louder exhaust - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > louder exhaust

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 07-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
knightwolf654
1999 TJ Wrangler 

cherrybomb pro or straight pipe. i had my muffler disconnected for a few days. and you cant hear your self speak when your accelerating

YouTube - Jeep Wrangler W/ Cherrybomb pro exhaust

knightwolf654 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
Jeeeps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's mine, cheap no name 2.5" cat back system with a high flow muffler and turned down tip:

cheers
Jeeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
guruleenyc
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my stock exhaust header/manifold after finding cracks all over with another stock manifold. However, I installed a Magnaflow High Flow catalytic with a Flowmaster Super 44 muffler and it sounds awesome! Very throaty, deep tones, a little crackling on de-acceleration and slightly louder than tires and noise on highway; doesn't over power stereo.

VERY HAPPY with sound, a [slight] performance improvement and appearance.
guruleenyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #19
csmith
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cut off the tail pipe and put a turn down directly behind your muffler, you'll like it and it's a cheap upgrade to what you allready have.
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #20
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a flowmaster super 44 offroad series on mine. It sounds really good. nice and deep. Had a guy ask me the other day what v8 swap I did.
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #21
guruleenyc
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
Cut off the tail pipe and put a turn down directly behind your muffler, you'll like it and it's a cheap upgrade to what you allready have.
Excuse my slight ignorance, can you be a little clearer what you mean by a "turn down"? Do you mean to cut it off after the catalytic and reattach to come out under or before axle?

Thanks!
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
jabroni3411
2006 TJ Wrangler 

a turn down is basically a short downward facing pipe attached to the outflow pipe of the muffler. basically you dont have a tailpipe sticking out of the back of the jeep, the exhause ends after the muffler

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sub-1k-build-1154310[/url]
jabroni3411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
jabroni3411
2006 TJ Wrangler 

the only real way to get a great sounding exhause, not just a loud muffler sound is by doing the whole set up...headers high flow cat and 2/3 chamber muffler or like a magnaflow straight through type muffler

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sub-1k-build-1154310[/url]
jabroni3411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #24
adz4play
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a vortex that was so loud it was iritating. Borla or monster all the way.....
adz4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Why louder? Louder doesn't mean more power.
Exactly. If I could get quiet and not lose power I always would do that.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #26
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Why? Spend the money on something of value. People will notice a nicely built Jeep. And you wont get laughed at.
Great minds.
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
Generally speaking the worst thing you can do for performance is to change the length of the pipe in this manner.

The pipe length is criticle in the harmonics of the exhaust system to help the cylinder scavenging of burnt exhaust gases. By changing the length the system is ruined and you end up with burnt gasses in the chamber which means two things, more heat is the first, the second is less room for fresh air which has burnable oxygen.

For that reason I usually avoid chopping exhaust. Now if you're turbo then none of this is true as the turbo itself mostly stops the harmonic wave of exhaust but makes up for it by spooling the turbo.
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
csmith
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K View Post
Generally speaking the worst thing you can do for performance is to change the length of the pipe in this manner.

The pipe length is criticle in the harmonics of the exhaust system to help the cylinder scavenging of burnt exhaust gases. By changing the length the system is ruined and you end up with burnt gasses in the chamber which means two things, more heat is the first, the second is less room for fresh air which has burnable oxygen.

For that reason I usually avoid chopping exhaust. Now if you're turbo then none of this is true as the turbo itself mostly stops the harmonic wave of exhaust but makes up for it by spooling the turbo.
I currently have a flowmaster installed on mine by the p.o. I just cut my tailpipe off behind the muffler and didn't loss any power. It definately is louder now. I have a banks system and a free flow cat to install as soon as I get my rear suspension tweaked exactly the way I want it.
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #29
freeman84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had a flowmaster 40 for a while and it sounded ok at best. It also was really loud in the cab and became very annoying. I now have a SpinTech Prostreet 6000 series muffler and it is great. It sounds amazing and really mean. Best part is it doesnt drone in the cab at all. I have had several people ask if I had a V8 under the hood.
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #30
guruleenyc
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni3411
the only real way to get a great sounding exhause, not just a loud muffler sound is by doing the whole set up...headers high flow cat and 2/3 chamber muffler or like a magnaflow straight through type muffler
Agreed, but there's budget constraints :-(

So I kept the stock exhaust Manifold and went with everything else. Loud and not annoying in my opinion. Had my mountain bike in the back with the hatch open and it was even louder to my surprise, which gave me a better idea of what it sounds like to others behind me... sounds like a 302 Mustang with flows! ;-)

Last edited by guruleenyc; 04-19-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Tags
exhaust , loud , louder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.