Looking at a 2000 Wrangler/350 Chevy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking at a 2000 Wrangler/350 Chevy

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
marco427

Looking at a 2000 Wrangler/350 Chevy

Trying to judge how much it's worth, The Jeep has 77k miles, and the seller claims that the engine/trans swap (TH 350 auto) was only done 2500 miles ago. Other than the drive train, the vehicle is unmodified and very clean, and the installation looks professional. I will drive it when the seller returns from vacation next week, but I'm in a fog as to an offer.

marco427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

if it's carbureted, ask him if he will pay you to take it away...or better yet, run.

if its fuel injected, figure it's worth quite a bit less than a stock TJ in similar condition (see kbb.com).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
...if its fuel injected, figure it's worth quite a bit less than a stock TJ in similar condition (see kbb.com).
That is debatable.

A TJ with a V8 can fetch more money than a comparable stock TJ. Easily proved by looking at past sales.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
That is debatable.

A TJ with a V8 can fetch more money than a comparable stock TJ. Easily proved by looking at past sales.
It is definitely debatable. Without seeing the quality of the conversion I always have to assume less because the finer details of fit and finish is what makes custom stuff worth more, or even the same as an unmodified Jeep. And even then, it's only worth more or the same amount to the right buyer....not to everyone.

Especially when it's got an old 3-speed auto in it. That immediately tells me the person didn't want to put much money or effort into the conversion...and obviously didn't go for a street friendly overdrive transmission like a 4L60E or 700R4. It also strongly suggests the 350 is carb.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I wouldn't touch a swap with any engine with a carburetor if it has one, and I'm not really digging the TH350 either.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You might want to look into which county it is presently registered in..Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale counties all require it to pass an emissions test before you can get tags. You might want to check what axles he has under it as well, l would think a Dana 35 might not be stout enough for the kind of torque a 350 is capable of putting out. Have a look at the driveshafts, see if they have been shortened/lengthened and what do the welds look like on the tube. Also are they in line with the pinions, or does the driveshaft angle off to one side. If the engine is carburated, the installation is relatively straight forward compared to wiring a direct injected engine, There are kits available that do a nice job of tieing in the computers etc. With a TH350 , l too would not expect to see anything other then a carburetor on top of the manifold. Nothing wrong with that, but it indicates, at least to me that the owner probably got an engine out of an old pickup, cleaned it up and installed it. Get the engine serial number and you can easilly find out year, and application it was originally used in. Look on the passenger side head, at the front. There is a machined pad, might be obscured by the alternator, that should have two sets of numbers on it. Write them both down, l can' t remember which is which, but from those numbers you can find out a lot.
Unread 06-26-2015, 12:33 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Pure Evil Jeep freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's an idea in my area. Personally I wouldn't buy anything with a carb (if it has one).

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/5091538706.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.