loud noise when I turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > loud noise when I turn

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
97tj4.0

loud noise when I turn

I am having a problem almost every time i drive my jeep now. when i turn, usually left, i hear a loud bang from the rear end. Do you think my differential might be locking up and if so what will fix it? thanks

97tj4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
jonster
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97tj4.0
I am having a problem almost every time i drive my jeep now. when i turn, usually left, i hear a loud bang from the rear end. Do you think my differential might be locking up and if so what will fix it? thanks
First, do you know if you have a locking diff. in the back. If so, they tend to make noise (clunking sound) when you make turns. Need more info.
Unread 01-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
97tj4.0

i'm not really sure. i have had the jeep for about a year so i don't know what all has been done to it. it just happens when i slow down and turn. it almost feels like somethings shifting around back there. it makes a loud pop. i recently had a 4in lift put on it, i thought maybe something had worked lose and was slipping back there, but i don't know.
Unread 01-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
jonster
2014 JK Wrangler 

Here is a way to check to see if you have a locker installed. Check the rear axel. If you have a locker it will act like the discription following:

"Now as a final test, put the transmission in gear to lock the driveshaft. Next, have a helper rotate the passenger’s-side wheel (axle) in a forward direction until it stops and hold it. This side is now locked. Now, rotate the driver’s-side wheel in the opposite (reverse) direction. The Locker should click as the Coupler attached to the axle rotates. Now have your helper rotate the same wheel in a reverse direction until it stops and hold it. Now, rotate the driver’s-side wheel in the opposite (forward) direction and again you should hear the clicking sound. Have your helper change sides and perform the same test. If your measurements and tests have been successfully completed the unit has been installed correctly and you are now ready to install the differential cover and add the required amount of fluid."

This was for a "lunchbox" type locker like Powertrax. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
97tj4.0

thanks it is helpful

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.