Looking for first Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for first Jeep

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
dirtydeeds07

Looking for first Jeep

I am in the process of looking for a daily driver and would like to find a Jeep. I would much appreciate any input that you can offer. Such as things to look for or things to be mindful of. Here is a posting of a Jeep I am interested in. Thank you for your time.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ngId=123434561

dirtydeeds07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Looks like rust is eating it up. A search a good bit south and you will find jeeps with no rust. May take a days drive but you are years ahead on dealing with rust.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
MKfarm
2011 JK Wrangler 

Check the frame out very close. In addition pick up the carpet and check the front and rear floor pans.

If the frame shows any signs of rust through I would run away as fast as you can. Floor pans can be fixed but could be a clear sign of bigger rust problems.

Trying to save and patch a well rusted frame can get expensive and be a loosing battle.
MKfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
CommonSense
2000 TJ Wrangler 

do you know anyone on this forum that has more knowledge of TJs in your area that can go with you to look at jeeps? If not, we all can and will still help...It will just be a little more time consuming... Anyhow, some pointers from me would be look for a bone stock jeep that has what your looking for in the engine / tranny of your choice. I would also look for jeeps just outside your price range and go look at those. look for some stuff wrong with it and negotiate the price into your budget ( or hopefully less!!) good luck!
CommonSense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just by the photos, rust appears to be a issue. No spare tire?, might be a sign that the rust may be into the tailgate hinge area and can't hold up the tire? nice shinny tires, they probably also sprayed the engine with that crap to make it look "new".
I bet if you see it in person you will find more rust. If your serious about this thing, I would have them put it up on the lift which will give you a better idea of the rust, bet there are some leaks too.
I say keep looking, and buy the most jeep you can possibly afford.. sometimes its cheaper in the long run
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Looks like rust is eating it up. A search a good bit south and you will find jeeps with no rust. May take a days drive but you are years ahead on dealing with rust.
This is exactly what I did. Living in Michigan I drove to Missouri to buy my jeep and it stays in the garage thru the winter months. 8 hrs of driving was worth it to not bust knuckles, or worse every time I need to loosen a bolt.
rda616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.