around 25 per light, if you go with the cheaper ones, you can get them for less then 15 per light.

Here's a pic of the reverse lights Hazmat, but you were there when I did it. I just blew a hole using a hole saw and popped them in. I plan on doing something better when I upgrade the stock bumper.
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
97tjtom
1999 TJ Wrangler 

those look awesome, start selling them
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
TJW909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice idea for your license plate holder. That's cool
TJW909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #21
Ghost00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

good set up,
great for someone who is still under warranty, no modification to hide if you had a problem.
Ghost00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #22
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like the ASE "plug."
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
I like the ASE "plug."
Not a plug, I think they are worthless. But it's a job requirement...

By the way, I am going to be making a few of these, to see how they sell. But I am currently injured and it will take me a while to get them done.
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #24
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd modify it to include a provision for a side marker lamp and/or a side marker reflector. Some state inspectors may fail it if they got a 'bug up you-know-where.'
Slithering_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

pretty cool, not perfect but alot cheaper then the litdots (same basic thing)

only thing I'd suggest instead of silicon around the edges, pull the led lights wires through and seal around there hole, then use some rubber washers between the body and light back when you put the 3 mounting bolts back in. It will seal around the holes and the light wont be able to rub the body either. Silicone sucks if you ever have to remove one, leaves a mess on the paint
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #26
Dhorn33
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
pretty cool, not perfect but alot cheaper then the litdots (same basic thing)
This seems like a cool solution - but definitely not the same thing as Litedots. Litedots incorporate side marker, backup and tail lights all in one very tough and low profile housing. I admit I am a little biased since I know Steve and have a pair on my rig - but regardless of that they are pretty cool and I get a lot of questions and compliments on them from non-Jeepers.

Anyway - cool idea and I applaud your ingenuity!
Dhorn33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #27
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't think I've seen the litdots ones you guys are talking about. Anyone have a link or some pictures?
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #28
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't mind something like that on mine. Let us know if you decide to sell them. I like the LiteDOTs but don't have the coin for them. I want to do flush mounts (may end up that direction anyways).
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #29
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just googled those lights. I have seen them before... I was looking for separate reverse lights. I know not having the side marker isn't legal, just not sure how I can integrate them. I may have a solution though...
Unread 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
Michael_K

Great job! Don't get me wrong here; it is low cost, no drill, BUT CUTTING and WELDING required?

How is it holding up?

Michael K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.