Loud "clicking" noise coming from the rear end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loud "clicking" noise coming from the rear end

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Mitcho11
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Loud "clicking" noise coming from the rear end

Ok, I am in need of some help identifying a noise I just began to hear in my 02 TJ.

While accelerating I dont seem to hear the noise like I do while slowing down in gear and the best way I can describe the noise is a rapidly repeating click noise.

I was told by a tranmission shop that my transmission needed to be rebuilt but with only 75K miles I find that hard to believe. I think the sound is coming from either the rear drive shaft or differential.

So far I have only pulled the plug on the rear differential to check out the gear oil only to find it to be a milky consistency. I pumped that out and replaced to see if that would solve the problem. It did not which makes me believe I may have been to late. I have noticed minor oil on the differential prior to this. I tightened down all the bolts and planned on replacing the gasket as well but have yet to do so and have taken it through some water in the mean time which I believe is the cause of this issue.

Can anyone offer me any advice or thoughts on this? Could the rear differential need rebuilt, could it be a rear pinion bearing?

Mitcho11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the diff cover to properly change the fluid. This will allow you to see the the gears. Check the ring gears, spider gears, and pinions gear for missing teeth.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Mitcho11
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are any of those gears and/or bearings easily replaceable or should I have it professionally done?

I have read about pinion bearing replacement and that seems like a job for a shop to handle due to measurments and adjustments involved.
Mitcho11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitcho11 View Post
Are any of those gears and/or bearings easily replaceable or should I have it professionally done?

I have read about pinion bearing replacement and that seems like a job for a shop to handle due to measurments and adjustments involved.
Spider gears are easy to replace, ring gear and pinion gear aren't and should be done by a professional.

But start by pulling the cover to look for anything abnormal/broken/out of place.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

before you start thinking too big get under your jeep and check your u-joints
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
Gruneun
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeegt
before you start thinking too big get under your jeep and check your u-joints
+1
Gruneun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had something similar, when coming to a stop it was a "click, click, click", and the slower I went the more separated the clicks were.

I have drums in the rear and turns out all of the grease was missing from the grease points on the backing plate. Need to possibly check that. Should be pretty easy, or cheap if you take it somewhere.

Might not be your answer, but it fixed mine. Thought I would try to help. Best of luck!
93civic_Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
ROUGHSHOD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also....make sure you don't have something stuck in one of your tires.

Does the click rate change according to your speed?
ROUGHSHOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
MICOMARK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ah Cherokee GT and all who have replied: Mitch011 is my son and let me explain a bit more about what we did to figure out where this noise might be located. First, I shook the drive shaft at the rear u-joint just forward of the rear differential. It seems solid with very little to no play. We have the jeep up on four jacks and went through all the gears. 1st gear, couldn't hear the noise, 2nd gear started to hear it, 3rd and 4th gear really heard it. It is not a whir or whistle like you would hear from a clutch throw out bearing. More of a click or clunk as the drive shaft turns. Took the greater RPM's for the noise to really produce itself. So, while drivetrain was turning I put a 1/2" solid brass rod to the bottom of the differential case and cupped the other end to my ear. The noise seemed louder toward the yoke shaft portion of the diff case than when I moved the rod back more toward the center of the bottom side of diff. case. So, not sure if it is differential or pinion gears, the pinion bearing or the U-joint?
I was thinking of taking out the rear drive shaft, then driving it in Front drive only. If the sound does not produce itself when on the road and going through the gears, then it isn't in the diff. gear box but could still be rear pinion bearing or the u-joint. Am I thinking right here?? Any other testing ideas anyone.
We kind of ruled out the transmission even though told it may need bearings because when we put the transfer case in neutral and went through the gears no noise. I agree with my son. AT 73K miles trans. bearings shouldn't be bad
Thanks and thanks.
MICOMARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
wj0313
2003 WJ 

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would disconnect the shaft and check for noise. I know its painful to think the trans may be the cause but don't rule it out. The easiest way to rule out the diff is to just pull the cover.
wj0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
bwright1818
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You may think this is stupid but a true story....I had an alloy wheel come loose and this is EXACTLY what it sounded like and I mean exactly, at least by your description. Wouldn't hurt to rule it out quick, anyway....
bwright1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if the sounds coming from the rear diff pull the cover and see if theres anything unusual in there (broken ring gear or anything like that

also theres sooo many distinct sounds one can hear from a car if you could get a video of the sound i might have heard it before (worth a try)
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.