loss of power while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > loss of power while driving

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
ballanceg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

loss of power while driving

I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, automatic, that has been great for the 3 years that I've owned it so far. In the past month, I've had an issue with it suddenly losing power either while driving or idling at a stop. I notice the RPM's are fine and suddenly drops to nothing and the engine is off. I still have lights, radio, power, etc but no engine. Most of the time I can re-start and get it going again but once I could not - almost like flooded and called wrecker. Auto repair place replaced fuel pump and filter. Seemed fine for about 3 weeks and back to it again. Used lucas fuel filter cleaner and changed gas stations but now it's doing it again. Driving home the other night at 40mph and all of a sudden it was gone. no RPM's, no power nothing but lights, radio working still. Coasted to side and almost like last time when wrecker called. I worked with it for a about 5 minutes and finally got it started andhome. It's back at the repair place now. Any ideas? I thought bad gas at first but changed stations and brand and used the fuel injector cleaner twice with no apparent luck. Odd just driving as normal and then RPM's go to zero and coast to the side of the road and sometimes can re-start and less often can't get it re-started. It does turn over but won't start. Sorry for length but wanted to get as much info in as I can. Love my Jeep

ballanceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Battery? Clogged cat?
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Throttle position sensor possibly. Have u cleaned the iac, tps, throttle body?
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

90% chance of bad battery or bad connections. Get battery load-checked at a nearby auto parts store. If it passes, remove battery cables, clean completely, clean battery posts, re-install cables, tighten totally. Inspect cables, they're frequently corroded. Replace if so. Still a problem, check all grounds.

Lots of threads on this, check them out.
tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINUM View Post
If it was the tps it wouldnt just die it would run rough the transmission would be having problems shifting and it would die if you let out of the gas and it would would have trouble accelerating also
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
dino30
1999 WJ 

I would check the crank possession sensor ... I have had this happen on a 96 Ram 2500 and a 08 Wrangler JK ... Both where the Crank Sensor ... They had an issue when they were hot , it was an intermittent problem .. After checking them the rams had an issue because it was cracked around the magnetic pick up point .. the JK had a wire that was lose .. Hope this helps ...
dino30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballanceg View Post
I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, automatic, that has been great for the 3 years that I've owned it so far. In the past month, I've had an issue with it suddenly losing power either while driving or idling at a stop. I notice the RPM's are fine and suddenly drops to nothing and the engine is off. I still have lights, radio, power, etc but no engine. Most of the time I can re-start and get it going again but once I could not - almost like flooded and called wrecker. Auto repair place replaced fuel pump and filter. Seemed fine for about 3 weeks and back to it again. Used lucas fuel filter cleaner and changed gas stations but now it's doing it again. Driving home the other night at 40mph and all of a sudden it was gone. no RPM's, no power nothing but lights, radio working still. Coasted to side and almost like last time when wrecker called. I worked with it for a about 5 minutes and finally got it started andhome. It's back at the repair place now. Any ideas? I thought bad gas at first but changed stations and brand and used the fuel injector cleaner twice with no apparent luck. Odd just driving as normal and then RPM's go to zero and coast to the side of the road and sometimes can re-start and less often can't get it re-started. It does turn over but won't start. Sorry for length but wanted to get as much info in as I can. Love my Jeep
When it stall does the check engine would light come on like its suppose to when you turn the ignition over to try to restart it?
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01

If it was the tps it wouldnt just die it would run rough the transmission would be having problems shifting and it would die if you let out of the gas and it would would have trouble accelerating also
Not the way it happened when my TPS bit the bullet.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it is not a battery, once your vehicle is running you can pull the battery out of the vehicle and it will run until you shut it off. A bad alternator can do some funny things when it starts to let go. My radio wouldn't work right, my alternator gernaded itself and put a new one in and the radio worked fine lol. So check your connections on that. It is even not that hard to pull and bench test it real quick just to rule it out.

What does it do when you go to try and fire it back up? Click? crank over forever and then kills the battery- wears it down?
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
Speedymcracer01

Quote:

Not the way it happened when my TPS bit the bullet.
Thats what mine did
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would go here first if you haven't pulled and cleaned it recently. It's a good pm move if you haven't done it even if it isn't causing your issue, which it could be.

Looking over your alternator connections wouldn't hurt either. As said above, I wouldn't bother with the battery too much. Even as sensitive as tjs are with them, a battery or connection at wouldn't cause it to straight die after having been running for a while.

If all of that checks out, then look into the crank position.

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.