Loud bang when I flexed my front axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Loud bang when I flexed my front axle?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Loud bang when I flexed my front axle?

I had my front driver side tire on a small hill, I couldn't make it up all the way because there were trees at the top, so I pushed in my clutch and right as I started rolling back there was a loud bang that came from the front end (while flexed out to the max with sway bars connected). When I went on some two tracks later in the day, it kept on making a thud like the springs kept on shifting but it only made the noise over rough terrain but does not make the noise on the road except turning into bumpy driveways at around 10mph. I know their are several threads on noises in the front, but this one started off differently from the others I read so I was wondering if that could help narrow it down. I also just changed my front diff fluid a couple days before but I doubt that would be a problem.

05WK98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
wytewolf00
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Crawl under the Jeep and take a look...Have someone turn the wheel while you're under there looking. You could have popped a bushing or damaged the spring or mount in some way.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #295
wytewolf00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Crawl under and check the links/bushings then jack up the front and check the u joints at the front.

One other thing, were you driving near a grassy knoll? snipers sometimes hang out by them, check the skid plate for 6.5mm bullet marks.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After having my brother bounce up and down on the front bumper I found that one of the sway bar links had separated at the ball and joint socket probably from wearing out. Now I have an excuse to buy a set of quick discos
Unread 06-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now I have a new problem. I have been trying to pull off the top part of the factory sway bar link where it is press fitted into the sway bar and I cant get it off no matter what I try. I have already broken a 2 ton 3 arm puller and I tried using a pickle fork on it but that didn't do anything. I also tried heating it up with a propane torch but that didn't do anything either. I have whacked at it for what seems like hours with a hammer and a mallet to no avail. Anyone have any ideas to remove this press fit bolt?
Unread 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As soon as read your post, I knew it was the stock swaybar link as I did the exact same thing a few years ago. I unbolted the other side and swung the swaybar straight down until it touched the bumper. I then use a BFH to hammer it out, making sure to hold the swaybar to keep it from bouncing back. Good luck.
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep06 View Post
As soon as read your post, I knew it was the stock swaybar link as I did the exact same thing a few years ago. I unbolted the other side and swung the swaybar straight down until it touched the bumper. I then use a BFH to hammer it out, making sure to hold the swaybar to keep it from bouncing back. Good luck.
I would do that except I tried to unbolt the sway bar link on the other side from the axle side but the torx bolt is stuck. I got the nut off fine but the bolt wont budge and I fear stripping the torx head on the bolt. Any tips to get the bolt out. It wouldn't even turn when I broke the nut loose
Unread 06-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got the sway bar link off by sliding the bottom of the link off the bolt but the bolt is still stuck. I tried hitting this bolt out with the nut on the end with the back of an ax but nothing.

I also put the sway bar against the bumper and hit the bolt with the back of a 10lb ax about 50 times and NOTHING!!!

Would heating up the bolts with a propane torch then whacking them help

Oh and sorry for the huge pics
100_0022.jpg   100_0021.jpg  
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of hitting the end of the threads (and mushrooming them), take 2 hammers and hit opposite sides of the sway bar... On each side of the ball joint at the same time. Don't hit the ball joint... Just the sway bar. It should pop out after a couple whacks.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just did a HP D30 out of an XJ, the sway bar bolt on the axle side mount was pressed in like a lug nut, it had splines to prevent it turning,
I ended up using a ball joint press and a large impact to get it out and even then it was tough, you may not be able to turn it to get it out.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
1999TJRED85000

Look over your shoulder and be sure your ex-wifes/girlfriends'/wife's/mistresses
significant other is not standing in the road with a gun. Then proceed to examine
the Jeep.
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
I just did a HP D30 out of an XJ, the sway bar bolt on the axle side mount was pressed in like a lug nut, it had splines to prevent it turning,
I ended up using a ball joint press and a large impact to get it out and even then it was tough, you may not be able to turn it to get it out.
Ditto, but I ended up cutting the bolt, then drilling it out.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

let some pb blaster set for a bit then use some heat and try that with a HARD whack but dont mess up the tip of the bolt so that it wont slide out so but a nut on it a bit so you hit that and not the threads.
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so after a ton of heat and while my c clamp was putting a ton of pressure on the pressed in bolt and a bunch of really hard whacks with a hammer it popped loose. Thanks for the tips everyone it was much appreciated.
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you go it! Head and a big smack can work
Wonders haha

Tags
front end clunk , front end noise , noise , popping noise , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.