Loud noise in front when turn? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loud noise in front when turn?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
zenash22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well took in in yesterday to have it looked at and the U joint changed-This was not the problem, was told it was the upper trailing arm driver side, they didn't have the part , asked if safe to drive, guy said no problem as long as you can stand the banging noise when turning.
Went into town this am banging louder and now in the passenger side also, going down small hill stopped before making a left turn - passenger side of the jeep banged and went downward, had to drive with it lopsided!! called garage and left it there -does anyone else know what could be wrong here? sounds like it is more than the trailing arm (drivers side)

zenash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenash22 View Post
Please could someone give me some advice -Jeep is making a very loud noise when I turn in driveway of make a sharp turn. Could this be a ball joint or a u joint? I had a chevy truck that had the same sound and ball joint broke front end was on the ground!
Sharp turns-jeep jerks like it is sticking
not sure how to discribe the tire sound it is not like a rock in the tire more like a uneven hum similiar to a train (but not as loud -an uneven sound)
PLEASE HELP!
Annie
Quote:
Well took in in yesterday to have it looked at and the U joint changed-This was not the problem, was told it was the upper trailing arm driver side, they didn't have the part , asked if safe to drive, guy said no problem as long as you can stand the banging noise when turning.
Went into town this am banging louder and now in the passenger side also, going down small hill stopped before making a left turn - passenger side of the jeep banged and went downward, had to drive with it lopsided!! called garage and left it there -does anyone else know what could be wrong here? sounds like it is more than the trailing arm (drivers side)
So, they're telling you it's the drivers side, upper control arm? If so, I would expect a clunk, not a "hummmmm...." And the part about the Jeep going "downward" isn't making sense to me.

Don't you have a 4wd shop in your locality? Someone that knows & understands Jeep will be invaluable to you. I'm not convinced the guy you're working with or talking to, is on the right track...can you post up a picture of your drivers side, upper control arm from a few different angles so we can see what your mechanic is seeing?

I wonder if the rear trac-bar mount at the axle end disintegrated...losing a coil spring would make the Jeep lopsided...this is FUBAR. Get it to a Jeep guy.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #18
zenash22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep is at the shop hope it will be fixed today, I thank you for your help. I kinda feel the same as you, not convinced this guy knows what it is although he is a mechanic, and I dont know anything about this, just know very scarey when I drive it and I feel have no control steering, (like it is too loose and wanders)
I was explained that the upper trailing arm bearing is bad and would cause the tire to sound uneven because the arm stablizes the steering, this could also explain driving on a muddy road front wheels caused the jeep to swerve very badly even when I put in 4 wheel (almost like no contro lor grip in front end) never happened before even in the snow.
When turning to the left or driving on bumpy road (like mine with potholes) the banging comes from the front of the jeep-although before I took it in it was happening on both side when going straight (hit a pothole) the banging is very loud and can feel at my feet, it is now on the passenger side, also heard something in the rear passenger side. Will call this am to suggest he look at the rear track bar mount and the coil spring. I luv my jeep but have had enough! bought it in 06 used with 90,000 miles 2 mos. after driving down the road going around a bend-steering broke was on the ground! had it towed to a dealer-they replaced the steering box, and put a used front axle(?) in -ever since front end has been odd like I discribed above-very loose feeling-will let you know what happens and I thank you again for your time
Anne
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
zenash22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

U were right!
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #20
zenash22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The problem with the banging was fixed!! Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help
it turned out to be the upper trail arm on driver side and driver front sway bar link
Thanks again guys!!
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
TJBrit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The problem with the banging was fixed!! Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help
it turned out to be the upper trail arm on driver side and driver front sway bar link
Thanks again guys!!
Where's my prize?
Rough Country 2.5" lift, 15x8 Black Rock D wheels 4.5BS, 32x11.5x15r Falken Rocky Mtns ATS, Full Traction Steering Stabilizer, Rockman steering box skid plate, Rusty radiator skid plate, SmittyBilt SRC rear bumper, KC HiLites Headlamps, RC Quick Disconnects.
TJBrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joints , noise , noise when turning , steering , u joints

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.