Looking for a definitive answer - hp 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking for a definitive answer - hp 30

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for a definitive answer - hp 30

I managed to shred the inside of my lp 30 last week and need a stronger and cost effective solution to replace it with - HP 30.

With the cost of a new ring and pinion for my old lp axle and the cost to have someone come to my house and set up the new gears I have been considering getting an hp 30 from ECGS.

Now to my question. After much searching I can't seem to find whether or not i will need adjustable upper ca s or not. Some say i will need them to correct caster angle but others say the caster will be the same as it is now. I'm at 2.5 inches of lift and have no driveshaft or caster angle problems.

So will i need adjustable control arms to correct caster angle when I do the swap?

Also will the stock front driveshaft work fine with an hp 30 at 2.5 inches of lift?

Thanks!

ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

sorry i have no definitive answer for you... my suggestion would be to get the axle and install it w/o adjustable uppers, then see if you need them or not. its just one of those things that you can't really tell before hand. many will say you need them, but you could get away with out them. and it wouldn't kill you to drive it with stock uppers for a little while if your caster is off. my caster is wayyy off, i am on almost 5" of lift with stock uppers and drive it everyday and plan on doing so until i can afford adjustable uppers. good luck with your axle swap!
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
So will i need adjustable control arms to correct caster angle when I do the swap?
With that amount of lift you're right on the fence with the arms or not. I'd say yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
Also will the stock front driveshaft work fine with an hp 30 at 2.5 inches of lift?
Technically the HP would raise the output of the driveshaft. Therefor making it "near stock".

When I did my HP D30 and 3.5" lift I pretty much did them together. I did use replacement lower/upper arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy just swaped in a HP30. The driveshaft was fine at 4", he allready had adj. control arms. I'm picking up a HP30 tonight. I allready have adj. control arms. If you want to adj. the caster you'll need adj control arms. My jeep drove alot nicer when i adj. my caster. They are a very worth while investment.
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Djole

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just did a hp30 and 8.8 swap in my 04. I have 2 in BB and zj v8 springs in the front with a winch and heavy front bumper, so my front lift is probably close to 2.5. I have Rokmen adjustable control arms and I had to extend the bottoms far out due to the pinion setting to low on the hp axle. my upper arms are as short as possible.
Djole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The main reason I bought my control arms was for strength.
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did my arms at the same time as the HP30. I have the stock uppers and adjustable lowers, I also only bought the LCA's for strength as my stockers were getting pretty gnarly. 2.5" of lift.

The stock drive shaft works fine.
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm looking at getting a set of currie adjustables for the front. Would you suggest upper or lower ones. I am leaning towards lowers because i would get the strength benefit as well. Also any other good brands you would suggest?
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, there is no definitive answer. If there was one, it would be in the other threads as well.

I used my stock length driveshaft. I already had adjustable uppers and adjusted them differently to get my caster dialed in. Which was easier and required less sacrificing of pinion angle.

There you have it...another non-definitive yet somewhat helpful answer.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I've kind of accepted that I will need adjustable arms now I am trying to decide if I should get uppers or lowers. I am leaning towards Currie but am open to suggestions
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You MIGHT not need adjustable uppers...but with that said, they are nice to have since you can dial in your pinion angle and/or your caster. I'd get them if you can afford them. Curries are very nice, and then as the $$ becomes available you can continue to buy the Curries one pair at a time.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When I installed my HPd30 5 years ago i had adjustable lowers (TF) and OEM uppers with a 4" lift, I changed to Currie lowers later on. That was 4 years ago and it's still working well:

LP front axle drive shafts don't do well with this:

Oh yeah, that's a TW DS...
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So then Curries are the best for the money then. I know the johnny joints on them are respected as the best and I don't have the 340$ to shell out for the JKS ones. 230 for uppers and 250 for lowers for the Currie ones isn't too bad.

So my question is can I get the Currie adj. lowers instead of the uppers to adjust my caster and pinion angle? That way I could replace my abused lower arms in the process?
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I see knucklehead answered my last question mid-post. So
Currie lowers it is, and an hp30 for ECGS all for cheaper than getting new gears for the old lp 30. Sounds good to me. I will order them tomorrow!!
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you looked at ironman 4x4 fab control arms? He uses currie joints and they are priced pretty decent. Everyone I have seen who runs them loves them too. http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/TJ_Inventory.html
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hp30 , d30 , dana 30 , uca , upper , control arm , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.