locking hubs for tj dana 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > locking hubs for tj dana 30

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
ClassicRiderhp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

locking hubs for tj dana 30

do they make locking hubs for a dana 30 5x4.5 or is the conversion necessary to install locking hubs. The only thing i could find was a 1200$ locking hub conversion kit that goes from stock 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 but not locking hub that will fit to a tj d30

Unread 09-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You found it.

Why do you want locking hubs? or rather, unlocking hubs.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The only way to install locking hubs on the TJ D30 is to install a conversion kit. Warn has one for around $1200 and Mile Marker has one for around $700.

Why do you think you need locking hubs?
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

the warn kit is no longer avail. you may find a few here and there, but warn is not manufacturing it anymore. randy's ring and pinion purchased the rights or whatever for the kit. i dunno bout the mm kit. i have the warn kit on mine with the small hubs.
tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
JA66
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Probably because the unit bearings suck, and if you break a front axle, you can unlock the hubs and drive, instead of taking it apart.
JA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA66 View Post
Probably because the unit bearings suck...
For something that "sucks", unit bearings do a fine job for the vast majority of Jeep drivers.
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
For something that "sucks", unit bearings do a fine job for the vast majority of Jeep drivers.
true, but once you start adding big tires and offset wheels you bit a lot more strain on the hubs. i love my warns and wouldn't dream of switching back to reg hubs, but to each his own.
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

btw, i just read the write up for the warn hub conv on stu's site. very good info on the pros and cons of having/not having the conv. there is also a scenario with pics at the end of the article.
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Milemarker is about all there is new out there. Still a few Warn kits floating around. The unitbearings work fine for me. With the cost of some of these kits it might be cheaper to swap in a larger steering axle.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdriver View Post
btw, i just read the write up for the warn hub conv on stu's site. very good info on the pros and cons of having/not having the conv. there is also a scenario with pics at the end of the article.
link to site?
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

I'd bet this is it:

Warn Hub Conversion - 1

Dave aka Ghan
Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gracias
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
ClassicRiderhp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Same as said above. I want locking hubs so I can free the axle if I blow my Dana 30. Why else would someone get locking hubs besides preserving axle and gear life with them being free for street driving
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Probably because the unit bearings suck.
Do tell.

When's the last time you disassembled a hub, spindle, knocked the races loose and repacked all the bearings? How long did that take? 2-3 hours?

It takes 10 minutes to pull the entire unit bearing off and install a new one.

I've disassembled a hub on a buddy's truck before...man that sucked. I'd much rather have unit bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRiderhp View Post
Same as said above. I want locking hubs so I can free the axle if I blow my Dana 30. Why else would someone get locking hubs besides preserving axle and gear life with them being free for street driving
go to the junkyard, buy a set of used shafts and unit bearings. saw off the ears on the inner shaft. bingo, cheap lockouts.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Probably because the unit bearings suck, and if you break a front axle, you can unlock the hubs and drive, instead of taking it apart.
You are very unfamiliar with breakage and hub conversions, aren't you?

Three things break in the front axle with the small conversion.

Hubs, and although you could drive that way, do you really want all the mud/dust/dirt/whatever getting into the outer bearing? Not really, and it's also very rare that if you are in a place where a hub breaks, you don't still need 4 wheel drive. So, you're fixing it to get home.

U-joints- As above, when and where would you break one that you don't still need 4 wheel drive? Yep, you're fixing it or getting towed to where you can drive in 2 wheel drive.

And finally, the inner axle breaks and yep, you guessed it, tow until you can use 2WD or fix it.

I am a big fan of hub conversions, I own or have owned many many of the Warn versions for years and still currently have at least 2 complete ones floating around. We've also run the crap out of them in JV where they are very nice to have.

Nowadays though, the only good reason to own one is so you can finish out the trail in 4wd with a bent front driveshaft and then unlock the front to get back to camp or home.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.