• 1 Post By XJ_jeepin_06

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
jeepinjoeu
CO Trail Bandit

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Loss of coolant and overheating.

So my 01 tj has been having a few cooling system problems lately, I've had a few gallons of coolant go missing and have had to top it off almost every day or 2. Occasionally heat doesn't blow hot but always comes back quickly. The engine is running fine, no misfires or smoke coming from the tailpipe. No leaks coming from anywhere in the cooling system (I haven't looked at the weep hole yet which I will do tomorrow). The jeep has reached 260F a few times after sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes.

I performed a pressure test on the system, held 20 psi for 30 min, no leaks anywhere. I was thinking potentially it could have a blown head gasket but no bubbles in the coolant or pulsating with the pressure gauge while the engine was running, so from what the book tells me that's a no. I performed a compression check for the hell of it and all cylinder were between 130-140 psi, so all good.

I replaced all the coolant and hoses 3 months ago with silicon hoses and Mopar 5 year. The radiator is the original one.

What is the next step I should take?

Another thing I should note, after I drove to work the other morning (45min) I sat in the Jeep with the heat on full blast for a few minutes, and next thing I notice the jeep is at 260 and the radiator cap pressure release blew, steaming everywhere, I thought the Jeep was on fire for a second. Why would the have happened as well? T-stat stuck closed?

Thanks all.

2001 TJ, 4.0, Auto, 35's, Locked Dana 44's, 5.38s, Atlas 2
I want more wheelbase...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 08:21 PM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjoeu View Post
I replaced all the coolant and hoses 3 months ago with silicon hoses and Mopar 5 year. The radiator is the original one.
Was this before or after the leak started?

Does the fluid only disappear while the engine is running, or can it disappear overnight?

Have you changed your oil lately?

Does the 2001 have the tranny cooler at the bottom of the engine rad? If so, check your ATF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
jeepinjoeu
CO Trail Bandit

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
Was this before or after the leak started?

Does the fluid only disappear while the engine is running, or can it disappear overnight?

Have you changed your oil lately?

Does the 2001 have the tranny cooler at the bottom of the engine rad? If so, check your ATF.
Replaced 3 months ago, loss of coolant started probably 3 weeks ago.

It seems to disappear every time I drive and overnight, every time I check after a drive the bottle is empty and if I let it cool off and open the cap the radiator has lost some. I do not check every day, probably every other day or 3rd day.

Changed oil 2,000 miles ago, no coolant on the dipstick at oil or trans.

Yes the trans cooler is part of the radiator, is it common for it to crack internally and get into the trans?

I want more wheelbase...

post #4 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 PM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes the trans cooler is part of the radiator, is it common for it to crack internally and get into the trans?
I've never seen an actual case of it happening, but I'd guess it's possible. Somebody else would know this better than me.

What type of coolant are you adding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
jeepinjoeu
CO Trail Bandit

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
I've never seen an actual case of it happening, but I'd guess it's possible. Somebody else would know this better than me.

What type of coolant are you adding?
I figure it could happen, Mopar 5 year coolant 50/50

I want more wheelbase...
post #6 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the transmission fluid?...
post #7 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 12:28 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So my 01 tj has been having a few cooling system problems lately, I've had a few gallons of coolant go missing and have had to top it off almost every day or 2. Occasionally heat doesn't blow hot but always comes back quickly. The engine is running fine, no misfires or smoke coming from the tailpipe. No leaks coming from anywhere in the cooling system (I haven't looked at the weep hole yet which I will do tomorrow). The jeep has reached 260F a few times after sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes.
My 2000' had the exact same symptoms when my head had a small crack in it. No obvious signs, other than disappearing coolant. It overheated when sitting at stop lights too long as the coolant got low. I'm guessing the coolant was burning off, although you couldn't smell it through the exhaust. I drove it that way for 6 months and adding coolant every few days got too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 06:00 AM
Athensdawgs81
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Have you looked around the weep hole on your water pump for any signs of leaking. I was slowly losing coolant for about a year and could not find it. Finally my weep hole started pouring coolant. I figured it was probably slowly leaking the whole time and I just didn't notice it. It's so hot around there I figured it was evaporating before hitting the ground until the day it started gushing.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

is your overflow bottle low as well? Could the Rad cap not be pressuring? I was losing coolant weeks ago and almost overheating , only in traffic. I replaced my Cap (18lbs) and all was good and has been since.... Simple, cheap place to start.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #10 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 01:28 PM
XJ_jeepin_06

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My '00 XJ and '00TJ both cracked the head around 140k. The xj it would drink coolant and it became mixed with the oil.

The TJ would use small amounts of coolant (about 1gal a week) nothing on the dipstick. But would overheat in traffic and on the trail. I pressure tested the TJ while cold and it would pass. The crack only opened while hot.

I would be prepared to swap the head. Sorry.
TheBoogieman likes this.

1997 TJ. Red. 4.0/AX15/NP231 SSSYE. D30/S35. Lokka/E-Locker. 4.10s. RC2.5" JK Rubi Tires/Wheels.
Antirock.

2000 2dr XJ D44HP/9in ARBs. 36" Iroks. Lots of skids/Lots of Damage. SOLD 6-6-2013
post #11 of 13 Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
jeepinjoeu
CO Trail Bandit

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for all the info guys, I was thinking it was either going to be a head gasket or a cracked head. I only have around 70k miles so I didn't think it would happen so soon. I guess I'll pull the head next weekend and send it down to the machine shop to have a magnetic particle inspection done.

Anyone know of any aftermarket heads that pair well with the 4.0? Or should I just go back with OEM?

I want more wheelbase...
post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 4runner act like this. One symptom that pops up with Toyota, and maybe jeep, is rougher starts after it cools. Coolant would leak back into the cylinder when the motor was off. I had no smoke out the tail pipe, no mixing in the oil and no bubbling in the radiator.

Pull your plugs and look for any that look unusually clean.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #13 of 13 Old 10-18-2017, 07:00 PM
etsubchief
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had a slow coolant leak for years, no tell tale signs of anything wrong, changed hoses, no signs of leaks, no coolant smells (until the end)
come to find out the fitting on the radiator going to the engine had a small crack that allowed to coolant to escape, but evaporate off very quickly due to the fan.
Once the crack got big enough a couple of pieces broke off and allowed more coolant to come out.

I didn't notice the crack when I changed hoses..... maybe something to look at?

06' Silver Unlimited, 3" suspension lift, 33 Discoverer STT's, Tube Bumpers, Black Rock Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.