LOUD violent POP from transfer case on occasion from my lifted Rubicon transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LOUD violent POP from transfer case on occasion from my lifted Rubicon transfer case

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

LOUD violent POP from transfer case on occasion from my lifted Rubicon transfer case

Hello. I just bought my first Jeep, I will make a thread as soon as I can load some pics, but right now I'm a little disconcerted by an occasional and loud "POP" that comes from the transfer case. This "pop" has come when I was shifting from reverse to 1rst, 1rst to 2nd, downshifting from 2nd to 1rst or just starting out from 1rst. This Jeep has been lifted 3.5", 2.25" of suspension lift, and 1.25" of body lift, and 1" spacers where placed under the motor mounts. I don't think anything has been done to the transfer case mount. The pinion angle looks pretty good, but it isn't straight line right now. The truck rides on 33's, and every time this "pop" has happened so far I was driving it in 2wd.

I plan on inspecting the transfer case for broken teeth but I haven't made it that far yet.

Any ideas? I need to figure this out before something breaks, if it hasn't already.

Thanks for reading.

anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

How did you isolate it to the transfer case?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
How did you isolate it to the transfer case?
That's what it sounds like to me, judging from the sound and where it is coming from. I'm not 100% certain though.
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My rubi transfer case seems to do this also but only in 4 low...so im curious
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does it seem to come up from the floor pan, under the driver?

If so, it could be the transfer case shift linkage. On a stock TJ, it's mounted to the tub. When a body lift is installed the linkage can get bound up and pop now and them. The solution is to use an adapter bracket that moves the linkage to not mount on the tub, such as the Advance Adapters unit.

http://advanceadapters.com/product/2...r-Bracket.html

You can remove the rear driveshaft and drive on the front in 4-hi to attempt to isolate the noise.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^thanks. Now I have a starting point to work from. I will try that this weekend.

The sound seems to emanate from the right hand side, I hear it from the right hand side, not necessarily from 'directly' under the tub.
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
jmeeks83

Please let us know what you figure out. I've been having this exact problem with my '04. I've been told two or 3 different things by mechanics.
jmeeks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
jmeeks83

Oh... and I don't have a body lift.
Unread 07-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm still working on this. I've been granny shifting a lot lately and it's been much reduced in frequency and severity... still not sure why this is.
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try pulling the rear drive shaft and run it in 4hi.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #11
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^thanks. I've marked the front driveshaft to see if it moves, i'll do what you suggest after I've checked that out.
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #12
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
^^^thanks. I've marked the front driveshaft to see if it moves, i'll do what you suggest after I've checked that out.
The front driveshaft spins whether youre in 4wd or not. I might have missed something here....
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
The front driveshaft spins whether youre in 4wd or not. I might have missed something here....
oh yeah, that makes sense. Oops.
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
jmeeks83

Believe it or not, mine was the control arms in the front end. I don't know how the sound traveled up that far but it did. Good luck
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeeks83 View Post
Believe it or not, mine was the control arms in the front end. I don't know how the sound traveled up that far but it did. Good luck
It could be from that area. It's coming from the right front (I know that's not where the transfer case is). How did you figure it out and how did you correct it?

Tags
pop , noise , bang , transfer case , linkage , fix , help , rubicon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.