Locking front axle and drivability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking front axle and drivability

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
Pointblank

Locking front axle and drivability

Are their any driveability issues with adding a locker to the front axle?

Those of you with them, do you notice any difference on the road (in 2wd) with them?

How about off-road? I know the locker will allow one wheel to travel faster so you can turn, but Im curious how it effects steering. Is it harder to steer with it locked? Does it tend to want to go straight? Or does the system work well.

With a little luck(and alot of money), I'll be doing a gear swap this winter and as long as Im in there, I want to add some kind of traction aid. Ive been looking at Limited slips and lockers and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for your help.
Greg

Unread 11-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

It really depends on the locker. An auto locker like an Aussie or Lockright is a locker that locks/unlocks itself by its self. Other lockers like the OX or ARB are manually opened or closed. But operate on totally different principals.

If you are in 2 wheeld drive then you should notice no differences in drivability on the road. If you put it in 4wd then you will start to notice the differences. A locker like the ARB or OX will not allow the wheels to turn at differetn speeds. When they are locked they are LOCKED. An auto like the Aussie will actually let one wheel speed up over the other one instead of letting one wheel slow down.

On slick, icy roads is where you can really notice it if you are locked in. With an auto locker there is not enough traction to get the wheel speed to differ enough to get the locker to unlock. This can lead to pushing through turn and you ending up in the ditch.

Yes, lockers work well, provided you know what the effects of having one are and how to compensate for it. Try looking in the FAQ section and you will find several write ups that explain it in way more detail. But the short answer is as long as you are not locked into 4wd, you will notice no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a lunchbox locker in the front end of my 00 TJ -- a LockRight to be exact. On road in 2WD, it's completely invisible unless making super sharp turns or u-turns. Then it will ratchet and make some noise, the way it's supposed to.

Off road, it made an absolute world of difference. It made climbing rocks a ton easier, and was able to do things a lot easier than I was able to before. In 4WD it will make your Jeep push a bit when turning (turning the wheels, but it still plows forward more than normal), so you will need a bit more room to make turns than you normally would, or you will need to reverse it a little bit. Nothing big, but sometimes a pain if you're on a narrow sharp turned trail.

Definately a great add though...knowing what I know now, I would have done it sooner.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
TJTOM-Germany
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you are into ROCK crawling the TrueTrac is the perfect solution, it´s a limited slip with gears inside, perfect ! Put them front and rear you will not regret. Mud, snow, ice going in streets or back roads, they just work fine by themselves.
Just for real rock crawling you need another type of locker which closes the left and right wheel 100 percent, but this is for most other driving onditions a more unwanted condition as the Jeep will tend to brake out as you have the same wheel speed when cornering, and this does not work !!
reg.Tom
TJTOM-Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
Pointblank

I was kinda under the assumption that all lockers worked simmilar to a Detroit, that they allowed one of the wheels to spin faster to allow for cornering. I should have known that there are differences.

I have considered the true trac, and it could possibly be the way I go. But from what I understand, if you end up with one wheel off the ground, it can be difficult to get power over to the one still on the ground. This has led me to consider a locker, at least for the front.

Thanks
Greg
Unread 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Auburn ECTED and love it! Electronic selectable locker. Works as a limited slip when turned off. Best of all the worlds.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
Pointblank

I just did a quick net search on The Auburn ECTED and this just might be what Im looking for. The driveability and added traction of a limited slip, and you still have a locker when you need it.

Thanks REDLYNER!
Unread 11-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is about as trail tested as it gets- Rock crawling in Colorado and a recent romp in Moab.

I can't say enough about the ECTED.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd just go for the simplicity, effectiveness, and low-cost of a standard automatic locker up front, like a Lockrite or Aussie. Simple, holds up, and generally undetectable on the street when you're in 2wd.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.