looking to replace my muffler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > looking to replace my muffler

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

looking to replace my muffler

Hey y'all, as the title suggests, I am looking to replace the muffler in my 05 wrangler...there is nothing wrong with it, but it is something I just want to do and it's a fairly easy thing. My question becomes, what is a good muffler that doesn't give the l6 4.0L a import-ish sound? I have been checking on youtube, and it's hard to tell because the poor quality of some of the videos, but I think I have my thoughts narrowed down to a glasspack (cherry bomb) or a Flowmaster Super 44 of 50 series. anyone have any first hand experience with either of these, and what would be the proper cherry bomb, the 9 or 12 degree angled 3 1/2" body tube?

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Flowmaster standard 40 and really like it. Not super loud, but lets its presence be known, and has a nice deep growl, not importish at all. I've never heard any of the other flowmasters on it, so I can't compare them, but flowmasters in general have a distinctive sound, so the difference is probably more noise volume than sound quality. One thing about mine though, it drones around 1800-2000rpms. Doesn't really bother me, but it does some people. I've heard mixed reviews about cherry bombs, so I'd try to hear one in person first if you go that route. Another one that gets good reviews is Magnaflow. If I recall they're supposed to be a little more toned down compared to a flowmaster. I also did a high-flow cat and 2.5" pipes from the cat back at the same time, don't know if those made any difference or not.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
4x4Mudmonster
1985 CJ7 

I have a glasspack on my Jeep. Its a 97 wrangler 4.0l, and it sounds pretty good, if I keep it under 1900 rpms that is...anything above that, and its like stock.
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
elmuiz

go on youtube and check out some jeep tj flowmaster super 40 videos.
elmuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

if you have the money, the monster banks exhaust is pretty loud. more expensive than the flowmaster though..

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
cam36
2012 JK Wrangler 

A buddy of mine threw on a magnaflow muffler and it sounded pretty nice, wasn't too loud, but before we put that on we ran it straight with just the cat...it sounded sooo nice haha but will definitely wake the neighbors hehe
3inch BDS w/ bilstein 5100s
cam36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muffler suggestion , muffler replacement , recommended muffler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.