Loud Clutch Clunk Noise When Engaged/Disengaged Under Load (Video) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loud Clutch Clunk Noise When Engaged/Disengaged Under Load (Video)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Loud Clutch Clunk Noise When Engaged/Disengaged Under Load (Video)

2001 Wrangler 4.0L, Original Clutch

When I depress the clutch pedal under load, the midsection (somewhere in the trans, transfer case, clutch assembly) makes a jarring clunking noise. I get the noise when I engage or disengage the clutch typically in first through second gears. But if I shift gently and match RPMs the noise is gone or is diminished greatly.

Check out this video, not my Jeep but its making the exact same noise under the same circumstances. Listen to (seconds) 4, 24 and 36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aaFSZx9bpk

I have checked all the U Joints, they are fine. All front end components are tight and in good order. Every bolt under my jeep is torqued to spec. Ive pulled both front and rear drive shafts and eliminated the possibility of slack in the axle setup. And yes the trans mount is perfect.

All I can do is narrow it down to the transmission, clutch or transfer case. I definitely hear it coming from under the jeep, center body. Any ideas? Maybe the throw out bearing?

01TJfuntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hate to bump my own post I know there are few other threads on this subject but nobody has any gotten any solid answers. Seems like a pretty common problem, someone must have a solution. Any takers???
Unread 04-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would venture to say it's the t-case linkage hitting the body.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
I would venture to say it's the t-case linkage hitting the body.
I have that problem too but that noise is more of a light taping sound and I can make it go away if I hold the 4x4 shift lever. The mystery noise is a loud metal clunk. See the link I posted, that's exactly what it sounds like.
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Papake
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same noise...any solutions out there?
Papake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
romanella
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bump - I have the same problem and can't figure it out.

Thanks!
romanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Cjensenr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

hmmm....

C.
Cjensenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

how many miles are on it? if you cant find anything loose, it may be the transfer case drive chain.

but i would check all the u joints and bearings first.

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
LocknRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

same noise here, nv3550, 35k miles.

I can re-produce it at will by slowly easing the clutch out at idle(no gas) and just as the clutch is almost fully engaged, depress the clutch pedal quickly. The Clank...clink clink is more pronounced if on a slight incline. If I depress the clutch pedal slowly...no clank.

FWIW...I had the service manager at my dealership take a listen and his response was that it is a normal sound produced by rapidly unloading the transmission while under torque.

Not sure if I buy "normal" or not, but it sure seems like a common condition from reading JF posts on the topic.

Unread 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
USMCTJ13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same crap with my 00tj 39somethinthousand miles. it was fine before it got rebuilt, now it grinds every gear, it "thumps" if i dont let the clutch out smooth enough, and it makes a grinding noise until i push in the clutch. thinking about swaping a nv4500 or ax-15. i found it crazy that jp magazine said the nv3550 was one of the best manuals jeep ever used but they suck!
USMCTJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
s0l0ithz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

same noise and problem here . I have an 06 rubi with 44k on it all stock.
s0l0ithz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

same here with an '01 and a whopping 150k+ miles
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
Jaybob7

Hey Guys, not sure if anyone figred this one out, but I found this from another thread:

"The reason I feel a clunk when I press down on the clutch pedal and rapidly engage it again is because the mainshaft is no longer spinning, and when the clutch is rapidly engaged, well it clunks a little because the mainshaft has to go to 700+ RPM from 0 RPM. If I go from neutral > clutch disengaged > quick shift into 1st and clutch engaged > accelerate, the mainshaft doesn't have time to spin down".

Has any progress been made on a cause for this thread?

Thanks!

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Jaybob7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
MXCarson92
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah mine does it too, I just don't worry about it too much and figure it's just unloading the transmission load a little too fast. Just a quick couple of clanging metal noises. Never seemed to hurt anything...

2003 Chevy 2500HD | 6.0 w/ 4.10s | Keys | H2 Wheels/315 BFG's
98 TJ SE | 3.75" Rough Country | 33x12.5x15 DC Mud Country | Cobra 19DX/Firestik 4' | IPF X4 | Genright Steering Box Skid - SOLD

ΦΚΣ
My Build
MXCarson92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
ridethecannaBUS
2005 TJ Wrangler 

can't view the video anymore but I know exactly what your talking about. It worried me at first but I was told that this is normal for Jeep Wrangler TJ manual transmissions. Also, I have the NSG370 6 Speed transmission so I guess its common on that transmission in addition to the NV3550 5 Speed.
ridethecannaBUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.