Looking for a definitive answer - hp 30 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for a definitive answer - hp 30

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 08-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #16
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
When I installed my HPd30 5 years ago i had adjustable lowers (TF) and OEM uppers with a 4" lift, I changed to Currie lowers later on. That was 4 years ago and it's still working well:

LP front axle drive shafts don't do well with this:

Oh yeah, that's a TW DS...
i think what this means is because of the relationship between caster and pinion angle, and also because its worked for others with any combination of upper and lower control arms, that you angles need to simply be within a certain range and there really may not be a "perfect" angle for either. just within a range of difference in degrees.

WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
i think what this means is because of the relationship between caster and pinion angle, and also because its worked for others with any combination of upper and lower control arms, that you angles need to simply be within a certain range and there really may not be a "perfect" angle for either. just within a range of difference in degrees.
I'm running 4.5 degree caster...
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I'm running 4.5 degree caster...
im probably going to look pretty stupid, but i dont know what my pinion or caster angles are off the top of my head. can you clarify whether you adjusted either of them and why?
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #19
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

If your caster angle is too little or too much your Jeep will track terribly and for some reason my steering feels very sloppy. Once caster is adjusted properly the Jeep SHOULD track and handle as well as it did stock (unless you have issues somewhere else)

Pinion angle is set to get rid of driveline vibes caused from too severe of driveshaft angles.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
im probably going to look pretty stupid, but i dont know what my pinion or caster angles are off the top of my head. can you clarify whether you adjusted either of them and why?
With the belly-up TC skid, 4" lift, HPd30 and 35" tires my pinion angle is within 1 degree of being straight with the DS. I then checked my caster angle and it was at 4.5 degree's which is proper for my setup...HTH

Tags
hp30 , d30 , dana 30 , uca , upper , control arm , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.