Long term vehicle storage. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Long term vehicle storage.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Flyingpirate
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Long term vehicle storage.

Hey guys, I don't post much but I lurk and learn. I haven't found a topic on this yet but I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction.

I will be joining the armed forces this coming fall and I need some safe storage tips for my TJ until I come back.

so far my situation stands as is: current house will be sold after I leave, Friends have no off street parking, I might pull the insurance off it while I'm not using it (I don't trust my family driving it and most of my friends can't keep up with their own cars).

Thanks,
Jon

Flyingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
mateas
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't completely ditch insurance, talk to your agent and get a "storage plan", just in case someone breaks in or sets it on fire it'll be covered. Fill the tank (to decrease the chance of condensation, not that it would get that bad anyways) and put some stabil in to keep the gas good to go (again, not REALLY necessary but a good security blanket). Depending on where you store it, park it on cardboard so the concrete doesn't wik all the moisture out of the tires, or do like some folks and put it up on jackstands.. Unplug the battery before you leave. I used to let my Mustang sit all winter and these are the things I used to do.
Unread 06-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateas View Post
I wouldn't completely ditch insurance, talk to your agent and get a "storage plan", just in case someone breaks in or sets it on fire it'll be covered. Fill the tank (to decrease the chance of condensation, not that it would get that bad anyways) and put some stabil in to keep the gas good to go (again, not REALLY necessary but a good security blanket). Depending on where you store it, park it on cardboard so the concrete doesn't wik all the moisture out of the tires, or do like some folks and put it up on jackstands.. Unplug the battery before you leave. I used to let my Mustang sit all winter and these are the things I used to do.
Excactly. DO NOT cancel your insurance. Also, since you're joining the military, contact USAA and get insurance through them. They'll be able to set up any kind of coverage you need and they have great service.

The only thing I'd add is that depending on how long you'll be gone, some storage companies have a service that they'll periodically start up your vehicle and maybe drive around the parking lot to keep it lubricated.

Good luck and welcome to the military!
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateas View Post
I store between two and four of my vehicles/motorcycles (depending on the current fleet ) in the winter, and all of the above are great suggestions.

Expanding on these a bit: when you fill the tank, fill it all the way, as much as possible. The less room for air in the tank, the less room for condensation. I usually don't run stabil in the cars, but I do for my bikes (carborated).

Keeping cardboard under the vehicle will also keep moisture from rising from the ground/concrete to a degree. I usually use a big tarp underneath.

I also use jackstands - 8 per car. I use four to lift on the frame, and four more on each wheel to keep the suspension hanging at full droop. This gets the weight off the springs, but also keeps the stress of the suspension bits (CAs in particular - more important on an FWD car than a Jeep).

Additionally, some sort of car cover (soft and breathable, so don't just toss a tarp over it - a couple bed sheets would work) would be a good idea. Plug up your tailpipe with something, a rag or a cap. (then write a note on the dash to remind you to take it out before you start it - experience speaking ) This will keep any critters from making a home in your muffler. Spread some mothballs around the vehicle on the ground. I usually toss a couple in the trunk and passenger compartment in a little pie tin. Probably overkill, but I do an oil change before putting them away as well. Good luck
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
bpm44
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also don't forget to change your oil when you pull it out of storage to start driving it again. Moisture will build up just from temperature and climate changes causing condensation. I also used to throw a battery tender on my racecar during the off-season periodically (if where you store it someplace with power maybe someone could do it for you). Good luck and thanks for serving!

Last edited by bpm44; 06-12-2009 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: poor spelling
bpm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes make sure you change the oil before you start it up to get it out of storage. The oil will and does turn acidic. Use stabil in your fuel. jack it up so your tires dont flat spot. moth balls and pluging the exhaust are also good ideas. And definatly keep atleast storage insurance on it.

Thank you for your service to our once great country. I can only hope that she will be great again. Lets hope that bush did not totally put us in the crapper!!!!
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very good advice here. I'd add to only leave a spare key with someone you trust that won't drive it, but just to have a key incase it needs to be moved. Then also leave instructions on what you did to prep it for storage so that they know. You might also put something on it like a club just to help discourage someone.

Also regarding insurance, on my TJ I have an occasional use policy on it, which for State Farm is no more then 6,000 miles a year.

And thanks as well for serving! Best wishes.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
Flyingpirate
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help! I found a few storage places that are climate controlled within an affordable range. I'll have to look into the care taker services thanks for bringing that up Razorbac.
Flyingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.