which long arm kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > which long arm kit?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Wrangler_Boy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

which long arm kit?

hi guys, i have a 1997 tj and im looking for a long arm kit. im running 31s right now and to be able to run big tread 35s for mudding but 33s would be alright. which kit is best for me? im looking for a 3-4" lift and all the parts, not one of those hacked together ones. i want an all inclusive kit. which one is the best overall? which one is best of the cash? should i piece it together myself? any insight with this height rage, please hit me up with what you have and how you like it. thanks guys

Wrangler_Boy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It seems like the long arm trend is pretty much stalled out. It seems short arms are back in again. I've never owned a long arm setup to offer any pros or cons with them, but others that do, will I'm sure.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_Boy97 View Post
hi guys, i have a 1997 tj and im looking for a long arm kit. im running 31s right now and to be able to run big tread 35s for mudding but 33s would be alright. which kit is best for me? im looking for a 3-4" lift and all the parts, not one of those hacked together ones. i want an all inclusive kit. which one is the best overall? which one is best of the cash? should i piece it together myself? any insight with this height rage, please hit me up with what you have and how you like it. thanks guys
The only complete kit I have is the Rough Country 4 inch X-series Long Arm Lift Kit. I personally run their Long arm upgrade kit. The geometry of the kit isn't ideal. The anti squat number is really high and there are other short comings. That can be said for most bolt in long arm kits in my experience.

A lot of people will tell you a well built short arm kit will perform better for you and not to "waste" your money on long arms. For the wheeling I do I have enjoyed my long arms on and off road.

I'll be doing a frame swap soon and I'm undecided on whether I want to go with a triangulated 4 link with long arms or go back to the stock control arm mounts and do a solid short arm lift.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like a quote!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I run the 5.5" RE LA with tri-link. To do it over today, I wouldn't run a long arm.
I'd run a Savvy 4" SA and flat skid it to the frame.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Wrangler_Boy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

okay, well since it seems to be that short arm lifts are the way to go...what should i be looking for in that market? most inclusive one? best for money?
Wrangler_Boy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
LubbTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy/Currie 4" short arm.. imo. It's what I'm running currently, no complaints here.. except my fox shocks seem a little stiff, but I don't have any weight on my jeep yet. As in bumpers.. spare tire.. rear seat is out.. no winch.. no armor.. so I'm really light at the moment.

I don't mud though. I avoid that BAD stuff. Nothing worse than mud for any vehicle, except maybe sand. Mud is fun.. but not worth it for me. =)

There's extra's you need to clear 35's on this kit..
1.25" bodylift
1" MML, I recommend Browndog
SYE and new driveshaft
You'll likely want a Novak shifter kit for your 4x4 shifter cause your linkage will make annoying popping noises after you lift it.
You may or may not need a M.O.R.E 1" steering bracket lift (Mine needed it, steering shaft was rubbing on the firewall)
If you get Antirock swaybar... it will rub on your Tierod/draglink connection
Get the kit with the rear track bar
And you will likely have to re-route your Muffler/tailpipe (Not a big deal, local shop did mine for $60)
4.56 or 4.88 gear ratio
New speedometer gear
LubbTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_Boy97 View Post
okay, well since it seems to be that short arm lifts are the way to go...what should i be looking for in that market? most inclusive one? best for money?
What's your budget. I would look at the Savvy / Currie lift

Sent from my XT881 freeze ray gun using JeepForum.
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Mitchin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Metal Cloak!!!
NIGHT CREW #16
Yellow Jeep Club #67

My Build Thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...-sport-973277/
Mitchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
i run the 5.5" re la with tri-link. To do it over today, i wouldn't run a long arm.
I'd run a savvy 4" sa and flat skid it to the frame.
x2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
mason93
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OP, there is a ton of info on this site about this. Spend some time searching and reading through older posts and I guarantee you will learn way more that way than starting another thread.

But as others have said, you will mostly find people recommending savvy & metalcloak.
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Having had a 4" RE short arm kit and going to a 5 1/2"RE long arm, tri-link kit now, if I was to do it over again it would be the Savvy/Currie 4" short arm no questions asked...
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've got 3" BDS springs and RE super flex short arms. I'd love some 4" Currie springs and Currie/Savvy short arms if I ever change them out.

I've heard good things about the Metalcloak arms too
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.