Long Arm suspension...vs short arm suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Long Arm suspension...vs short arm suspension

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Long Arm suspension...vs short arm suspension

Does a long arm kit improve off road performance?

If so is the mod worth doing if you already have an aftermarket short arm suspension system?

GMC7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes and no
which LA susp are you looking at?
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Bitzorock
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It improves flex I believe.. Also with the long arm kit you are going to have to weld new mounts for the control arms. and maybe go with coilovers or limit straps to keep the springs in place.. Thats all I can really think of out of the reading I have done.. I am sure thats not all.

Richard Clark
06 Wrangler Unlimited
Bitzorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
yes and no
which LA susp are you looking at?

started off looking at Rubicon Express (I have a RE short arm, can use upgrade kit).......but I have run into some FABTech kits on the trails that seem pretty nice........
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have minimal experience with RE. Does the LA keep the short uppers and track bar?
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
mascun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC7000 View Post
started off looking at Rubicon Express (I have a RE short arm, can use upgrade kit).......but I have run into some FABTech kits on the trails that seem pretty nice........
I have the fabtech shortarm and love it lots of flex...as for your question it's up to are you willing to spend the thousands it takes to go LA and is it worth the time and money....but of course you will get a bit more flex outta the LA but I run with several guys who have LA's and I am able to get up all the obstacles they are and more at times. Alot of times it's driver ability that makes all the difference.
mascun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

the re eliminates the front uppers and has long rear uppers or a tri-link option

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what height is your RE SA?
Are you looking at the regular LA or tri link?
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Mascun,
----------------------------------------
I have a 3.5 inch RE shortarm....
--------------------------------------

The reason I ask this question is because I had a pretty famous builder tell me it is the best mod I could do to my rig..........(even told me it was a better addition than a front locker).........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have had other shops disagree.......
-------------------------------------------------

to date my problem with the Jeep World is that I have never once read or heard someone say they were disapointed in a product after spending $3,000 for an upgrade...................
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
to date my problem with the Jeep World is that I have never once read or heard someone say they were disapointed in a product after spending $3,000 for an upgrade...................
my transfer case

I also disagree with said famous shop. At that lift height it won't mater much.
Now, going LA rear (4 link) that removes the track bar will be a benefit. Theres no way to do this with the front and keep it low. I've been playing with a SA front and LA rear for a few months. The Jury is still out on it.
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

"my transfer case"

Thanks there is hope!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey Monday, yea I think my Jeep sits too high. After buying it I am now more interested in getting a low CG....

I have wondered about what you are doing, here is why, because for about the same price of a long arm kit you could use the Gen Right ext stretch kit and rear 4 link suspension.............I just was not sure what you would have to do to the front.......

so you are running a that set up now...LA rear and SA front?
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

to be fair to the shop, I have 3.5 inch short arm, 1 inch body lift....and 2" coil spacers on the front, this guy flipped out and said I really need to at least remove the 2" coil spacers..............but that a LA kit would be the ultimate cure.......he suggested a 5.5 inch LA kit....

now a few other things he said were not quite accurate for instance he said my shocks were maxed out and would not flex................but they do flex and travel

a salesmen from Rubicon Express also told me I need to remove the 2 inch coil spacers.........
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hey Monday, yea I think my Jeep sits too high. After buying it I am now more interested in getting a low CG....

I have wondered about what you are doing, here is why, because for about the same price of a long arm kit you could use the Gen Right ext stretch kit and rear 4 link suspension.............I just was not sure what you would have to do to the front.......

so you are running a that set up now...LA rear and SA front?
for 4 link
it's all Clayton (SA & LA) with a custom track bar up front.

Quote:
to be fair to the shop, I have 3.5 inch short arm, 1 inch body lift....and 2" coil spacers on the front, this guy flipped out and said I really need to at least remove the 2" coil spacers..............but that a LA kit would be the ultimate cure.......he suggested a 5.5 inch LA kit....
ditch the spacers
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks,,,,,would u ditch the spacers even at the expense of a little rubbing?

that would leave me with 3.5 inch suspension lift and a 1" body lift.................I just started running swamper 35 inch tires.......do you think that is enough lift for 35s?
Unread 09-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks,,,,,would u ditch the spacers even at the expense of a little rubbing?

that would leave me with 3.5 inch suspension lift and a 1" body lift.................I just started running swamper 35 inch tires.......do you think that is enough lift for 35s?
you might rub a bit. bring your bump stops down

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.