Long starts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Long starts

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Sicks
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Long starts

Hello,

I am a frequent reader of these forums and have found those who post VERY helpful.

I have a 2000 jeep tj sport. You can see it on my profile. The only changes to stock that might contribute this problem are plugs and muffler. The rest is surface stuff.

When I start my jeep cold, it starts up within 2 seconds of turning the key witn not cranking. If I start it up hot.... within 30 minutes of it being run previously, it starts up just as quick.

If I start it up warm... anywhere from an hour to three hours of sitting, It cranks for 10-30 seconds before starting. I have a red top battery so I am not concerned of it cranking to a drained battery, but feel I will eventually destroy my starter.

Any one else experienced this issue? Any ideas? I have been told maybe the plugs, which are about a year old now.... 20k miles max or the fuel pump. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Average Jeeper

Sicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds fuel-related to me. Hard starting with a hot engine can be due to fuel pressure, vapor lock, winter-grade gasoline, etc. I'd start by checking your fuel pressure, and maybe checking your plugs, as well.

What kind of plugs do you have, incidentally? If you say "Bosch" I'll hunt you down and beat you.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It very well could be either a leaky injector or a leaky fuel check valve in the tank.
Does it blow black smoke when it takes long cranks to start? If not then look at check valve, it requires tank removal.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Sicks
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. So I wont say it.
I've had them in for almost a year now and it's been like this for 2 months. Should I go with something else?
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Sicks
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No black smoke. No backfire of any kind.

Tags
starter , start , tj , wrangler , problem , delay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.