Looking for springs that will yield 3.5" of lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for springs that will yield 3.5" of lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-24-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for springs that will yield 3.5" of lift

I'll be more detailed. I am running stock rubi springs & BB spacers. I have about 3.5" of suspension lift right now with a 1" BL & I like it. But the ride is pretty stiff, even with skyjacker hydros. I'd like to ditch the BB, find springs that will give me 3.5" of suspension lift & help soften the ride at the same time. for the record, the ride was stiff even before I added the BL.

***EDIT**

after further review, I realized that I have closer to 3.25" of lift. So springs that will yield 3.25" with my 4 banger are now in the running.

The problem I have been running into is even though a set of springs is advertised as 3.5" lift, they usually yield much more than that, especially with a 4 banger like I have.

I looked into RE 3.5" springs, but was told that with my Jeep, the RE 3.5" springs will yield closer to 4.5" and I don't want that much supension lift because I don't want to spend $$ on a SYE and CV drive shaft right now. I emailed an OME retailer about springs, but got no reply.

I have also considered ditching my 1" BL and just getting a 4" lift kit, but I don't want to spend $$ on a SYE and CV drive shaft right now. I don't need a T-case drop with my current setup, but I suppose if I did a 4" lift and T-case drop, the skid would be at the same height as it is now, right? anyway, again, would the springs yield a true 4" of lift, or would it be more? I'd be concerned if the springs yielded more than 4" my driveline would be too far out of whack with just the MML & T-case drop... and I dont want to chance that. Plus, I don't want to end up with a kit that has springs that are too stiff for my Jeep.

So basically I have the same issues with either scenario. But one thing I know is a 3.25" suspension lift (*please note edit to 3.25") with 1" BL is working for me & usually it's good to go with what you know.

thanks in advance for any advice and by all means, vendors feel free to chime in.

Last edited by +GRAVES+; 09-24-2008 at 04:10 PM..
+GRAVES+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My Rancho 3" HD springs give exactly 4" of lift and haven't sagged after 18 months.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

having Rubi springs on a 4 banger is part of the problem. The spring rate is too stiff. try finding a set of 4 banger springs. Or look at the Rancho 2.5" spring for the 4.0
Unread 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
having Rubi springs on a 4 banger is part of the problem. The spring rate is too stiff. try finding a set of 4 banger springs. Or look at the Rancho 2.5" spring for the 4.0

haha- oh yes, my dentist & I are quite aware of that!

The rubi springs are the same height as the stock 4 bangers, but stiffer. Thats why I get an extra 1" + of lift from them. I dont want to go back to stock 4 banger springs because I like the extra height.

will the rancho 2.5" coils yield 3.5" of suspension lift with my 4 banger Jeep without sagging over time? and how do they ride? I am guessing better than stock if you are recommending them.

many people, including mechanics, have told me "coils only effect height, not the ride quality". but that sure isn't true in my experience.

thanks
Unread 09-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what the coils will give on a 2.5 I've only used them on 4.0's. Coils effect ride height and ride quality. You've discovered this with the Rubi springs. The higher the spring rate the stiffer the ride.
Unread 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I'm not sure what the coils will give on a 2.5 I've only used them on 4.0's. Coils effect ride height and ride quality. You've discovered this with the Rubi springs. The higher the spring rate the stiffer the ride.

exactamundo. and this brings me back to my original delimma. i want 3.5" of lift with good ride quality, but I am having a hard time finding springs that will yield 3.5" with my 4 banger. The guy that posted before you has a 4.0 & said he said 3" rancho springs yieled 4" of lift with his Jeep. Who knows what they'd do to my Jeep.

Maybe some vendors can chime in? I can't be the first person that has asked this question.

thanks
Unread 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Zennashton
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So you wont a soft 3.5 inch lift for your 4 banger? Thats a hard combo to come up with. Maybe some med duty ome 2.5 springs would do it. But I can only guess. Call an talk to Dirk at http://www.dpgoffroad.com/TJ_LJ_OME_Kits.htm
Zennashton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
girly04LJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

The best ride I have ever had was a 3" teraflex kit with teraflex shocks and I would bet with a 4 cylinder you would get between 3.5 and 4 inches of lift
girly04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by girly04LJ View Post
The best ride I have ever had was a 3" teraflex kit with teraflex shocks and I would bet with a 4 cylinder you would get between 3.5 and 4 inches of lift
Does teraflex post here? if so, can you chime in please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennashton View Post
So you wont a soft 3.5 inch lift for your 4 banger? Thats a hard combo to come up with. Maybe some med duty ome 2.5 springs would do it. But I can only guess. Call an talk to Dirk at http://www.dpgoffroad.com/TJ_LJ_OME_Kits.htm
soft "er" ride. I emailed & called these guys http://www.oldmanemu.com , but they never replied & didn't pick up the phone. I'll try your buddy Dirk when I get a chance.

thanks
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
TeraFlex
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by +GRAVES+ View Post
Does teraflex post here? if so, can you chime in please?
Sure!

3" springs sit just a hair over 3" (like 3.25") on a 6 cylinder TJ, so on your 4cyl you're probably going to see pretty close to the 3.5" you want.

Whatever springs you choose, make sure you get a good set of shocks that are valved for your vehicle--that's almost certainly a huge part of your ride quality issues. Most "budget" shocks like yours are just generically valved for anything, meaning they'll fit on anything from a lightweight Jeep or a heavy one-ton truck. That truck (for example) will need a much stiffer shock to function than your Jeep, so your result is a jarring ride.
TeraFlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by +GRAVES+ View Post
The guy that posted before you has a 4.0 & said he said 3" rancho springs yieled 4" of lift with his Jeep. Who knows what they'd do to my Jeep.
thanks
That was me and it won't effect yours more than that.The rubi springs give 1/2" on a 4.0 and not much more on a 2.5.My brother has them on his and it didn't lift it at all.I'd go with Rancho 2.5"HD springs(or RC 2.5 springs and add a spacer if needed) for 3.5" lift.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
That was me and it won't effect yours more than that.The rubi springs give 1/2" on a 4.0 and not much more on a 2.5.My brother has them on his and it didn't lift it at all.I'd go with Rancho 2.5"HD springs(or RC 2.5 springs and add a spacer if needed) for 3.5" lift.
My stock springs had 70,000 miles when I replaced them with rubi springs that had 300 miles on them. this gave me 1" lift in the front & 1.5" lift in the rear. the rubi springs are 129AB & 105AA

However I just re- did my math and I actually have closer to 3.25", not 3.5" total lift with the spacers. So I'd be happy with springs that give me around 3.25" of lift & a nice ride

I'd prefer to completely do away with spacers if possible.

I'd really like to hear from some vendors

thanks
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
Kpat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I got 3.5" of lift from using the springs from a v8 grand cherokee in the front and almost 4" for the rears from a ford crown victoria(police edition.

Cost 100 dollars for springs from scrap yard plus 15 from a spacer i made for the front on a lathe.

Kpat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Kpat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpat View Post
I got 3.5" of lift from using the springs from a v8 grand cherokee in the front and almost 4" for the rears from a ford crown victoria(police edition.

Cost 100 dollars for springs from scrap yard plus 15 from a spacer i made for the front on a lathe.

Oh the only thing i forgot to mention is that it is a lil on the rough side but i expected this. Running 4" lift on Short CA will be rough but the springs are fairly thick which doesn't help either.

Kpat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpat View Post
Oh the only thing i forgot to mention is that it is a lil on the rough side but i expected this. Running 4" lift on Short CA will be rough but the springs are fairly thick which doesn't help either.
you completely missed the point of my post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.