Looking for a skid plate - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 09-17-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for a skid plate

Like the title says, I'm looking for a skid plate to replace the stock shovel. My Jeep is an 06' 4.0, 6 speed. It has a 1.25" BL and 1" MML, ZJ springs up front to level it and sitting on 31" MT's. I'm basically looking for something to tuck up a bit tighter since I don't plan on lifting anymore. At most I would do some 1" spring spacers but I want to stay on 31" tires.

Pic for reference:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have an idea on how much you want to spend?...
post #3 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 05:45 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

As mentioned above, your budget will have a big effect on your options here.
I would recommend the Savvy Underarmor, but you will need a SYE and CV rear driveshaft to go with it. Even with your low/no lift and MML raising your t-case that much will put your rear driveshaft at extreme angles. When you do that it will lead to a need for adjustable rear control arms. And then you will likely need an angled rear track bar bracket. And that may or may not cause a need for lower end rear shock brackets or coil bucket trimming...
It's a snowball effect and not a simple mod. In my opinion it's worth it, but you need to be aware how involved it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

post #4 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 AM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have been looking at the TNTCustoms skid, but have not decided yet.
post #5 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Tylervalo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not opposed to doing an SYE, I've already picked up a good condition driveshaft from an Explorer to get cut when I go that route. Preferably I would like skid that I could use now as it sits, then go SYE if I do a 2" lift down the road. I don't do a lot of off road and I stay away from rocks, just need the extra clearance when I'm in ruts created by 33's and 35's.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any flat or close to flat belly skid is going to need a SYE and CV shaft and then adjustable arms to adjust the pinion angle. Adjusting the pinion angle may or may not lead to the requirement for a track bar bracket and something needing to be done about the shock mounts.
The increase in clearance is going to be particularly helpful at lower heights.

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

check out undercover fabs, they have several different skid heights, from replacing stock to raising it ~3.5". they also offer their skids in aluminum

post #8 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM
offroadman83
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Go with next venture motorsports...my ucf skid is disappointing to say the least
post #9 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've had two friends install UCF skids and they both said it should stand for "U Can Fab" because nothing fit quite right...

-

Quote:
post #10 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Jeepsr4me

your diffs are going to hang up way before the skid.... I am a fan of the camel trophy series and they run tiny tires compared to the ruts.. And the diffs drag more than any skid plate..
I uderstand you want to get that mud scoop up some. I just dont see how it hangs down lower than your diffs..

Could get something like this to keep from allowing the skid to dig in. Way lesss work than a tummy tuck..

post #11 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 04:59 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
I've had two friends install UCF skids and they both said it should stand for "U Can Fab" because nothing fit quite right...
I'll agree with this statement.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
b00mb00m
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Quote:
I'll agree with this statement.
I also confirm, took me about an hour to slot 3 holes with a dremel tool about 1/2" each. Factory plate lined up fine UCF no so much.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 05:44 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Never run their stuff myself, but did spend some time helping a friend make it work consistent with this.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00mb00m View Post
I also confirm, took me about an hour to slot 3 holes with a dremel tool about 1/2" each. Factory plate lined up fine UCF no so much.
IIRC, the way the holes lie, they basically shortened the factory skid, without accounting for the fact that the drivetrain actually pivots around the motor mounts instead of just lifting straight up.

I ended up drilling a new set of frame mount holes about 1.5" off from the original ones. I still don't like the way it sits. I'm eventually going to put in a tranny mount crossmember.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Pine_Cat

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylervalo View Post
I'm basically looking for something to tuck up a bit tighter since I don't plan on lifting anymore.
The Clayton belly skid is streamlined, lifts your transfer case 1.25" so you would not need a SYE

2017 JK Sahara (my Smart car)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32s)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (SWB-EXT lift, rear LJ Nth 4.5" springs, skinny 32s)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspensionMaxx and Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.