Loud Clunking noise from Front End - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loud Clunking noise from Front End

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
WesFent

Loud Clunking noise from Front End

So i have a 2003 Rubicon that i bought around a year ago. I do no offroading hardly even though i would like to. Anyways about 3 days ago my front end sounds like from underneath maybe driveshaft is making a clunk,clunk,clunk when accelerating or braking at low speeds. Really cant hear the noise past first gear. Ive tried putting in neutral and has no affect. I took it to a auto mech and he lifted it and i couldnt hear the noise but he said it was my transfer case and should take it to a jeep dealer to look at it. I dont know much about so thinking about taking it in any advice?

WesFent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Zakman
A locked & armored Sport

2002 TJ Wrangler 

"Angry Sparrows?" Do a search on it. Lots of good info on it.

Mine was a rear axle bearing. This of course being after I changed the front rotars, pads, unit bearings, front axle shafts, and front driveshaft. lol.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...-sport-671095/
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
WesFent

Thanks, there is alot of info however mines more of a grinding clunk. From reading though i think im going to remove my front drive shaft and see if i can duplicate the noise. Hope its just a U-Joint even though I have the least bit idea.
Unread 05-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
WesFent

Okay so i was looking for some video and found this on youtube. This is the same noise my jeep is making. As stated above doesnt matter if going straight or turning just starts when accelerating and the faster i go the faster the sound until about 30mph and then i hear it again when stopping and the sounds reflects the speed. Please visit this site and see if you know what it is???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHyVeAXMGw

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.