LOOKING for a rear bumper and tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LOOKING for a rear bumper and tire carrier

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
ducaticorse

LOOKING for a rear bumper and tire carrier

I feel that warns pricing is absurd. 450 for a few welds seem a bit excessive.

Any one selling one or can point me in another direction, or do I just have to grin and bare it? Need to mount my spare!!

ducaticorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...e-Carrier.html

Same as a Warn, but alot cheaper.
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Besrk makes/sells a good one...he ain't givin em away though.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don’t have advice on which bumper to buy but I have a little advice what to look for. I have the Warn rear bumper and tire mount. It works fine for carrying the tire but not much else. It has a built in tube like a tow bumper but is labeled “not a tow bumper”, then why the hell is there a tow receptacle!? I’ve put my ski boat on there to move it around the driveway and it about rips the bumper off. It is mounted to the flimsy stock tabs on the back of the frame and has a couple reinforcing brackets but it’s not much, and yes it’s installed correctly. I’m building my own bumper out of a 6”x8” steel tube and I made brackets that will be mounted solidly to the frame. The idea with the tube is to put a lift hatch on the top of it and carry tow straps and other recovery gear in the bumper. Anyway my advice is to look at how the bumper attaches to the rig and get something that is attached at the rear of the frame and a foot or so forward of the rear of the frame if there is anything like that out there.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Besrk makes/sells a good one...he ain't givin em away though.
+1 on the Beserk recomendation!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney View Post
I don’t have advice on which bumper to buy but I have a little advice what to look for. I have the Warn rear bumper and tire mount. It works fine for carrying the tire but not much else.
How many bolts (total) are holding your bumper on?...
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check out Hyline offroad, made in USA and tow rated, not cheap but you get what you pay for. It'll be nearly impossible to get quality for under $450 unless you can make one. My .02
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney View Post
I don’t have advice on which bumper to buy but I have a little advice what to look for. I have the Warn rear bumper and tire mount. It works fine for carrying the tire but not much else. It has a built in tube like a tow bumper but is labeled “not a tow bumper”, then why the hell is there a tow receptacle!? I’ve put my ski boat on there to move it around the driveway and it about rips the bumper off. It is mounted to the flimsy stock tabs on the back of the frame and has a couple reinforcing brackets but it’s not much, and yes it’s installed correctly. I’m building my own bumper out of a 6”x8” steel tube and I made brackets that will be mounted solidly to the frame. The idea with the tube is to put a lift hatch on the top of it and carry tow straps and other recovery gear in the bumper. Anyway my advice is to look at how the bumper attaches to the rig and get something that is attached at the rear of the frame and a foot or so forward of the rear of the frame if there is anything like that out there.
Bull****, The warn bumper would handle more weight than your tj is safe to tow.
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
sleezy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed

Bull****, The warn bumper would handle more weight than your tj is safe to tow.
Not if it isnt tied into the frame. The stock bumper mounts are not very strong at all.
sleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleezy View Post
Not if it isnt tied into the frame. The stock bumper mounts are not very strong at all.
It comes with frame tie-ins. There are tons of people who have towed some heavy **** with the warn bumper. It is a heavy duty bumper built stronger than any hitch you would buy.
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
sleezy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed

It comes with frame tie-ins. There are tons of people who have towed some heavy **** with the warn bumper. It is a heavy duty bumper built stronger than any hitch you would buy.
Im not saying it doesnt come with the tie ins, im saying he may not have used them...
sleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleezy View Post
Im not saying it doesnt come with the tie ins, im saying he may not have used them...
Yeah, I bet he didn't use the tie-ins and didn't use all 10 bolts to mount it.
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
ducaticorse

Umm, holy ****e! This set up is half the price with free shipping?!! Do you think it's as good as a warn?

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...e-Carrier.html
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
ducaticorse

Well, I talked to the guy and apparently it is a warn. Made by the same manufacturer and steel with the same specs minus the W's on either end. Those are some expensive W's!!!! I just ordered it with free shipping. 449 with the recovery shackle for the reciever. SCORE!!!!!!
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the AtoZ rear bumper with hitch. It's a very nice unit and very heavy duty, I purchased mine last summer at the York jeep show. I think I got the last one they had on sale and it just barely fit in the back of the jeep. I'm only dissapounted with the black powder coating that started to rust 3 months after installing it. I took it to my local Paint shop to get it sprayed again. The rear handle that keeps the tire from swinging out is kinda annoying also if you have to put anything in the rear and your hands are full. I kinda wish I'd went with an ARB even though they're three times as much. oh well, it's made in USA so that's a plus. Make sure you buy the frame tie ins for it!
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.