Looking for insight on frame damage and leak of potential jeep purchase. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DylanC7410
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-19-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
DonutHands

Looking for insight on frame damage and leak of potential jeep purchase.

Jeep was hit in the front. Hood bumper and grill are toast, fenders not bad enough to warrant repair.

Real issue is the frame, you can see in the pic both frame rails are shifted over towards the passenger side. I looked underneath and nothing is twisted or kinked, no welds damaged. Jeep drives straight. Is this something I should walk away from? Price is right including money for repairs.

Other issue of lesser concern, oil leaking from rear of oil pan area. Easy enough to replace oil pan gasket or is this a warning sign for something else?

Thanks for any info.

Attached Thumbnails
jeep.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 PM
DylanC7410
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would recommend taking this to a frame repair shop because honestly it doesnt look that bad or atleast in the picture I dont know how much itll cost because I never bent a frame but once they have it bent back its not going to have anywhere near the factory strength unless you have bracings put over the frame and have a steel bumper put on haha. And to address that rear oil pan leak I would change out the rear main seal, thats usually the issue when theres oil leaking out the back of the engine and its not that bad to replace either.
olysteve likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutHands View Post
Price is right including money for repairs.

By this do you mean YOUR final investment would be on par with the cost of a rig that had no damage?
Does this include the time you will spend on repairs?

Unless your end cost would be thousands less than a non damaged rig, and you plan on off road for it only Id pass

post #4 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
DonutHands

yes, after repairs it would still be a very good deal as long as the frame repair is not too costly. Some searching shows straight forward frame repairs costing from $100-400.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 06:57 AM
VARIABLE9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You have no idea how much this could cost. Plus for whatever damage you see, there will most likely be damage you do no see. I would suspect the repairs, parts, paint refinishing would equal thousands of dollars which is why the owners insurance company isn't paying to repair it.

2000 TJ Sport, aka 'el óxido'
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 07:54 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

While hard to really tell anything from a picture, that type of frame damage I believe is pretty easy to fix. I think the real answer to your questions lies in the details of what else is broken, bent, etc. Things can start adding up. Until you know that I don't see how any conclusions can be drawn.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
DonutHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
You have no idea how much this could cost. Plus for whatever damage you see, there will most likely be damage you do no see. I would suspect the repairs, parts, paint refinishing would equal thousands of dollars which is why the owners insurance company isn't paying to repair it.
I know what replacing body panels will cost, there will be no labor or paint refinishing for this. Will be spending time at the junkyard/car-part.com. This is a 14 year old Jeep, it will never see the inside of a spray booth.

No doubt insurance would never fix this for book labor and new parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
While hard to really tell anything from a picture, that type of frame damage I believe is pretty easy to fix. I think the real answer to your questions lies in the details of what else is broken, bent, etc. Things can start adding up. Until you know that I don't see how any conclusions can be drawn.
Yup, its a bit silly to ask such a question on a forum sight unseen. I inspected as much as I could and it seems fine aside from this frame thing. Actually pretty clean all over for an old Jeep, helps that its a So Cal Jeep.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM
VARIABLE9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutHands View Post
I know what replacing body panels will cost, there will be no labor or paint refinishing for this. Will be spending time at the junkyard/car-part.com. This is a 14 year old Jeep, it will never see the inside of a spray booth.

No doubt insurance would never fix this for book labor and new parts.

Yup, its a bit silly to ask such a question on a forum sight unseen. I inspected as much as I could and it seems fine aside from this frame thing. Actually pretty clean all over for an old Jeep, helps that its a So Cal Jeep.
As Marko from Tropoja says to Bryan Mills in Taken, "Good luck"

2000 TJ Sport, aka 'el óxido'
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 12:50 PM
TheBoogieman
Made in the USA

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
As Marko from Tropoja says to Bryan Mills in Taken, "Good luck"
I prefer Bryan Mills to Marko, "If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."
VARIABLE9 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-21-2017, 12:53 AM
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If the frame is bent it's an total in the eyes of insurance companies. I guess my answer would depend on what uou want it for, offroad toy or more daily driver. At the worst you can buy a frame and trade it all over

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 AM
b00mb00m
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Damage looks light. Reason for buying wrecked is to to cut cost so make sure the effort saves you some money. That front section Seems weak and only lateral support is that flimsy cross tube. Seems like if you cut tube out the frame pieces could me more easily pushed back into place then support with a new cross tube and maybe an extra support nearer to oil pan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.