Long Arm Suspension - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Long Arm Suspension

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01

Your just jealous that you can't run 39's on 2" of lift and crawl over a dump truck

P.s. Telling us to save the hater comments..
Only makes us want to reply even more haha
Typical knucklehead comment.

That was somewhat amusing. Ok back on topic.

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
My RE long arm is an excellent kit and very HD. The road manners alone are worth the money to me. I routinely drive mine 5+ hrs and wheel it hard and drive it home. Plenty of pics in my gallery of it. Overall a decent kit.
I have the 5.5 RE long arm and love it! It's stout and very well built. It's a good design but there are others.
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I'm not trying to be knuckle head either, but I'm running factory stock upper and lower control arms, and they flex well enough to unseat my 4 inch lift coil springs by a couple of inches at full flex before the tire leaves the ground. Any more flex than that is just an rti score, it's not really helpful off road in my opinion due to the fact that even though the tire is still touching the ground, there really isn't any weight pushing down against it to improve traction. No traction is pretty much the same thing as it being up in the air... no matter how much flex you have. A long arm kit is said to ride better on road, but off road most of them rob ground clearance between the axles, and any benefit to the added flex is unused unless major modifications are made to the shocks, springs, mounts, steering, trackbar, mounting locations, and a few other variables.

If stock bushings can flex enough to unseat 4" coils, then Johnny Joint style bushings will flex at least as much, and probably more, while maintaining much better control of the axle. I don't run them yet, but I plan on upgrading to them eventually.

Unless you're building a buggy, with huge lower control arm links, raised and centered under the vehicle, with ample protection for bashing against and dropping onto sharp pointy rocks, the only benefit I see with an off the shelf long arm set up would be highway ride.

Just my .02
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good post.
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
divco13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is mine with a 5.5. Re. Had it for 5 years. 36 Iroc Radials. Perfect no wobble, very stable at 90 mph.
I have a set of high steer Knuckle, going on next week.

6-2010-2020011-20from-20camer-20at-20re-20boot-20112.jpg   114.jpg  
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divco-Milk-Truck/102362503162366
divco13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #21
64krusty
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran my jeep with a short arm for 2 years then I installed a RC long arm in my daugters Jeep.
Now I have the RC upgrade in mine and all I can say is what an improvement.
I have a 2003 Sport with 35's and a 2004.5 Unlimited with 31's and the Sport finally drives as nice as the Unlimited.
64krusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #22
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64krusty
I ran my jeep with a short arm for 2 years then I installed a RC long arm in my daugters Jeep.
Now I have the RC upgrade in mine and all I can say is what an improvement.
I have a 2003 Sport with 35's and a 2004.5 Unlimited with 31's and the Sport finally drives as nice as the Unlimited.
Sweet.
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
and I didn't listen to the knuckleheads on here and spend $9,000 for a short arm lift kit that wont even go over a speed bump and is a foot off the ground.
OK, I'll play since I'm probably high up on that list of "knuckleheads."

What exactly does arm length have to do with shock travel, up travel, and belly clearance?
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #24
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I run the 4" Rough County Long Arm, no complaints at all, flexes great, rides great on the road, and I didn't listen to the knuckleheads on here and spend $9,000 for a short arm lift kit that wont even go over a speed bump and is a foot off the ground. Do what your BUDGET allows. Enjoy.

- And you can save all the hater reply's, no one cares that you run 39s on 2" of lift and can crawl over a dump truck.
Oh Man you opened up a can of worms Oh and nice flex...... The YJ I sold last year flexes better than your LongArm TJ and I only had 800 into the LEAF SPRING suspension.

Unread 09-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #25
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

All I'm saying is if you cheap out on suspension, you are going to get crap. You get what you pay for, I'll leave it at that.

And for those saying short arms can't flex.....these are stock control arms and a 2 inch suspension lift with 31s

A well built short arm system (Go look at Impeds build thread because his is a perfect example of a short arm lift that works how it should.) will out perform any long arm system on the market. It has more clearance and can ride just as well on road as an expensive PROPER (not RC) long arm setup.
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #26
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We've run the 5.5 RE LA with Tri-Link for about 5 years now and ran the RE 4.5 SA prior. The LA has better on road manners than the SA did. in my opinion. BUT, to do it again with what I know now, I'd likely go with the Savvy/Currie SA lift and flat skid it.

Here ^^^ you can see how far the RE LA skid hangs down from the frame on the late model.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #27
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...and I didn't listen to the knuckleheads on here and spend $9,000 for a short arm lift kit that wont even go over a speed bump and is a foot off the ground...

- And you can save all the hater reply's...
Quote:
Typical knucklehead comment...
Name caller...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #28
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im right on with robncar. I run the RE LAs with 3.5" springs. My rear arms scrape on everything (I have an LJ so theyre about a mile long). Ive yet to get stuck because of this just a note. That said, as a DD, its rediculous how much better it rides than when it was on SAs.
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #29
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For those of you that had SA's and saw a huge improvement with LA's, what did you have prior to the LA's? It likely wasn't even close to the short arm setup that 'we supporters' are referring to.

LA's ride better due to the flatter angle, right? Simple force components. I want some numbers.....

1)Angle of lowers @ static ride height
2)Bellly height for ****s and giggles
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #30
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

OK, I'll play since I'm probably high up on that list of "knuckleheads."

What exactly does arm length have to do with shock travel, up travel, and belly clearance?
No, your not a knucklehead. I respect your views and opinions. The knuckleheads are the people (usually young teens with daddys money) who are trying to jump on board with the dumb replies, only starving for your attention.

For the member with the YJ that flexed better then me, more power to you and whatever helps you sleep at night.
I am very happy with my setup, and enjoy wheeling and having fun. I didnt want to build a rock crawler, i wanted an everyday driver I could enjoy and get back and forth from work.
Rokmen, Currie are nice parts, but I went this route. I am sorry if that bothers some of you.
If you are happy with your short arm set up, great. But please dont flame someone because they dont have parents that buy them whatever that want for thier Jeep.

Tags
long arm kit , susepnsion lift , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.