Looking into a CAI/Hummer Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking into a CAI/Hummer Intake

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
KevinR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looking into a CAI/Hummer Intake

Hey guys,

I'm looking into doing a cowl CAI or maybe a Hummer snorkel for my jeep. My question is- what diameter PVC should I use? Is 2 in big enough, that looks to be about the size of the tube coming out of the stock filter box (which I'm going to try to retain.) Also, have any of you guys with a hummer snorkel had issues with water washing over the hood (ie hitting a puddle) and hydrolocking the engine? Thanks guys!

Kevin

KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

did you look at the several DIY Hummer/Snorkel write-ups linked in the CAI FAQ?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
KevinR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, I was trying to get a feel for dimensions. I hadn't seen any listed (maybe I looked at the wrong ones haha) And I was also looking for some more information on the issue of hydrolocking because I had read briefly about it in one thread but it wasn't elaborated on more than that. Maybe using a prefilter could help that?
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Watch videos of jeeps on youtube going through puddles. That should give you a good approximation on how high you need your filter to be to be able to go through a puddle X feet deep.
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am also getting ready to do one. The write-ups I read used 2-1/2" or 3" pipe. One of them picked up an extra air box to intake pipe and used that. There are a number of write-ups about this. If you are having a hard time finding them on here try Google.
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
KevinR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Benderff, that's what I needed I'll start designing around a 2.5 inch pipe and see what I can make work
Unread 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You can search Cowl intakes as well for more under the hood ideas. This is what I'm thinking about doing.
Jeep Horizons :: 4.0L Cold Air Cowl Intake With a snorkel cap.

If you use a precleaner keep in mind how much air flow you will need it to allow.
C.I.D.-Cubic Inch Displacement R.P.M.-Revolutions Per Minute Vol.Eff.-Volume Efficiency

Gasolineup to 2500 r.p.m.=.80 2500 to 3000 r.p.m.=.75 3000 to 4000 r.p.m.=.70
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.