Looking for help Code P0303 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for help Code P0303

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
drl650
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for help Code P0303

I get this code P0303(M) CYLINDER #3 MISFIRE Misfire detected in cylinder #3
2004 Rubicon with 51000 miles.Any one here have this problem? Thanks.

drl650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
dflesher65
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I posted about 2 weeks ago with the exact same code...I bought some new plugs and reset the computer and now everything is back to normal. Any chance you still have the factory warrenty?
dflesher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflesher65 View Post
I posted about 2 weeks ago with the exact same code...I bought some new plugs and reset the computer and now everything is back to normal. Any chance you still have the factory warrenty?
7 Years later?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

When was your last tuneup? Is probably a plug issue or injector issue.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
etterdog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you have coil packs you could pull the #3 coil pack and try switching it with another like #1 and if it brings up a code for #1 the it would be the coil pack. might help narrow it down more for you.
etterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etterdog View Post
If you have coil packs you could pull the #3 coil pack and try switching it with another like #1 and if it brings up a code for #1 the it would be the coil pack. might help narrow it down more for you.
Have you ever looked at the 2000-2006 4.0L coil on rail setup?...
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
etterdog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry that's right they're an all in one setup. I haven't worked on them allot. Just trying to help
etterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
longbluerubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have an 05 LJ and had a P0303. Did some research, one thing I found you may want to check out due to hot weather now is a TSB about rough idle and P0303 after a 10-20 minute drive in 90+ temps. The TSB info is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/p...isfire-394071/. Pulled the plug, didn't see any issues, I cleared the code and put a piece of plastic tube over the injector (didn't buy the kit) and haven't had problems since, been a while now. Not sure if this is what fixed the problem but it hasn't shown backup again. Just something else to consider.
1" BL, JKS adj front & rear trackbars, JKS discos
33" BFG A/T
longbluerubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbluerubi View Post
I have an 05 LJ and had a P0303. Did some research, one thing I found you may want to check out due to hot weather now is a TSB about rough idle and P0303 after a 10-20 minute drive in 90+ temps. The TSB info is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/p...isfire-394071/. Pulled the plug, didn't see any issues, I cleared the code and put a piece of plastic tube over the injector (didn't buy the kit) and haven't had problems since, been a while now. Not sure if this is what fixed the problem but it hasn't shown backup again. Just something else to consider.

I had the p303 issue and hot hard start for years, I changed plugs, cleaned the tps, and nothing helped and then I did TSB mentioned above.

I took it to the dealer. I called them to do a little research and they said it only takes a coupled of minutes. They said they would do it for 35 bucks so I let them.

Parts are about 5 bucks and it seems easy. The only question I had was how do you know if you set the injector back in correctly.

My jeep isn't a daily driver and I haven't really had it out and about much so not sure if it actually fixed the problem.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
The only question I had was how do you know if you set the injector back in correctly.
You don't remove the injector when performing this TSB...
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
longbluerubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The only question I had was how do you know if you set the injector back in correctly.
I didn't remove the injector. I read the instructions on the TSB and it basically gave you something two wrap around where the injector goes in, so I just slipped a small piece of the black, split ribbed electrical conduit on it, figured that would deflect enough of the heat away. Haven't had the problem since, so thinking that may have done it (I have a 17 minute drive to/from work so I'm frequently in that 10-20 minute heat soak time).
1" BL, JKS adj front & rear trackbars, JKS discos
33" BFG A/T
longbluerubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well ****!
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Parts required:
56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield

Repair procedure:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length. See diagram.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position.
TSB for the cold start rough idle and P0303 code: TSB 18-010-01
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

I say that and just thought I had to remove the injector.

Unread 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
FJ40convert7
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 04 Rubicon that just gave me that code on friday. Changed the plugs and have not had an issue YET. Cheap fix so far!
FJ40convert7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40convert7 View Post
I have an 04 Rubicon that just gave me that code on friday. Changed the plugs and have not had an issue YET. Cheap fix so far!
If it is the same issue you will know. If the motor is hot, it is a hot day, and you jeep is harder to start and then runs like crap for about 30 seconds you will probably benefit from this TSB.

Unread 06-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If it is the same issue you will know. If the motor is hot, it is a hot day, and you jeep is harder to start and then runs like crap for about 30 seconds you will probably benefit from this TSB.
It worked for my 2000 Sport...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.