Long term Storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Long term Storage

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Long term Storage

Hey guys, I'm about to store my Jeep for about 15 months. It will be stored in a storage unit, not outside. What do I need to do to it before I put it away?

Thanks,
Brian

Libtekguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivka
Returning From Sabbatical

2005 LJ Wrangler 

other folks can answer the jeep question in more detail in regards to the engine, but here are a few things that get left of some lists

and brian,
i just wanted to say thank you and wish you a safe boring deployment and a timely return. take care of yourself

As for the jeep:
i would think the best thing id to get some one to drive it every few weeks, but when that is not an option i would include in the list

• remove the battery and attach it to a AC trickle charger
• i would think about jacking it up and onto jack-stands, to take the static weight of the tires and suspension
• make sure it is clean and dry, the soft top is up if it has one but the windows are not fully closed so moisture does not get caught (if you need to close it up for some reason, there are , buy a bag of that silicon crystal cat little and pour it in a tray and set it inside, it will help absorb and stabilize moisture
• clean and flip windshield wipers away from the windshield
• if you care about the paint, wash and wax it, that will make cleaning it after you come back smoother
•grease all you greas points

folks with more engine and fluids knowledge can talk about the rest

"Teach a man how to take his doors off and he will enjoy his Jeep for a day,
teach him to search the forums and he will enjoy his Jeep for life!"
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Jackle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

like Rivka said.......plus i'd go through and :

-change the oil
-change the anti-freeze
-change your trans fluid if its an auto (however do not change it if it has been more than 60,000miles since it was last changed)
-add some fuel stabilizer to your fuel tank

that's as far as i can think but im sure someone else will have some more
Jackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Rivka
Returning From Sabbatical

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i've always been confused by the fuel thing, some folks say drain it all out with a syphon, others say top it off and add stabilizer.

anyone who really knows there stuff wanna state pros and cons?

"Teach a man how to take his doors off and he will enjoy his Jeep for a day,
teach him to search the forums and he will enjoy his Jeep for life!"
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka
i've always been confused by the fuel thing, some folks say drain it all out with a syphon, others say top it off and add stabilizer.

anyone who really knows there stuff wanna state pros and cons?

My best guess would be to keep the tank full with stabilizer in it. I think that is to help prevent moisture from acumulating in the tank and rusting it out.

By the way, thanks for all the advice!
Brian
Libtekguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
papabear1963

My jeep is almost 16 months old and as of right now it has 660 miles on it.With its age and milage you can tell it is stored quite a bit(all winter,in the garage,under a cover).Only thing I do is top off the tank with fresh gas and add the fuel stabilizer.I start it once every few months to circulate the fluids.In the spring it will get its first oil change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.