loss of power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > loss of power

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-21-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
echoes

loss of power

Need help. My Jeep, after driving it on the highway for about 10 minutes, will start to lose power. It seems as if there is no gas getting to the engine but, there is no sputtering. It idles fine but when I try to take off again it loses power. I'm thinking it is either the fuel pump or the coil. I think I smell something burning but the smell is very week. Also, I took it to the shop and had it hooked up to the computer and they said they found no errors. Any ideas on what it could be

echoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 07:26 AM   #2
joeyprice

2014 JK Wrangler 

There seems to be a lot of this going around. There are quite a few possible causes discussed here.
I'd start with teh 02 sensors and then start throwing darts.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sensor-problems-again-54685/
joeyprice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 08:16 AM   #3
echoes

o2 sensors have already been replaced. So has the TPS.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 09:16 AM   #4
nxsTJ28

I was having a similar problem only it would happen after driving for about an hour. I changed the O2 senor and the problem still occurred. After that I reset the computer (because I forgot to do so when I replaced the O2 sensor) while I took the distributor cap off and cleaned the rotor. I made a two hour trip without any problems.

I've also read that someone had a similar problem and it turned out to be their fuel sending unit was getting hot and sucking up air.???

I like what someone said above, just start throwing darts.

Good luck.
nxsTJ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
blk97tj
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes
Need help. My Jeep, after driving it on the highway for about 10 minutes, will start to lose power. It seems as if there is no gas getting to the engine but, there is no sputtering. It idles fine but when I try to take off again it loses power. I'm thinking it is either the fuel pump or the coil. I think I smell something burning but the smell is very week. Also, I took it to the shop and had it hooked up to the computer and they said they found no errors. Any ideas on what it could be
I'm having the same problem right now. I've read that it could be O2 sensors, fuel pump, etc. but if the O2's are bad wouldn't i get a check engine light? My light has never come one so i'm really not sure what to do about it
Unread 10-22-2003, 12:47 PM   #6
nxsTJ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk97tj
I'm having the same problem right now. I've read that it could be O2 sensors, fuel pump, etc. but if the O2's are bad wouldn't i get a check engine light? My light has never come one so i'm really not sure what to do about it
My light never came on and no codes posted either, however since I changed the upstream O2 sensor and reset the computer I haven't had any problems.
nxsTJ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I want to say I read an O2 sensor can die slowly and not post any codes. It's if it senses a drastic change that it will tick off the PCM. Do you have access to a scan tool? If so try hooking it up to see if the o2 sensor(s) are failing on you. Another thought is mine run like crap when I had an exhaust leak.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
blk97tj
2014 JK Wrangler 

alright, i just figured out that my jeep only does this when i get below half a tank of gas...would that mean that the fuel pump is going out or what?
Unread 11-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #9
Chackbay Cajun

Having similar problem,

My guess is that the decreased hydrostatic head from the lower fuel level is causing a weakened fuel pump to produce less pressure than is necessary to keep the fuel flow rate up.

I have a long explaination on one of my other replies....search for it if youre interested....I'm tired of typing.
later,
steve
Chackbay Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2003, 07:17 PM   #10
DirtyRedTJ

Certainly sounds like a fuel pressure problem. It may be the fuel filter, pump, or some flow problem in the line or injectors. Just pick one and start.
DirtyRedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

Similar Problem

I started having a similar problem. Got down to about 1/4 tank and it would just cut off. Starts right back up, but happened a couple of times more. Put gas in and it's got no problem. Like a previous post, it doesn't seem to sputter (at least not for long <1 second), so it doesn't feel like the fuel is cutting out.........

I only had to put in 15 gallons in a 19 gallon tank, so there was "plenty" of gas in there.

Thanks!

Edit: just noticed the previous post is 3 years old...funny
Unread 07-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of people notice smells when the cat goes bad.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.